The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Scientific Discoveries and Advancements

time travel...for real?

The newest revelations in the scientific world -- post articles, discussions and your own ideas.

Postby greeney2 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:57 am

If you could travel in time would you be visible in the time you reached or only be visible in the real time you live in? If you could travel in time, you would leave the time of your own life to times when you were dead, or if you went back in time, before you were concieved. In Theory, you are moving in time, but in the same space, so what is the relationship between time and light?
greeney2

Postby chrisv25 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:33 pm

greeney2 as for the first part I think it depends on which interpretation of quantum mechanics you use Copenhagen or many worlds.

as for light affecting time you can find his explanation on his site here(http://www.phys.uconn.edu/~mallett/main/papers.htm), they are however not currently accepted "mainstream" theories and i have found no peer reviews of them.

In Einstein's general theory of relativity, both matter and energy can create a gravitational field. This means that the energy of a light beam can produce a gravitational field. My current research considers both the weak and strong gravitational fields produced by a single continuously circulating unidirectional beam of light. In the weak gravitational field of a unidirectional ring laser, it is predicted that a spinning neutral particle, when placed in the ring, is dragged around by the resulting gravitational field. [R. L. Mallett, "Weak gravitational field of the electromagnetic radiation in a ring laser", Phys. Lett. A 269, 214 (2000)]. [pdf]

Using the linearized Einstein gravitational field equations and the Maxwell field equations it is shown that the plane of polarization of an electromagnetic wave is rotated by the gravitational field created by the electromagnetic radiation of a ring laser. An experimental arrangement is suggested for the observation of this gravitational Faraday effect induced by the ring laser. [ D. E. Cox, J. G. O'Brien, R. L. Mallett, and C. Roychoudhuri, "Gravitational Faraday effect produced by a ring laser", Found. Phys. 37, 723 (2007)]. [pdf]

For the strong gravitational field of a circulating cylinder of light, I have found new exact solutions of the Einstein field equations for the exterior and interior gravitational fields of the light cylinder. The exterior gravitational field is shown to contain closed timelike lines.

The presence of closed timelike lines indicates the possibility of time travel into the past. This creates the foundation for a time machine based on a circulating cylinder of light. [R. L. Mallett, "The gravitational field of a circulating light beam", Foundations of Physics 33, 1307 (2003)]. [pdf]

at1with0 (nice name btw)

The last math class i took was college lvl trig. I have a BA in computer information systems.
chrisv25

Postby at1with0 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:26 pm

Thanks.
Finding any nontrivial exact solutions to the field equations is no small feat. It's 256 partial differential equations which are coupled and nonlinear, I believe. May not be 256 but it is complicated either way.
I stopped GR when I realized I had time for either that or my math, so I decided on math. And I've done no real reading on GR since then.
So that's why I tried to come up with a way to get a hold of a time machine without any tech. 8-)

You might be interested on my little pet thread on the MWI which I am sure you could shed some real scientific light on. It's meant to clear up a lay misconception that everything imaginable happens somewhere in a parallel universe.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3397
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Previous

Return to Scientific Discoveries and Advancements

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts