The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Sci-Fi TV/Movies

Watchmen Review

Sci-Fi has amazed audiences since the dawn of television and movies. Come on in to chat about anything and everything Science Fiction.

Postby Dark-Samus » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:03 am

So my brother bought it last week and we saw it.
So here is my review on it...

Plot : 5

Typical american style thinking that everyone should kneel to their cause :roll:
And typical characters, causing trouble or other nonsense (Dr.Manhattan and Adrian Veidt)
just because one has been hurt by a woman and the other one because he has had enough with people when he doesn´t even know anything about suffering.
Anyway almost 1 hour of the movie could have been cut off seriously, alot of it was pure nonsense which had nothing really to do with the movie itself which made it boring specially at the beginning.
Rorschach was the only good hero really...while The Comedian was a realist turning as all other men do, into a homocidal perverted maniac :roll: :lol:

Music : 3

Music was utterly boring and uninspiring and possibly the worst soundtrack of all superhero movies ever made...

Characters : 6

Dr.Manhattan was just a lame excuse and with all that power he still had the mental capacity of a stupid regular male :roll:
Except for Rorschach the rest felt just lame...

Content : 5,5

Lots of pointless scenes and sex scenes that made this movie feel even more naive.
The good part started a bit after half of the movie...
The cold war feeling this alternate american version of history felt nice since without these heroes, both the US and Sovjet would still be equally matched...
Although typical american not to admit defeat and turn the Vietnam war into their victory and and making them submit to the US. :roll:

Character Design : 8

Very good design even though most looked so utterly gay sometimes... :lol:

Effects : 9

Nice entertaining effects so no baddies here.

Most Impressive : Nothing really, never got into the movie.

Most Disappointing : Dr.Manhattan, all power and he is still a weakminded freak :roll:

Total : 7

A movie that either you like or you don´t, I would have enjoyed it a bit more if it didn´t feel so naive.
Truth doesn´t control you, you control it...
Dark-Samus

Postby Wing-Zero » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:55 pm

Dark-Samus wrote:american style thinking that everyone should kneel to their cause :roll:

That's one of the points of the movie, buddy.

And typical characters, causing trouble or other nonsense (Dr.Manhattan and Adrian Veidt)
just because one has been hurt by a woman and the other one because he has had enough with people when he doesn´t even know anything about suffering.

Ozymandias hasn't had enough of people. He's changing the world using Manhattan as a scapegoat so that the hostilities that are happening abroad are instantly put on the back burner so that they can confront a much more terrible threat as a united world - Dr. Manhattan.

Manhattan was sick of people not because Silk Spectre left him, but because he was treated either like a tool or feared by the majority of the population. Couple that with the fact that he was accused of causing cancer, and the military that he worked for, for so many years, actually thought about terminating him.

Anyway almost 1 hour of the movie could have been cut off seriously, alot of it was pure nonsense which had nothing really to do with the movie itself which made it boring specially at the beginning.

The beginning is one of the best parts. It showed what happened to the first band of superheroes, and even though the majority of them did good for the people, were still looked down on for their personalities or preferences.

Rorschach was the only good hero really...

Typical.

while The Comedian was a realist turning as all other men do, into a homocidal perverted maniac :roll: :lol:

He wasn't turned into anything. That's how The Comedian always was, and that's what made his character so great. He was a villain in the body of a "superhero". Try and actually pay attention to his speeches during the riot, in the bar in Vietnam, and when Nite Owl is trying to get them to start another group of superheroes going.

Dr.Manhattan was just a lame excuse and with all that power he still had the mental capacity of a stupid regular male :roll:

Oh stfu. Manhattan was there as an antithesis to the rest of the Watchmen. He was the only one with actual powers. He had all the world's understanding and all the power the universe could possibly hold in the palm of his hands. He was a being bound by no laws of time or space.

He wasn't a male, he was something much more after he was turned into what he was.

Except for Rorschach the rest felt just lame...

I'm sick and tired of people liking Rorschach just because he beats the F*** out of people.

Rorschach hurt anybody he had to in order to get information, he took his anger out on a couple of dogs who had no way of knowing that what they were eating was a little girl, and all he really is a Batman rip-off in a cooler costume.

He's a f**kin' shitty character.

Although typical american not to admit defeat and turn the Vietnam war into their victory and and making them submit to the US. :roll:

"Typical American" again, how original.

The comic, and the movie, are pretty much about how much of a s**t Nixon was. It's not about refusing to admit defeat in Vietnam, it's about how the public would have Nixon had he of been the one to lead a victory. He's repeatedly re-elected, and basically installs somewhat of a totalitarian rule, along with the Reese Act and the demonizing of superheroes.

It's a great movie and an even better comic.
War is an extension of economics and diplomacy through other means.

Economics and diplomacy are methods of securing resources used by humans.

Securing resources is the one necessary behavior for all living things.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby Dark-Samus » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:58 am

I'm sick and tired of people liking Rorschach just because he beats the F*** out of people.

That´s not what I liked him, but I don´t really like him much either if I were to go outside the movie...

Well yes the very very beginning of the movie was great, I too loved it, but right after that, when The Comedian wanted to rape Silk or whatever he wanted the movie somehow turend into a bad Sin City movie...(to me that is)

Manhattan was sick of people not because Silk Spectre left him, but because he was treated either like a tool or feared by the majority of the population. Couple that with the fact that he was accused of causing cancer, and the military that he worked for, for so many years, actually thought about terminating him.

With all tht power, why does he even bother listening to anyone?
He can practicly do anything, if we leave Ozymandias out from the beginning.
Dark-Samus

Postby Wing-Zero » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:39 pm

Dark-Samus wrote:Well yes the very very beginning of the movie was great, I too loved it, but right after that, when The Comedian wanted to rape Silk or whatever he wanted the movie somehow turend into a bad Sin City movie...(to me that is)

It's a plot in the movie to introduce his daughter though. But yeah, that scene was pretty much just a nod to the comics, where it happened the same way.

With all tht power, why does he even bother listening to anyone?
He can practicly do anything, if we leave Ozymandias out from the beginning.

He listens to people, at first, because he thought he could help them.

As time went on and he saw just how much the US and the USSR, for example, were only interested in killing each other off, he grew completely disinterested in what humans in general were doing.

But while he CAN do anything in that universe, at the same time if he used his powers in any way other than doing odd jobs for the military, it would cause a s**tstorm with the Soviets. Sure, he could just have blown up everyone's mind with a thought, but that wasn't the way of absolute logic, which is what his thinking runs off of.

Ozymandias' plan was the one way that could have united the people of the world and ended any and all hostilities against one another.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby cormac » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:26 pm

well i never read the comic book but i liked the movie in general ... one of the best things is you got to hear three Dylan tunes :) and two leonard cohen tunes :) lol ... i liked Rorschach because he wasn't a 'superhero' ... i didn't read the comic book as i mentioned so i don't know if there was a back story to his having a 'super power' so to speak ... it looked like his super power was unrestrained psychopathic rage which is a unique super power as far as i know ... he wasn't from another planet or given a blast of gamma rays so i liked that just his mental anguish and hate produced this power ... i liked his bitterness, his hateful view of the world, and esp liked that he was willing to die for the truth when the others were willing to lie ... and the ending with Rorschach's journal at the newspaper office was good altho it wouldn't reveal the truth of the lie for peace still ...

my biggest problem was nixon, or the bad nose job and acting job ... the key to doing nixon is to get those weird floppy awkward hand movements he had ... anthony hopkins nailed in in oliver stone's movie and without a proboscis enhancement ;) ... this nixon was not good at all ... even kissinger was very weak ... john belushi did a much better kissinger lol

also, and again maybe this is in the comic book, the repeal of term limits is pretty implausible ... nixon was never liked ... in fact, even his ardent supporters knew what a conniving weasel he was but thought him the lesser of two evils against a democrat ... so i don't think term limits is too plausible since even nixon's supporters wouldn't give him an unlimited amount of terms and his enemies certainly wouldn't have ... even if this was because nixon "won" the vietnam war in the movie, he wouldn't have gained political points for it at all; dr manhattan won the war, not nixon ... and yeah nixon didn't get much credit for what he did right so i don't think that should change in this "version" of history ...

it's also a constitutional amendment and those are crazy hard to pass let alone even get started (i.e. the ERA amendment) ... and did the movie imply that term limits were repealed during nixon's term? i think that's the gist of it but i could be wrong ... but as far as i know, and again i may be wrong, repealing term limits wouldn't grandfather in an incumbent ... reagan talked about this and i believe he wouldn't have been grandfathered in to be run again even if it was repealed during one of his terms ... if i remember correctly ...

anyways, i know this is a superhero movie so you have to suspend some belief lmao ... so all my typing might just be pointless ...

i liked it ... effects were excellent as they always should be these days ... storyline was good with some minor gripes ... and they are minor gripes despite the amount of typing above lol ... really should have done a better nixon ... loved the shot of them walking across the snow to jimi doing dylan's 'watchtower' ... loved that they used all of 'times they are a'changing' and actually looped the first verse onto the back end ... that song to me still is so powerful even if it is still unrealized and not having heard it for a while, it was sweet ...

okay i'm officially babbling :P

good movie, it's super heroes changing american history so just go along for the ride ... wish i'd seen it in the theatre ... 7 of 10 ... enjoyable ...
take care :)
cormac

"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons"
-- T.S. Eliot
cormac

Postby Dark-Samus » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:35 am

But do they have to look so gay?... :lol:
Makes Robin look manly ;)
Dark-Samus

Postby Wing-Zero » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:28 pm

By the way, DS, you DO know the creator of the Watchmen is BRITISH, right?

Your "typical American" thing kind of goes down the drain... sorry?

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby Dark-Samus » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:42 am

Well the story is about american heroes, not brittish. ;)
Dark-Samus

Postby cormac » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:09 pm

Dark-Samus wrote:But do they have to look so gay?... :lol:
Makes Robin look manly ;)

who looked gay?

i think i missed something lmao -- the batteries must be dead on my gaydar :P
take care :)
cormac

"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons"
-- T.S. Eliot
cormac

Postby Dark-Samus » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:47 am

All the heroes, specially in the beginning of the movie...
Light colours...doesn´t really make them look powerful... :lol:
Dark-Samus

Next

Return to Sci-Fi TV/Movies

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts