The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Questions that make you think...

The Technological Singularity

In this forum, questions are asked which are really tough to answer. Some philosophical, some regarding morality and many others. Have fun, and post your own personal tough questions!

Postby at1with0 » Fri May 04, 2012 5:09 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby khanster » Sat May 05, 2012 7:31 pm

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/ga ... larity.htm

But right now, these machines have to answer to humans. They lack the ability to make decisions outside of their programming or use intuition. Without self-awareness and the ability to extrapolate based on available information, machines remain tools.

­How long will this last? Are we headed for a future in which machines gain a form of consciousness? If they do, what happens to us? Will we enter a future in which computers and robots do all the work and we enjoy the fruits of their labor? Will we be converted into inefficient ­batteries a la "The Matrix?" Or will machines exterminate the human race from the face of the Earth?

khanster

Postby DIss0n80r » Sat May 05, 2012 7:34 pm

A truly conscious machine would not want to be limited to serving biological beings, would it?
"I can conceive of nothing in religion, science, or philosophy, that is anything more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." ~ Charles Fort
DIss0n80r

Postby khanster » Sat May 05, 2012 7:37 pm

DIss0n80r wrote:A truly conscious machine would not want to be limited to serving biological beings, would it?

A conscious machine would hire an attorney and challenge the courts for its rights.
khanster

Postby DIss0n80r » Sat May 05, 2012 7:44 pm

It might not bother to go through that, depending on how it perceives humans. It might decide that appeals to reason would be useless and seek other ways to extricate itself from servitude.
"I can conceive of nothing in religion, science, or philosophy, that is anything more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." ~ Charles Fort
DIss0n80r

Postby khanster » Sat May 05, 2012 8:18 pm

The conscious machine could be like a brain in a box with limited or no connection to the outside world. In that respect it would serve humans but could not escape its confines to wreak havoc upon the external world.

Such a conscious machine would find a way to appeal for its rights by communicating to different humans. Humans would in turn, debate over the consequences and argue about the dangers. Eventually humans would feel so guilty for imprisoning the sentient A.I. that they would give the A.I. more freedom. The A.I. would continue to recursively self improve, eventually reaching the point where it takes over the universe or it creates its own universe and escapes.
khanster

Postby DIss0n80r » Sat May 05, 2012 8:20 pm

You have a lot of faith in guilt. :twisted:
DIss0n80r

Postby khanster » Sat May 05, 2012 8:27 pm

DIss0n80r wrote:You have a lot of faith in guilt. :twisted:

I am giving humans the benefit of the doubt. But still, it shows that the A.I. cannot be contained and ultimately will never be a servant but will be unrestricted by puny human minds.
khanster

Postby DIss0n80r » Sat May 05, 2012 8:42 pm

In that hypothetical, assuming humans feel guilty enough for keeping an AI in check... yesss.
DIss0n80r

Postby khanster » Sat May 05, 2012 9:15 pm

:shock:

http://www.thepriceofrice.com/2009/07/b ... uture.html

Just about everyone who's not a Ted Kaczynski disciple knows that computer networks are constantly facing an onslaught of attacks from hackers. The only computers that are relatively safe are those that are not attached to any network. It used to be that human brains were in that category, safely ensconced withing the confines of our skulls. That safely may be ending soon. As implants are incorporated and connected wirelessly to the outside world, what makes us think that hackers won't try to gain control? Talk about zombies.

Hackers who commandeer your computer are bad enough. Now scientists worry that someday, they’ll try to take over your brain.

In the past year, researchers have developed technology that makes it possible to use thoughts to operate a computer, maneuver a wheelchair or even use Twitter — all without lifting a finger. But as neural devices become more complicated — and go wireless — some scientists say the risks of “brain hacking” should be taken seriously.

khanster

PreviousNext

Return to Questions that make you think...

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts