The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

Oldest WWI veteran dies aged 113

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby Lashmar » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:24 am

Henry Allingham, the world's oldest man and one of the last surviving World War I servicemen, has died at the age of 113, his care home has said.

Shame that Harry died. :cry:

1901 - Queen Victoria dies
1914 - WWI begins
1929 - The Wall Street Crash
1945 - First atomic bomb detonated
1953 - Everest climbed for the first time
1963 - President Kennedy assassinated
1969 - Neil Armstrong walks on the Moon
1977 - Death of Elvis Presley
1989 - Fall of the Berlin Wall
1990 - Nelson Mandela freed from prison after 27 years
2008 - US elects first black president

This man lived in a time where slavery was still legal in some parts of the world. God only knows what this man has truly seen. The first TV, the first mobile phone, cars, diesel replacing steam power, lorries replacing river boats, trains, plains, the first flight around the world, man walking in the moon.

If you were to name all the things that have changed in his lifetime then you’ll need a book to put it in.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8157128.stm
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby Tairaa » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:25 am

Slavery still is legal in some places. Or at least, in practise with no opposition. Not in the same sense, in modern times it's usually sexual slaves rather then labour slaves.

RIP. Hard to believe there are still people alive who served in the first world war.
"George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."
Tairaa

Postby Lashmar » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:31 am

It is amazing they're still here isn't it. There are only 6 left now I think witch is a great shame. :cry:
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby Tairaa » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:36 am

No, I wouldn't say it's a shame that he died. I'd say it's a shame that he had to see and do the things he did in his life, but I wouldn't say it's a shame he died.

Everything dies, so it's not death that should be mourned, if anything should be mourned it should be something in "the dash" so to speak (rather then the date of birth or death).
"George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."
Tairaa

Postby Lashmar » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:54 am

Death is normal but it is shame he died.
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts