The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

The "Off-Topic" Members Lounge

Fixing CD players.

Feel like posting something completely unrelated to the message forums? Feel free! This forum is dedicated to have a place where members can sit, relax and just chat about anything!

Postby Lashmar » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:55 am

BTW what sort of glue will I need. Rubbery glue isn't much help. :oops: Super glue is out I take it? :(

I like super glue as well. I super glue anything and everything. Super glued the lawn mower once. It had a leak and I fixed it...it didn't work too well in the long. Who'd have thought that eh? :lol: :lol: :?

I'll give it a go. If it doesn't work I have the od stand by (big hammer and a fire ;) :D ).

What is it you do anyway mael? Is your electrical stuff a hobby or work?
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby mael » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:27 pm

Lashmar wrote:BTW what sort of glue will I need. Rubbery glue isn't much help. :oops: Super glue is out I take it? :(

* This bastard should do.

* Remember - just a dab where the hinge's thinnest parts are and leave it upside down or support it at the right height whilst the adhesive's drying with an ear bud or an unopened large-size condom wrapper. (I very much doubt you have got any unused ones so go with the ear buds or you'll get into a real mess if you try to .... never mind - just use ear buds.

I like super glue as well. I super glue anything and everything. Super glued the lawn mower once. It had a leak and I fixed it...it didn't work too well in the long. Who'd have thought that eh? :lol: :lol: :?

* Ya know! I remember super glue from twenty years back and I kin tell yas the new stuff is bollocks! :evil: I used to fix drive belts of cassette players and they'd last for months longer - usually with minimum wow & flutter, which is good considering the joint was rock solid cyanoacrylate. - I can't fix drive belts with any of the so-called super glues I have bought recently.

I'll give it a go. If it doesn't work I have the od stand by (big hammer and a fire ;) :D ).

* That's right. The bigger the better. And I like your suggestion of setting fire to it as well.

What is it you do anyway mael? Is your electrical stuff a hobby or work?

Both really. I get a thrill out of fixing old stuff. I don't like the new stuff so much unless it is made properly (this excludes Chinky crap). I sell some of the stuff I repair and give some away and use some myself.
mael

Postby Lashmar » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:52 pm

* Remember - just a dab where the hinge's thinnest parts are and leave it upside down or support it at the right height whilst the adhesive's drying with an ear bud or an unopened large-size condom wrapper. (I very much doubt you have got any unused ones)

you trying to say something about me? :? :lol: :lol:

* That's right. The bigger the better. And I like your suggestion of setting fire to it as well.

Can’t beat a good fire if you ask me. If you can’t fix it you might as well have some fun with it. ;) :lol: :lol:
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby Wing-Zero » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:37 pm

Lashmar wrote:
That's right. The bigger the better. And I like your suggestion of setting fire to it as well.

Can’t beat a good fire if you ask me. If you can’t fix it you might as well have some fun with it. ;) :lol: :lol:

Hell who knows, maybe the fire WILL fix it.

Melt the pieces in the exact position they need to be in.
War is an extension of economics and diplomacy through other means.

Economics and diplomacy are methods of securing resources used by humans.

Securing resources is the one necessary behavior for all living things.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby Lashmar » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:03 am

I’ve found that fire doesn’t fix front gardens. There were lots of weeds and we tried everything, even the crap that my neighbor sprays on the fields (he works on the farm that I live on), the only thing left was a gallon of petrol so we tried it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby Lashmar » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:26 am

now this is the sort of thing I'll do.

http://www.break.com/usercontent/2009/6 ... 02215.html

8-) :D :lol:
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby greeney2 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:40 am

Well, I don't believe it. When it comes to the workshop I can get along with Maelstom. We live an a throwaway world of appliances nowadays. We used to have a little neighborhood fix it shop around the corner, but he is long gone. Use to be able to take him things like a toaster or small appliance and get it fixed. maelstrom is right the newer things are the more that are probably throw away items. Solid state electrical sometimes can;t even be worked on. We live in a world where its more cost effective to go buy a new one, and getting worse everyday. Most people would be trashing that old player and unable to think about fixing it. Like the corner shoe repair man, the fix it shops are a dying breed.
greeney2

Postby Lashmar » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:44 am

greeney2 wrote:Well, I don't believe it. When it comes to the workshop I can get along with Maelstom.

:shock:

I don't know what to say to that. :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby Tairaa » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:22 am

greeney2 wrote:Well, I don't believe it. When it comes to the workshop I can get along with Maelstom. We live an a throwaway world of appliances nowadays. We used to have a little neighborhood fix it shop around the corner, but he is long gone. Use to be able to take him things like a toaster or small appliance and get it fixed. maelstrom is right the newer things are the more that are probably throw away items. Solid state electrical sometimes can;t even be worked on. We live in a world where its more cost effective to go buy a new one, and getting worse everyday. Most people would be trashing that old player and unable to think about fixing it. Like the corner shoe repair man, the fix it shops are a dying breed.

I always take apart my electronics when they stop working and try and fix them. Typically they are hooped, but a shocking amount of the time I'm able to McGyvur things into working. I've had most luck with computer input controllers, ie: mice, keyboards, game controllers (not exclusively for PCs, game consoles are computers too) as well as the actual computer. Taken apart a few calculators, never been able to fix one though. :P

TV remotes I've fixed a few.

Something I've noticed with game controllers is that older game controllers that use reliable mechanical means to detect movement of a stick in your directional pad or analog stick, work for longer and typically better even then there electronic counter-parts.

The electronic ones I can't fix, the mechanical ones I can with enough patience and the right tools, the mechanical ones are more stable, they don't artifically jerk around, the electronic motors malfunction in a lot of them and the output from the controller thereby says that the x-y coordinates are jumping around sporadically. In a flight sim this is equivocal to jerks in pitch and yaw when in fact there is no motion on the stick.

On the other hand it's been my experience that mechanical buttons (which operate like a light switch in principle) are less functional then electronic bump buttons, which have electricity constantly flowing through the cycle, and can be pressure sensative, work better then their mechanical counter parts for longer.

Can't figure out why the computers I Mcgyvur don't have 100% of the specs of the hardware though.. Must have something to do with the rate at which the processor communicates with the rest of the system? I don't know, not a computer technician unfortunately.

Greeney-

I grew up in the state where everything is cheaper to replace, and I think it's stupid also! Even having never lived when you would have things repaired. It's simply inefficient and wasteful, the only thing that is more efficient with replacing over repairing is cost, and that doesn't have to be the way it is, but it is regardless I 'spose.

Maelstrom-
One thing that I have never taken apart is a microwave, and it's something that I've been wanting to do for a while, anything that emits EMR at a specific frequency is of interest to me. I think I've decided that robotics would be an interesting thing to learn, and in fact quite relevant to my interests. So who knows, in 5-10 years I might just pick up and move to Japan to go to a university and learn.

Do you teach in grade school or post-secondary? I wonder if they'd let me teach English and be a student at the same time. :P :lol:

Ramble done. Boy am I energetic today, I think I'm going to go for a run.
"George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."
Tairaa

Postby Lashmar » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:26 am

Boy am I energetic today, I think I'm going to go for a run.

you sick bastard. Running? :o
Read between the lies
Lashmar

PreviousNext

Return to The "Off-Topic" Members Lounge

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts