The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

The word God

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:41 pm

Hello,

I think this is interesting, and something I just found out. Noone really knows where the word God came from or what it really means! Several attempts have been made by several sources, but nobody is really sure! I think the idea that it has Sanskrit roots makes sense. Was it just me that used the Word "God" thinking it meant one particular thing, and now find out it don't necessarily mean that? That the word "God" is a realitively new word surprizes me too! Anyone else?

From the website:
Oddly, the exact history of the word God is unknown. The word God is a relatively new European invention, which was never used in any of the ancient Judaeo-Christian scripture manuscripts that were written in Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek or Latin.
According to the best efforts of linguists and researchers, the root of the present word God is the Sanskrit word hu which means to call upon, invoke, implore.
Nonetheless, it is also interesting to note the similarity to the ancient Persian word for God which is Khoda.

Scroll down to the bottom of the artical and read what it says about the Sanskrit and pagan roots.

http://wahiduddin.net/words/name_god.htm

They may be trying to push the Sanskrit angle of course since they are a Sufi site, but even if its roots are not Sanskrit, the idea that the Word God is a new word is interesting.

Item7

Postby Nesaie » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:31 pm

Years ago a friend told me his personal theory of where God and Devil came from. He believed that both words came from Europe, maybe old English. God came from good and Devil came from da evil (read with an accent). Could be?
Such a society would be dominated by an elite, unrestrained by traditional values. Soon it will be possible to assert almost continuous surveillance over every citizen... - Zbigniew Brezhinsky
Nesaie

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:16 pm

Thats interesting Nesaie. I think I heard that about God coming from good sometime too. Who knows? It could be.

Postby greeney2 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:05 pm

If thats true Nasaie God came from Good, I;m sure you will appreciate where the word Pope came from! Give you 3 guesses!:lol: :lol: :lol:
greeney2

Postby Percival » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:29 am

I dunno about the word 'god' but the word 'devil' comes via the old english deofol (meaning an evil spirit), from the ancient greek word diabolos, meaning 'slanderer' or 'accuser'. 'Diabolos' was seen as the ancient greek equivalent of the hebrew Satan, meaning 'Adversary', when transcribing the septuagint.
Percival

Postby Lashmar » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:03 pm

Nesaie wrote:Years ago a friend told me his personal theory of where God and Devil came from. He believed that both words came from Europe, maybe old English. God came from good and Devil came from da evil (read with an accent). Could be?

Interesting idea. :D
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:55 pm

Thanks for shareing Percival. I've read that about the word Satan.

greeny2, You got me interested...where did the word Pope come from? I thought from Latin for Papa or father.

Postby ShadowWalker » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:37 pm

even in the Hebrew and Greek texts of the bible God's name is never used. Hebrew uses the Letter equivalents of English YHWH from which we get the English/Hebrew term Yahway. But this is not God's Name. The Greek texts usually use some form of the greek word Keirios ( Lord ) in refering to the God Head or God the Father. God of all people knows there is power in a name and therefore has never given mankind His name lest we try to control Him. Rather He has described Himself by Him character attributes as He shows them to us. God is just an English (indo/european language therefor rooted in sanskirt) replacement for the non-names of Him in the bible. :D By the way I have no idea and no interest in where the word Pope came from seeing as no one is "God's" sole representative on earth to mankind! :o :twisted:
ShadowWalker

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts