The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

Nagasaki A-bomb plane co-pilot dies at age 88

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby greeney2 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:11 am

Nagasaki A-bomb plane co-pilot dies at age 88
Buzz Up Send
Email IM Share
Delicious Digg Facebook Fark Newsvine Reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Bookmarks Print AP – File - Charles Donald Albury holds a picture of the B-29 bomber 'The Great Artiste' and it's crew in … Fri Jun 5, 4:47 am ET
ORLANDO, Fla. – Charles Donald Albury, co-pilot of the plane that dropped the atomic bomb on Nagasaki, Japan, has died after years of congestive heart failure. He was 88.

Albury died May 23 at a hospital, Family Funeral Care in Orlando confirmed.

Albury helped fly the B-29 Superfortress, nicknamed "Bockscar," that dropped the weapon on Aug. 9, 1945. He also witnessed the first atomic blast over Hiroshima, as a pilot on a support plane that measured the magnitude of the blast and levels of radioactivity.

The Hiroshima mission was led by Col. Paul Tibbets Jr. aboard the better-known "Enola Gay."

"When Tibbets dropped the bomb, we dropped our instruments and made our left turn," Albury told Time magazine four years ago. "Then this bright light hit us and the top of that mushroom cloud was the most terrifying, but also the most beautiful, thing you've ever seen in your life. Every color in the rainbow seemed to be coming out of it."

Three days later, Albury copiloted the mission over Nagasaki. Cloud cover caused problems for the mission until the bombardier found a hole in the clouds.

The 10,200-pound explosive instantly killed an estimated 40,000 people. Another 35,000 died from injuries and radiation sickness. Japan surrendered on Aug. 14.

Albury said he felt no remorse, since the attacks prevented what was certain to be a devastating loss of life in a U.S. invasion of Japan.

"My husband was a hero," Roberta Albury, his wife of 65 years, told The Miami Herald. "He saved one million people ... He sure did do a lot of praying."

Gwyneth Clarke-Bell, Albury's secretary at Eastern Airlines, where he worked for most of his career after World War II, told the Herald that Albury "felt he was doing his job, and that lives were saved on both sides."

Albury was born in 1920 at his parents' home, now the site of the Miami Police Department. He enlisted in the wartime Army before graduating from the University of Miami's engineering school. In 1943, Albury joined Tibbets' unit: the elite 509th Composite Group. They trained at White Sands, N.M., where FBI agents tailed them night and day. At the time, the participants were clueless as to the scope of what they were training to do.

After the war, he settled in Coral Gables, Fla., with his wife and flew for Eastern Airlines. He eventually co-managed Eastern's Airbus A-300 training program.

Albury told the Herald in 1982 that he deplored war but would do what he did again if someone attacked the United States.

"Everyone should be prepared to fight for liberty," he said. "Our laws give us our freedom and I think that's worth fighting for."
greeney2

Postby Lashmar » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:15 am

The 10,200-pound explosive instantly killed an estimated 40,000 people. Another 35,000 died from injuries and radiation sickness. Japan surrendered on Aug. 14.

Now they aren’t war crimes are they? :x :roll:

"Everyone should be prepared to fight for liberty," he said. "Our laws give us our freedom and I think that's worth fighting for."

F*** the dead hey mate. :roll:
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby Tairaa » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:11 am

At the time I would say they weren't war crimes. Could better targets have been chosen? Absolutely.
"George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."
Tairaa

Postby Lashmar » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:25 am

Tairaa wrote:At the time I would say they weren't war crimes.

F*** off. It was wrong then and it’s wrong now. Only the US would have done that.

If any other country did that they would be up in front on the UN now. :roll:

They could have hit one of the small islands though. Not many people and a smaller bomb would have been better but not by much.
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby Tairaa » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:34 am

Bombing the smaller Islands? What would that have done? Japan needed to surrender. It stopped the war, which was responsible for countless other lives being saved.

You know that the Germans were developing their own nuclear ordinance, right? What if the Germans figured it out first? You'd be the first people they used the bomb on, and you wouldn't have the opportunity to surrender, nor would anyone else. Whereas as soon as Japan surrendered, the bombs stopped. If Germany won the race they wouldn't have stopped upon surrender, they would continue with the killing and conquering.
"George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."
Tairaa

Postby Lashmar » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:44 am

I go by honour mate. I don’t respect bombers and snipers are lucky if they get a head nod. Normal infantry are fine becuase they still have honour.

theres no honour in killing 100,000 people.
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby Tairaa » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:56 am

Nope. There's not.

BUT. Perhaps there is honour in preventing the deaths of far more people then that by dropping the bomb.

Imagine how the crew of the Enola gay felt like when they dropped it, or when they found out how many died by their hands. But, it saved more lives then it took. LIke I said, if Hitler had completed operational nuclear weapons then far far more people would have died, and the world would be a different place right now.
Tairaa

Postby Lashmar » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:30 am

Shame they didn’t have the balls to crash into the ground is what I say. :roll:

What’s the difference between Hitler and the Yanks in this then? Either witch way the war would have ended. Where’s the difference? In both world we’ve been subject to a rule that’s oppressive. At least the Nazi’s would have said they were bastards.

I respect Dr. what’s-his-name, the Angel of Death was his nickname (Joe something... :? ), more than I respect the pilots, the people who ordered it and anyone involved in it. At least he was trying to find things out. :roll:

That was just plain mass murder. And mass murder by an army is a war crime. It makes no odd weather it was right or wrong. It was illegal. The yanks government are one for rules until it applies to them or Israel, then it’s a different matter. :x :roll:
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby Tairaa » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:48 am

There are no rules in war. They have self imposed rules, but no one uses rules in war.

The saying "All is fair in love and war" is 100% correct.
Mass murder, yes it was.

The difference between the yanks and the germans is that the germans would have extinguished all other life, where the Americans may be oppressive, if you live in America or certain other parts of the world they have their military, but they don't kill every group aside from their own.
How many people died in WWII? 65 million ish? How many more would have perished if Germany hadn't been forced to surrender? How many people where left alive in Britian, Russia, China etc?
Tairaa

Postby Lashmar » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:03 am

There are no rules in war. They have self imposed rules, but no one uses rules in war.

I agree with you but that is half the point. They crossed the line with that.

It’s human law again. It was wrong and they did it anyway.

The 21st century is not my time. I still live by the old rules, pride and honour before others.

They could have bombed anything they wanted but they chose them for the damage.
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Next

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts