The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

The Candid Canonist - Christian Thoughts

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby frrostedman » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:35 pm

He who is armed with the power of God will not tremble at the noise raised by the world, but will reckon it as honorable that wicked men mark him with disgrace.

John Calvin
"But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about Jesus being a great teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." C.S. Lewis
frrostedman

Postby frrostedman » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:54 pm

Just to add to the above... I've always just naturally felt honored and spiritually strengthened when I'm treated poorly or mocked for my beliefs. I was happy to read the quote above, in a pamphlet I received today. It's totally reverse psychology but honestly, the Christian knows they are doing something right when the world treats them harshly. I don't expect any non-Christian to relate or even appreciate that message but it's 100% true.
"But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about Jesus being a great teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." C.S. Lewis
frrostedman

Postby MonarchSmile » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:42 am

For you :!:
and non believers(indigenous peoples) have been murdered and enslaved
for that type of thinking by Christ followers since.........
MonarchSmile

Postby humphreys » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:40 am

This kind of thinking is not unique to Christianity, in fact, I can barely think of a single religion, or cult, that does not reason the same way.

Come to think of it, even atheists reason the same way when they are ridiculed, held in disgust, or abused by religious people.
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby qmark » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:58 pm

That may be true but I think the difference is in the response.
qmark

Postby event_horizon » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:20 pm

Chest-thumping caveman.

:lol:
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
event_horizon

Postby inja » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:38 pm

qmark wrote:That may be true but I think the difference is in the response.

But it means absolutely nothing qmark.
The Jews have a history of persecution they keep alive so they can full fill what they believe is their purpose.
The Muslims persecute, criticize or as frrostedman says mock and treated poorly other Muslims in regards to a technicality that keeps their argument alive.
Tibetan monks are killed for their way of life by the Chinese communist regime.

Christianity does not fall out of that category or sphere. There is no difference. Each one of these groups feel the same way as frrostedman and they too most often do not use violence as a retribution.

What makes the Christian response any different to ridicule? Nothing really. Ridicule, mock and even going to war or reacting violently is mainly lack of respect for anothers way of thinking, living and belief. You and others might become stronger and more determined in your own belief system but it has nothing to do with being right. Everybody believes they are right. When in reality we all have found in one form or another a language we can relate to because it is our own language of understanding.

I read frrostedman quote and see it as a blanket statement for every religious and spiritual person on the earth....not a theme merely for the Christian community.

Personally I like this translation from the Dead Sea Scroll

...to lift our eyes to heaven when the eyes of others are on the ground is not easy. To worship at the feet of the angles when others worship fame and riches is not easy. But perhaps the most difficult of all is to think the thoughts of the angels, to speak the words of the angels, and to do as angels do.
Truth is stranger than fiction, because fiction has to make sense.
inja

Postby frrostedman » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:49 pm

It appears that the whole thing got sidetracked and perhaps missed.

The point John Calvin makes to the Christian is, don't be distressed or saddened when the world mocks you and disgraces you. Instead understand that you are on the right path, and let it strengthen your resolve.

Whether or not other religions feel the same way is irrelevant, as I never made a claim to it being exclusive to Christianity.
Last edited by frrostedman on Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
frrostedman

Postby frrostedman » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:04 pm

If science contradicts religion, or if religion contradicts science, at least one of them must be wrong. There have been times in history where the scientific community has corrected not the bible, but poor interpretation of the bible, as we saw in the Galilean scandal. On the other hand, biblical revelation can act as intellectual brakes upon scientific theories that are groundless.

R. C. Sproul
frrostedman

Postby humphreys » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:18 am

frrostedman wrote:It appears that the whole thing got sidetracked and perhaps missed.

The point John Calvin makes to the Christian is, don't be distressed or saddened when the world mocks you and disgraces you. Instead understand that you are on the right path, and let it strengthen your resolve.

Whether or not other religions feel the same way is irrelevant, as I never made a claim to it being exclusive to Christianity.

There is certainly the implication that being abused means you are on the right path, but as Inja pointed out, that's not necessarily the case at all.

This reminds me of:

Crazy Inventor: They may well laugh at me, but they laughed at The Wright Brothers, too!
Skeptic: Yeah, but they also laughed at Bozo the Clown

Maybe you're just being mocked because you have silly beliefs :D
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Next

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts