The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

Texas Driver Charged!

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Should a DUI caused Death become a murder charge

Poll ended at Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:03 pm

Yes, it should be considered murder
44%
No, it should not be considered murder
22%
Multiple Deaths DUI could be life imprisonment
No votes
Special circumstances could be the Death Penalty
33%

Total votes : 9

Postby greeney2 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:56 pm

I'm sure this guy would shot himself if given the chance! What was he thinking getting behind a wheel with all those kids in the car. When are we going to get serious about a special murder classification for DUI deaths? Vehicular Manslauder, even if he ended up with life for all these counts, is not enough.

This one has a double whammy! Second part of this is The Cell phone obsession we are all addicted to for some stupid reason. What is so important to not consider, Drunk or sober, that when you fiddle around with a cell phone, accidents happen. Even on a bright perfect day, what ever the call was about, wait and return the call when you pull over and park. Nobody is missing a call, incoming calls are all recorded, and can be called right back if you pull over and stop.

These babies drowned a horrible death from another fool who couldn't control his drinking or stupidity of having to answer a phone driving in bad weather. I hope he rots for it a long long time. Put him in a cell with cellphone ringtones playing 24/7, until he dies from old age. I would have no problem with the death penalty for him.

Driver charged in Texas crash that killed 5 kids
Buzz Up Send
Email IM Share
Delicious Digg Facebook Fark Newsvine Reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Bookmarks Print AP – Houston firefighters search the water for a vehicle that went into the bayou after heavy rains drenched …
Play Video Video:Five are dead in the Houston floods KVUE-TV Austin Play Video Video:Houston flooding leaves five children dead AP By JUAN A. LOZANO, Associated Press Writer Juan A. Lozano, Associated Press Writer – 37 mins ago
HOUSTON – Police filed intoxication manslaughter charges Sunday against a driver who lost control of his car while using a cell phone, plunging the vehicle into a rain-filled ditch and killing five children inside.

Chanton Jenkins, 32, was in police custody facing four counts of intoxication manslaughter, one charge for each of the children found dead so far, said Houston police spokesman Kese Smith. Police said a relative told them Jenkins was the father of three of the victims.

Jenkins failed a field sobriety test following Saturday's crash, which occurred after heavy rain turned the ditch into a torrent. The results of a blood alcohol test were pending, Smith said.

It was unclear if Jenkins had an attorney.

The search was continuing for the missing victim, a 3-year-old girl. A dive team searched a bayou for the child Sunday afternoon, Smith said.

The bodies of three boys — ages 4, 7 and 11 — were found inside the vehicle. A body believed to be that of a 1-year-old girl swept away from the car was found Sunday.

The car crashed into the ditch about two miles from the point where it feeds into Greens Bayou, a waterway that begins in northern Harris County and flows eastward and then south for about 40 miles before emptying into the Houston Ship Channel.

Jenkins and another adult escaped from the vehicle, along with a 10-year-old girl.

It took 2 1/2 hours to find the car in the ditch, which had filled with 9 1/2 feet of fast-moving water, and it was close to midnight before the current had eased enough for a dive team to recover the boys' bodies and discover that the girls had been swept away, Smith said. Police said the vehicle was swept 100 feet from the spot where it left the road.

Police said the adult passenger, who is Jenkins' brother, told police Jenkins was the father of four of the children, including the girl who escaped.

Jenkins' brother told police rain was falling heavily when Jenkins answered a cell phone. He said Jenkins lost control when he hung up the phone and the car flew down an embankment into the ditch, Smith said.

Family members and friends searched for the girls' bodies Sunday, walking with police officers along the ditch, by then no longer filled with raging waters. At least 30 family members and friends gathered at the accident site and at one point some gathered in a circle and prayed.

"We know they are not going to be found alive. But we're hoping that they can just find them," said Cheri Smith, 40, whose cousin is the mother of the two little girls. The girls, who were sisters, were cousins of the other children in the car, she said.

Cheri Smith said the family was focused on the search and not the circumstances that led to the accident.

At least one other traffic death was blamed on the powerful storms that swept across southeast Texas.
greeney2

Postby chiselray » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:31 pm

I know the Attorney general (us) is all for charging DUI drivers with murder if they cause a fatality.
Here in australia the view is very different.

