The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

THE BASIC RULES FOR CLOTHESLINES

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:43 am

You have to be a certain age to appreciate this. I can hear my mother now....

THE BASIC RULES FOR CLOTHESLINES: (if you don't know what clotheslines are, better skip this)

1. You had to wash the clothes line before hanging any clothes- walk the entire lengths of each line with a damp cloth around the lines.
2. You had to hang the clothes in a certain order, and always hang "whites" with "whites," and hang them first.
3. You never hung a shirt by the shoulders - always by the tail! What would the neighbors think?
4. Wash day on a Monday! . . . Never hang clothes on the weekend, or Sunday, for Heaven's sake!
5. Hang the sheets and towels on the outside lines so you could hide your "unmentionables" in the middle (perverts & busybodies, y'know!)
6. It didn't matter if it was sub zero weather . . . Clothes would "freeze-dry."
7. Always gather the clothes pins when taking down dry clothes! Pins left on the lines were "tacky!"
8. If you were efficient, you would line the clothes up so that each item did not need two clothes pins, but shared one of the clothes pins with the next washed item.
9. Clothes off of the line before dinner time, neatly folded in the clothes basket, and ready to be ironed.
10. IRONED?! Well, that's a whole other subject!

A POEM
A clothesline was a news forecast to neighbors passing by.
There were no secrets you could keep when clothes were hung to dry.
It also was a friendly link for neighbors always knew if company had stopped on by to spend a night or two.
For then you'd see the "fancy sheets" and towels upon the line;
You'd see the "company table cloths" with intricate designs .
The line announced a baby's birth from folks who lived inside -
As brand new infant clothes were hung, so carefully with pride!
The ages of the children could so readily be known
By watching how the sizes changed, you'd know how much they'd grown!
It also told when illness struck, as extra sheets were hung;
Then nightclothes, and a bathrobe, too, haphazardly were strung.
It also said, "Gone on vacation now" when lines hung limp and bare.
It told, "We're back!" when full lines sagged with not an inch to spare!
New folks in town were scorned upon if wash was dingy and gray,
As neighbors carefully raised their brows, and looked the other way .. . .
But clotheslines now are of the past, For dryers make work much less.
Now what goes on inside a home Ss anybody's guess!
I really miss that way of life.
It was a friendly sign
When neighbors knew each other best
By what hung on the line!

Postby Lashmar » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:52 am

1. You had to wash the clothes line before hanging any clothes- walk the entire lengths of each line with a damp cloth around the lines.
2. You had to hang the clothes in a certain order, and always hang "whites" with "whites," and hang them first.
3. You never hung a shirt by the shoulders - always by the tail! What would the neighbors think?
4. Wash day on a Monday! . . . Never hang clothes on the weekend, or Sunday, for Heaven's sake!
5. Hang the sheets and towels on the outside lines so you could hide your "unmentionables" in the middle (perverts & busybodies, y'know!)
6. It didn't matter if it was sub zero weather . . . Clothes would "freeze-dry."
7. Always gather the clothes pins when taking down dry clothes! Pins left on the lines were "tacky!"
8. If you were efficient, you would line the clothes up so that each item did not need two clothes pins, but shared one of the clothes pins with the next washed item.
9. Clothes off of the line before dinner time, neatly folded in the clothes basket, and ready to be ironed.
10. IRONED?! Well, that's a whole other subject!

With the exception of four that’s my mother right there, I still don’t understand why she has to wipe the bloody thing.

She lives by No. six though. :shock: :lol: :lol:

(if you don't know what clotheslines are, better skip this)

What sort of idiot doesn’t know what a clothesline is? How do you dry your clothes without a clothesline :? ? Blow on them or something? :? :lol: :lol:
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby Tairaa » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:55 pm

How do you dry your clothes without a clothesline :? ?

"George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."
Tairaa

Postby Lashmar » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:00 pm

You mean you really use them? My god that’s laziness at it’s best. :lol: :lol: :lol:

They cost money to use when you have free wind outside that does a better job. My mother doesn’t even own one of them. Unless it’s raining the washing goes outside to be in the wind (witch we have lots of in the UK).
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby Tairaa » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:01 pm

Yeap. My mum had 4 kids, and spent quite a bit of time single, so yea. She definitely uses a dryer. ;)

We used to use clotheslines when she was married, but we lived in a location that made it easy to do, and she wasn't the sole provider.

Ever use a combustable fuel source and/or a lighter or matchs to start a fire? Now that's laziness at its best. ;)
"George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."
Tairaa

Postby Lashmar » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:08 pm

Tairaa wrote:Ever use a combustable fuel source and/or a lighter or matchs to start a fire? Now that's laziness at its best. ;)

I used it to set the front garden on fire if that counts? :?

There were lots of fucking weeds, you couldn’t get rid of the bastards, we even tried the neighbour’s weed killer (the stuff they spray on farm land) and they still wouldn’t go. :x :lol: :lol:

The garden hose caught on fire as well. We were so busy trying to keep the flames away from the bushes that we forgot the hoes.

It was a fucking disaster if you want to know. we still have weeds as well. :x :lol: :lol:
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby Wing-Zero » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:09 pm

Tairaa wrote:Yeap. My mum had 4 kids, and spent quite a bit of time single, so yea. She definitely uses a dryer. ;)

We used to use clotheslines when she was married, but we lived in a location that made it easy to do, and she wasn't the sole provider.

Ever use a combustable fuel source and/or a lighter or matchs to start a fire? Now that's laziness at its best. ;)

Or a microwave to heat your food?

It's like people don't even know the meaning of work anymore!
War is an extension of economics and diplomacy through other means.

Economics and diplomacy are methods of securing resources used by humans.

Securing resources is the one necessary behavior for all living things.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby Tairaa » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:13 pm

I don't screw around with fuel on fires. I've seen it backfire a few times and really never wanted to try for myself. Unless of course we're talking about using a bit of gasoline to start a fire.

Wing-
:lol:
Yeah, no kidding. :P
Tairaa

Postby Lashmar » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:14 pm

Wing-Zero wrote:
Tairaa wrote:Ever use a combustable fuel source and/or a lighter or matchs to start a fire? Now that's laziness at its best. ;)

Or a microwave to heat your food?

It's like people don't even know the meaning of work anymore!

I agree about the microwave.

This is where a good slave comes in handy. The Romans had a good thing going if you ask me. :D :lol: :lol:
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby Lashmar » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:22 pm

Tairaa wrote:I don't screw around with fuel on fires. I've seen it backfire a few times and really never wanted to try for myself. Unless of course we're talking about using a bit of gasoline to start a fire.

But you haven't heard about our lawnmower yet have you? It leaks petrol because it caught on fire once, it leaks oil because…well…it always leaked oil but that wasn’t helped by the fire, might have been what caused it though, and the string that you have to start it with has stretched to about 3 yards, smokes like a SOB as well. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don’t buy a lawnmower that normally costs £250 for £50, it doesn’t work. :? :lol: :lol:

Edit: I am honestly surprised that you use dryers though. I just thought that was something they do on TV and that was it.

Very odd. :?
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Next

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts