I get the separate spirit nation and the physical nation....and ya I get Moses was influenced by Egyptian law practices I suppose and that fair doctrines predated Mosaic law. But I do not fully agree w/ your opinion, plus that wasn't the only philosophical socio-political influence per our Western society. Not to throw this off the "is befriending Israel a beneficial relationship for
America " theme of your string; there was: Montesquieu, the Iroquois, Ancient Greece and Rome,
William Blackstone, British legal history, Madison, Jefferson, Aristotle, Marsiglio of Padua, John Locke, Patrick henry (a firm proponent of Jesus Christ-Hebrew from Jerusalem...etc...); as was Thomas Pain (a great critique of Christian hypocrisy); etc. the list goes on as to that; the discourse is comprehensive.
Indulge me a bit more please. I find this contribution of Judeao-Christian influence needs resolution as to where I ethically stand about the matter as opposed to the founding backdrop of this Great Experiment and it's ties to Judeao-Christian ethic; and then I'll list Israel's contribution to America.
(These sections are paraphrased short of plagiarism for expediency's sake.) Founding Fathers alike spoke and wrote regularly and often about the providence of God. They wrote and spoke of the “kind providences of God,” of their firm reliance on “Almighty Providence,” and of the “many merciful providences” with which He has blessed our people.
Though they chose not to make sectarian religious tests a prerequisite for holding federal office, our Founding Fathers nonetheless envisioned and established a national government on a distinctively Trinitarian, Christian law order. This is clear from their proclamations and official acts, as well as the supreme law of the land, the Constitution (and the Declaration of Independence, its preamble) signed in the year of our Lord (Jesus Christ), as well as those treaties which were made in pursuance thereof.. yet all of them inculcating honesty, truth, temperance, gratitude, and the love of man; acknowledging and adoring an overruling Providence.
The primary schoolbook for children, the New England Primer, included the Catechism. Daily recitations of it were required at these schools. Their curriculum included memorization of the Westminster Confession and the Westminster Larger Catechism. There was not a person at Independence Hall in 1776 who had not been exposed to it, and most of them had it spoon fed to them before they could walk
. A contribution from that "spiritual" nation that effects us to this day(though not w/out it's spurious detractors) that has contributed to the material manifest of private ownership; wealth, freedom and the pursuit of happiness most successfully.
Those that say, "The men responsible for building the foundation of the United States had little use for Christianity." are liars. They were men of The Enlightenment, true, and deists were among them.
Deism is a religious and philosophical belief that a supreme god created the universe, and that this and other religious truth can be determined using reason and observation of the natural world alone, without the need for faith. Deists generally reject the notion of divine interventions in human affairs..a bit of an oxymoron when one considers that the concept of a god is even invoked.
None of the Founding Fathers were atheists. Most of the Founders were Deists, which is to say they thought the universe had a creator, but that he does not concern himself with the daily lives of humans
. This is a great contention in my experience since my 20's and I'll stick to my guns over it.
"Our two nations have a lot in common, when you think about it. We were both founded by immigrants escaping religious persecution in other lands. We both have built vibrant democracies. Both our countries are founded on certain basic beliefs, that there is an almighty god who watches over the affairs of men and values every life." ...which is true...guess who said that?
Note: Israel's Gross Domestic Product exceeds that of all its neighbors—in fact, is the average of countries in Europe.
Israel contributions and benefits to America
1) For years
, Israel has been America's secret weapon in defending the interests and lives of Americans for the United States. The problem is that, while the U.S. wants and needs Israel's assistance in securing (Huminit) on-ground Intelligence about what Arab Terrorists and Arab Rogue Nations nations are planning against America, it does not want to admit that Israel is its irreplaceable source for deep Intel. Israel reluctantly accepts this policy because America is Israel's ally and friend but, resents this effort to appease Arab nations.
Note: Why, then, does Washington want to shrink Israel back to indefensible pre-1967 borders? Obviously, Washington has interests that compete with if not outweigh Israel’s value as a U.S. ally—for example, Saudi oil and purchases of U.S. arms.
2) If [Israel] were to simultaneously hit only five of the many sensitive points in Saudi Arabia’s downstream oil system, th[at] could put the Saudis out of the oil-producing business for about two years…. Simply blowing of Abqaiq’s up the East-West pipeline’s Pump Station One to smithereens …. would be enough to bring the world’s oil-addicted economies to their knees, America’s along with them/. [Robert Baer/, Sleeping with the Devil./]// (Has Israel hurt us thusly? No. Why irritate them. Them NOT doing this is a present day material contribution))
Note: For FY2006, U.S. military grants to Israel was $2.28 billion (= $2.28B). Since Israel’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in 2006, this aid to Israel was less than 1.5% of its GDP!
• Viewed over a longer time period—say between 1991 and 2006—total U.S. military grants and economic assistance to Israel was approximately $47.5B.
What has the U.S. received from Israel in return?
3) Israel must spend about 74% of U.S. military aid in the United States, where it provides jobs for an estimated 50,000 American working men.
4) Total exports from America’s 50 states to Israel between 1991 and 2006 was $102.4B—more than twice the $47.5B Israel received in U.S. aid during this period. The annual average of U.S. exports to Israel was $6.4B per year, more than twice the average American aid package. In fact, total exports to Israel from the 50 states in 2006 was almost $11B—more than four times the U.S. military-economic aid package!
5) Moreover, U.S. military aid to Israel creates a demand for, and the purchase of, tens of billions of dollars worth of U.S. weaponry by Saudi Arabia and other Arab states. U.S. grants to Israel—far from burdening the American tax payer—actually enriches the U.S. economy. Arms manufacturers know this. So do Senators who represent states in which corporations such as Boeing and Lockheed are located. They have vested interests in opposing any sanctions against Israel if it were to take a more independent stand against Palestinian statehood.
6) According to Gen. George Keegan, a former chief of U.S. Air Force Intelligence, between 1974 and 1990, Israeli aid to America was worth between $50-80B in intelligence, research and development savings, Soviet weapons systems captured and transferred to the Pentagon, and testing Soviet military doctrines up to 1990 when the USSR collapsed. Senator Daniel Inouye put it this way: “The contribution made by Israeli intelligence to America is greater than that provided by all NATO countries combined.”
7) Yoram Ettinger reports: Israel relays to the U.S. lessons of battle and counter-terrorism, which reduce American losses in Iraq and Afghanistan, prevent attacks on U.S. soil, upgrade American weapons, and contribute to the U.S. economy. Innovative Israeli technologies boost U.S. industries.
8) The vice-president of the company that produces the F16 fighter jets told Ettinger that Israel is responsible for 600 improvements in the plane’s systems, modifications estimated to be worth billions of dollars, which spared dozens of research and development years.
9) Without Israel, the U.S. would have to deploy tens of thousands of American troops in the eastern Mediterranean Basin, at a cost of billions of dollars a year.
10) n 1981, Israel bombed the Iraqi nuclear reactor, thus providing the U.S. with the option of engaging in conventional wars with Iraq in 1991 and 2003, thereby preventing a possible nuclear war and its horrendous consequences.
11) In 2005, Israel provided America with the world’s most extensive experience in homeland defense and warfare against suicide bombers and car bombs. American soldiers train in IDF facilities and Israeli-made drones fly above the Sunni Triangle in Iraq, as well as in Afghanistan, providing U.S. Marines with vital intelligence that saved many American lives.
12) Finally, since Israel has phased out economic aid, U.S. military aid is only 1.3% of Israel’s GDP! This figure would be zero if Israel did not spend billions on security fences and military redeployments resulting from territorial retreats.
Note: There is so much contribution from Israel that we need experts to delineate the numbers for a clear veiw:
13) The number of engineers and scientists Israel provides the U.S.
14) The medical technology Israel provides the U.S. and the number of lives saved thereby.
15) The agricultural technology Israel provides the world in general, and the U.S. in particular, and the number lives saved by this technology.
16) The U.S.- Israel scientific research projects.
17) The U.S.-Israel military projects.
16) The monetary significance of U.S-Israel tourism.
These are just a few items that need to be assessed. The public in Israel as well as in America should be informed in quantitative and qualitative terms what Israel contributes to the security, health, and economic prosperity of the United States. Once this research is complete, Israel - of course depending on wise and courageous leadership - will be able to pursue a foreign policy vis-a-vis the U.S. that does not affect the borders of the country.
Please think twice about what you are saying...and somebody tell nest-lies about her "stolen" tax monies. It's been returned by a powerful ally shrouded in mystery a thousand times over.http://www.science.co.il/arab-israeli-c ... -03-16.asp