It is considered an accident ,only a manslaughter charge applies.
6 months ago a 20 year old was drunk and los control of his car ran into a 3 year old and killed her...he may be out of jail in 3 years..its wrong as hell.
I know of one man who has killed on 3 occasions whilst being over the limit and still has not received a life ban of his license ..True story..To receive a lifes ban you need to commit 3 offenses within a 10 year period :roll:
If you steal gold over here your likely to get a 10 year sentence for the first offense..our priorities are well void of common sense .
The gold stealing charge is so severe it is meant to shun anyone away from committing the easy to commit offense..thats where the other laws seems so ridiculous as they arent written with the same commitment..
chiselray

Postby Tairaa » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:04 pm

Chisel, our priorities as a country as far as laws go are also very skewed in my opinion, and I can think of a couple of examples of the US being guilty too. It's not just you.

This guy...

I dunno. I wouldn't have a problem with the death penalty. As it stands however, he will have to live with the results of his actions for the rest of his life, and I'm sure that will be a far greater torment then anything anyone could do to him.
"George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."
Tairaa

Postby chiselray » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:41 pm

And also that is true,they live with the consequences ,the guy i mentioned obviously didnt care when he killed 3 people on 3 occasions on different years whilst drunk driving..
I would expect most people would live with the torment i agree
chiselray

Postby greeney2 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:28 pm

Taira only becasue 3 of these kids were his may this be true. But question is, why would he drive drunk with his own + 2 others in the car. Sadly, the remorse only comes when it is too late when it comes the Drunk driving. They aren;t evil people, they just live in denial 24/7 that they do not have a problem or that they are a hazzard to evryone qround them. Thats the unfortunate symptom of this desease.

How much do people really care when every evening news is loaded with these stories. Just 10 minutes ago in Los Angeles our news told of another Drunk hit and run arrest, who killed a bycyclist. Last week Drunk hit and run that killed the baseball pitcher and 2 others, leaving the 4th fighting for his life. The week before, a USC student and friend, hit walking accross the steet by a drunk driver on a suspended licence. She was killed, and her friend broke both arms and legs. After going 500 feet with him in the windshield, her husband passenger got out, yanked him out of the windshield and thru him on the ground, and they sped off. Driver arrested withing 3 days, he fled to Mexico where he was just arrested Friday trying to come back into the USA. This accident was at 3am, and they also had their 1 or 2 year old in the back seat. Drunk, suspended licence, hit and run, 3am, and they were out with an infant running around. These people never have remorse!
greeney2

Postby mael » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:27 am

Hmmm! Typical "African-American" behaviour. Save yourself and leave the kids to drown.
mael

Postby Jaack » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:59 am

The whole thing is horrible and hopefully the guy will go away for a requisite period of time.
What?
Jaack

Postby Cole_Trickle » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:18 am

Bad story to even think about let alone talk about. Pretty obvious about the do's and don'ts, don't ya think.

Need a clear perspective on all of this before it sinks in. Plant a pic of one of your own and then think about the loss.

Staggering indeed.

Cole

PS. This has happened before and the drivers were stone cold sober. Being stupid has no limit.
Cole_Trickle

Postby Lashmar » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:16 am

Hang, draw and quarter. I think that is fair enough.

I just don’t understand what it is with people and phones these days. People are always on them, some people even have phones in the bedroom, who is going to call you when you’re asleep, and if they do you tell them to F-off.

Hang him, shoot him, poison him do what ever you want just kill him. All this BS about the `mental` side of it, “he can go to prison because it will do more damage to his mind than if we just killed him” what sort of sh*t reason is that not to kill him. How much will it cost to keep him for the next fifty years, close to a million pound in this country, how much money do governments spend of every one of these people per year, hundreds of millions (I think we spent 800 million last year on people like this). Yet how much do they spend on cancer research and things like that? Nothing.

Stop wasting our money on people like this and spend it where it is needed by people that deserve it. :x
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby mael » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:36 am

Lager? Or the hard stuff? :lol: Lots of passion there! :shock:
mael

Next

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts