The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

its official Americans are fat.....

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby pandasex » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:31 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090701/ap_ ... NzaXBwaXM-

Now I know if you live here you dont need anyone to tell you that. I live in Ohio and I am from California its pretty bad here. Now this isnt a slag on overweight people. This is a what can we do to curb this???

I would like a little help from the state governments in the way of maybe a tax break on eating better foods or my 365 dollar rec center membership a year......I dont believe that the government is doing anything to help "obesity" ......opinions ??
BURNING MAN, burning man, BuRnInG mAn,
pandasex

Postby Tairaa » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:16 pm

Current economics make it cheaper to be unhealthy.

This means for lazy people, or people who struggle financially, it is difficult to be fit and not fat.

Even here, it's way more expensive to buy real food and prepare it yourself then it is to go to McDonalds and buy meals for 3 for $16, plus there is no preperation time, it tastes great every time, it's fast, and it has addictive chemicals in it just in case the rest wasn't enough.
"George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."
Tairaa

Postby Wing-Zero » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:43 pm

Tairaa wrote:Current economics make it cheaper to be unhealthy.

This means for lazy people, or people who struggle financially, it is difficult to be fit and not fat.

Even here, it's way more expensive to buy real food and prepare it yourself then it is to go to McDonalds and buy meals for 3 for $16, plus there is no preperation time, it tastes great every time, it's fast, and it has addictive chemicals in it just in case the rest wasn't enough.

Weird. I've never understood why people would just make a "dinner" out of a fast food place.

I mean, you're hanging out with people in the middle of the day and you're hungry as hell, you're not going to go home and make a bunch of crap. You're going to scurry on over to a Carl's or a Taco Bell.

But dinner? That's proper food time. So is breakfast. Lunch and 2 am can be fast food time, but not the important meals.
War is an extension of economics and diplomacy through other means.

Economics and diplomacy are methods of securing resources used by humans.

Securing resources is the one necessary behavior for all living things.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby greeney2 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:24 pm

I would like a little help from the state governments in the way of maybe a tax break on eating better foods or my 365 dollar rec center membership a year......I dont believe that the government is doing anything to help "obesity" ......opinions

Why do we blame everybody from the Banks making us abuse credit, the fast food choices making us eat them and cause obesity, than expect the governments to bail of out of all our troubles? Budweiser doesn;t cause alcholism anymore than the government is going to prevent it.
greeney2

Postby pandasex » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:07 pm

I agree it is EVERYONE option to be fat or not fat......

I am not saying we should hand out money for not being fat. But the serious fact is that obesity is a growing problem and causing serious cost to the health care system. Not too mention its shortening lifespans and could cause a sharp drop in population. Now, if you dont care about those facts then I guess it doesnt matter.

But i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to stop or encourage people to not eat crap everyday.

Places with social welfare programs that offer free gym passes or better foods for less money than us dont have these issues. That proves to me that it is possible to get past this health epidemic with care towards the issue.
BURNING MAN, burning man, BuRnInG mAn,
pandasex

Postby Cole_Trickle » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:27 pm

You fail to grasp the fact that the 4 " between most peoples ears has a lot to say about the things those people choose to do.

I could write a book. 6'1 - 185 solid pounds, single digit body fat~~WTF do I know, but I've not had a soda or ANY FAST FOOD~in over 20 years~So I'm not one to ask about why people are fat, Obese, heavy, over-weight~~or just too freaking lazy to eat right, exercise, and suck it up! :roll: :roll:

So sick of it~ Some people eat to live while others live to eat~

No excuse for being Fat absent a medical condition that promotes it, and even then people have options~but hey that takes energy, effort, and actually giving a rats ass!

Cole
Cole_Trickle

Postby Tairaa » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:36 pm

Wing-Zero wrote:
Tairaa wrote:Current economics make it cheaper to be unhealthy.

Weird. I've never understood why people would just make a "dinner" out of a fast food place.

I agree, seems silly to me. Basically the only time I ever east fast food is, like you said, out with friends and don't have the time to/desire to go home and prepare an actual meal.

But McDonalds makes me feel all heavy and tired after eating it, so I go to other places.. Subway sucks nowadays around here, it's so much bread and so little toppings...

Pizza. I like Pizza. In fact we're having Pizza tonight, but I also consider that supper-able personally.

Cole-
Yeap, but it is still easier and cheaper. Which I feel is the reason, our cultures promote laziness, and our economics support laziness. Laziness begets fatness, especially in combination with cheap, really fatty, low quality food that tastes amazing and makes you feel a little better each time you have it. :P
"George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."
Tairaa

Postby Wing-Zero » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:11 pm

Cole_Trickle wrote:I could write a book. 6'1 - 185 solid pounds, single digit body fat~~WTF do I know, but I've not had a soda or ANY FAST FOOD~in over 20 years~So I'm not one to ask about why people are fat, Obese, heavy, over-weight~~or just too freaking lazy to eat right, exercise, and suck it up! :roll: :roll:

Bummer for you.

I'm 6'2 and only 132 pounds, and that's drinking three to four Pepsi's every day, drinking alcohol two or three times every other week, eating pizza, fast food, chips, cookies, etc.

I bet my book can outsell yours. :lol: ;)

Runs in the family. My uncle and my grandfather were the same way I was, with the exception that they didn't have as much food at their disposal as I do.
War is an extension of economics and diplomacy through other means.

Economics and diplomacy are methods of securing resources used by humans.

Securing resources is the one necessary behavior for all living things.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby greeney2 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:00 pm

There is truth to both what Cole said and what Wing said. It isn't always what and how you eat, some people can eat anything and never gain an ounce, while others like me it goes right on the waistline. We eat a lot of things becasue its convienent. We all live lives where we are in a hurry or on the run, so we do something quick and easy. Most people do not have job that are very physical, but nevertheless you come home tired and worn out mentally. Its easy to fall into these traps, and just eat something quick and easy, or something that pops into the microwave. Most all these things are not real diet oriented.

Many of the fast food places are now offering alternatives, however you have to be real careful with them. Subway did offer several 6 grams of fat subs. I had the same problem a 3 locations, when I said "make me one of those EXACTLY LIKE IT IS MADE TO BE 6 GRAMS FAT." None of them had a clue how they were made, they were putting on cheese, not using the only recommended bread, and not knowing the oils they put off turned them into 30-40 grams of fat. They advertize one campaign, and don;t train anyone how to make the product they advertize.

There are some really good websites that list all the calories and fat, for every fast food place and regular restraunts. You would be shocked to read some of it. So called heathty salads sometimes are the worst, or even more calories and fat than a whopper burger.

Expecting the government to give tax breaks or passes to the gym not going to happen. As it is the local governments do provide parks and recreation places where you can swim, check out balls, and walk or run. Those aren;t good enough, people want the high tech trendy gyms I guess. More of a social thing and place to meet people.
greeney2

Postby shadowfx » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:12 am

Yeah I dont think that the Govt should get involved in this sort of stuff.

But at the same time that being said the Company I work for offers $100 per year toward gym memberships. Also, our Health Insurance plan offers up a program where you gain points for the amount of time you exercise each week. These points are redeemable for gift cards.
Works out fairly nicely. Also the more people involved = the lower our premiums are.
shadowfx

Next

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts