The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

World Politics

Amazon Censors Orwell

This section is designed for foreign politics, outside the United States. The Black Vault serves many different countries, and this forum will hold threads regarding world politics, events, etc.

Postby CodeBlack » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:35 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090731/ap_on_en_ot/us_tec_amazon_kindle_lawsuit
You will be silenced. Are you getting it yet? I told you people about this stuff. We are headed to an Orwellian society at breakneck speed. And I was thinking about buying a Kindle. Not anymore. Unbelievable!

What a stupid move by Bezos.

Btw, there is a new technology coming next year that will make digital ink obsolete anyway, so you might want to hold off on that Kindle. The new technology is way better. I read about it in Scientific American.
N2TheBlack
CodeBlack

Postby Nesaie » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:42 pm

Why buy a reader? It's right here: http://www.online-literature.com/orwell/1984/
Such a society would be dominated by an elite, unrestrained by traditional values. Soon it will be possible to assert almost continuous surveillance over every citizen... - Zbigniew Brezhinsky
Nesaie

Postby vulcan6gun » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:43 am

We're not Orwellian already? Cameras on the street-corners, electronic snoops on our phones, and Government email bots aren't enough to qualify? The only surprise to me is they're not actively monitoring our bathroom tissue usage habits (that we're aware of). :shock:

Future headlines: EMPEROR OBAMA GETS MICRO-CAMERAS IN BATH TISSUE--BRITISH EXPERIMENTAL URINAL MONITORS GO ONLINE--NEW UNDERWEAR DETECTS DRUG SMUGGLING-- HIGH TECH LIPSTICK INDUCES THOUGHT CONTROL--GOV'T ISSUE NAIL CLIPPERS SNIFF OUT BOMB MAKERS

I suppose it's not polite to prey on the paranoid. I'll play nice...

...not! ;)
Vulcan6gun

"Would you like your scientific research grilled, or roasted?"--Unknown Japanese whaler
vulcan6gun

Postby CodeBlack » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:03 pm

Well, I think its a misconception that the GOV would have to do lots of direct monitoring in an Orwellian society. The reality is that they can effect controls with more remote means. Today the GOV limits how much life you get with laws and regulations. They don't have to watch you. That would be a waste of time and resources. No, they can get at you with more surreptitious means.
N2TheBlack
CodeBlack

Postby inja » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:25 pm

"I thought that once purchased, the books were mine," he wrote.

I like and love technology. And I always thought the Kindle was pretty cool. Don't own one but have played with the idea to buy one. My inner struggle to own one was the fact that I love books. Books made out of paper. Solid weight in my hands. Something I can scribble in, high light, throw across the room if the storyline pisses me off. And I own it. No back door to slip in and delete it from my file or library.
I think I read you can store like 4000 books with amazon through Kindle...which I thought was pretty awesome as well as the idea that it is paper less.............save a tree :D .....however that is a real downer if a book any book can be simply deleted without your permission and knowledge.

Go figure it was George Orwell novels they deleted. Pirated or not.....it just makes you kind of wonder.
Truth is stranger than fiction, because fiction has to make sense.
inja

Return to World Politics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts