The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

The Existence of God

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby starman » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:33 am

Atheism to me doesn't mean denial of the existence of God. I think most atheist would agree with Charles Bradlaugh (England's leading 19th century atheist), who said, in the Freethinkers text book, (1876): “Atheism is without God. It does not assert God. The atheist does not say that there is no God, but he says”I know not what you mean by God. I am without the idea of God. The word God to me is a sound conveying no clear or distinct affirmation. I do not deny God, because I cannot deny that of which I have no conception, and the conception of which by its affirmer is so imperfect that he is unable to define it for me.”

Is the Christian God depicted in the bible, God? The Christian God is a God perceived as a being, supernatural in power, dwelling somewhere external to this world, who periodically invades this world in miraculous ways. A God who came to earth in the form of a divine human being. A God that parted the Red Sea, walked on water, raised the dead, and created the universe six thousand years ago! The very idea of the Christian God wreaks of superstitious insanity as does all other religious Gods. The Christian God was conceived out of ignorance to explain events that happened at any given place or time. Believing in the existence of this tribal God throughout history has lead to such atrocities as the Inquisition, the Crusades, and religious wars. The Christian God is a delusional God. All religious Gods are delusional. I do not deny the existence of God, “because I cannot deny that of which I have no conception”.
a book without light
unless with love we write ~ Moody Blues
starman

Postby adamwarlock2099 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:43 am

Doesn't matter to whether one exists or not. I am living my life the best way that I can with the short amount of time that I have on this planet. If there is an afterlife of either reward or punishment I will worry about it when I die. Right now, is not the time to worry about it.

And if I were to really think about it, I would say that if the Christian God really does exist, it's more that we are just e.coli in a petrie dish, and he really isn't all that worried about us anyway. Either that or he is flat out dick and lets the things that happen in this world happen because he enjoys the drama.
"To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson
"You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime." -- Death (Sandman)
adamwarlock2099

Postby hxxx » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:47 am

Your god is a fantasy. Much like Superman and Santa Claus.

This atheist can conceive of your god. Furthermore, I deny that your god exists.

No offense meant. Just my opinion, h.
hxxx

Postby qmark » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:35 pm

hxxx wrote: Furthermore, I deny that your god exists.

Yep. That will show God who's the boss. :lol:

I got news for you. It doesn't matter if you deny Him or not.
qmark

Postby hxxx » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:00 pm

qmark wrote:Yep. That will show God who's the boss. :lol:

News? Tell me something I don't know.
hxxx

Postby Wing-Zero » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:55 pm

qmark wrote:

What, news from since the dawn of mankind?

Old news is old.
War is an extension of economics and diplomacy through other means.

Economics and diplomacy are methods of securing resources used by humans.

Securing resources is the one necessary behavior for all living things.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby qmark » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:04 pm

Wing-Zero wrote:
qmark wrote:

What, news from since the dawn of mankind?

Old news is old.

True, but then again, most people don't pay attention to the news.
qmark

Postby SmokinJoe » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:52 pm

LOL!!

The first paragraph defines an athiest as one who cannot define something they have no concept of.

Then, in the very next paragraph, God is "defined" as insane, one who wreaks havoc, nothing but superstition and delusional.

So, either the said athiest is schizophrenic (as evidenced from paragraph one to paragraph two) or the athiest lied in paragraph one and was clearly able to define God (as the athiest had faith his view of God was right on) in paragraph two.

Very entertaining. So, in conclusion, the athiest has no concept of God unless it is a negative concept. Then, he's able to define that particular view all day long.. :lol:
Dawkins thinks belief in God is an excuse to evade thinking in the scientific world. Sadly, he is ignorant to the list of christian scientists who have contributed & founded many of the sciences he himself believes in. How ironic.
SmokinJoe

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:12 pm

Hi,

I don't think anyone can really describe "God" because God is above all mankinds attempts to even name him. Even when Moses asked God what his name was, God replied, I AM. In my mind I see this as saying, God just is.

All we can manage to do is see some of Gods works, like we can see the effects of the wind, but not the wind it self.

Being able to give names to things belongs to the mind of man. Thats why God gave mankind the job of naming all the animals, which man did, and continues to name objects, and anything else man comes across, because that is what our minds are designed to do. We have a need to understand and name everything, and if it can't be named and neatly put into a catogory and called a "fact" then some people assume its not real.

The truth is, there are many things we have no names or concepts of, God is just one of them. To say we know everything is as silly as saying we are the only life in the universe. I'm willing to bet that there are far more things we don't know, than the things we think we do.

Item7

Postby SmokinJoe » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:15 pm

We have a need to understand and name everything, and if it can't be named and neatly put into a catogory and called a "fact" then some people assume its not real.

The truth is, there are many things we have no names or concepts of, God is just one of them. To say we know everything is as silly as saying we are the only life in the universe. I'm willing to bet that there are far more things we don't know, than the things we think we do.

Well said!
Dawkins thinks belief in God is an excuse to evade thinking in the scientific world. Sadly, he is ignorant to the list of christian scientists who have contributed & founded many of the sciences he himself believes in. How ironic.
SmokinJoe

Next

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts