The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Other Paranormal and Occult

Sleep paralysis

The paranormal and occult have many sides, discuss all other paranormal/occult topics that don't fit anywhere else.

Postby j2tks » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:37 pm

hi item 7

i to have had sleeping problems all my life, till about 5 years ago
ditto bionic really, i have had expeirences which i could only explain 2 myself as paranormal,then lost someone dear 2 me which led to me praying everynight. it made me feel sort of protected and they calmed down. till then my sleeping problems were all about dreams of ghosts poking me and "getting me". a few months after the tragic death i awoke with paralasis and the strong awarenes that the presence was still by my pillow, i panicked badly and finally as able 2 wake my partner, it happened again months later but i reacted more with rage than anger that time and was able 2 move alot quicker.
the final part of it all was to do with the death of my step-mother about a year later, we never got on and for the sake of my dad i never had it out with her and 2 make it worse was all but ignored in the funarel arrangements, as u can imagine this was like a knife in the back.

anyways 2 cut it short i was/am very angry with her and have sworn to kick her arse if we meet again. she was quite psychic and told me as a child that she would haunt me when she was gone, this stuck in my head all my life, so when i started dreaming about her, poking me and whispering and calling my name, again i had a very angry reaction and (in my dream) would instantly start stricking out.

i very rarely have these dreams anymore and can finely sleep.
i must also mention that i saw an article in something i read that listed symptoms of a cetrain sleep disorder as, heariing your name been called, constant shaking or waggling of the feet,and sleep paralasis

heres hoping that u beat the "demons" :D
j2tks

Postby mrshumphreys » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:33 am

I used to get a lot of SP, along with panic attacks, and at one time, hallucinations of all kinds. The hallucinations stopped after my brain hemmorage, but the SP and panic attacks continued on for sometime. Just knowing that I was having a panic attack has (so far) cured me of those. Now that I know what is coming, I'm able to calm myself down before it begins. I still get SP every once in awhile. It used to really scare the crap out of me. Now I just try to fall asleep (completely) when it happens. I either fall all the way asleep, or I manage to wake all the way up... either one solves it. From what I've read, it's basically when your body goes into deep sleep mode before your mind gets all the way there. In my very first one, I heard air raid sirens and saw a shadow demon and the faces of everyone I knew flashed at me. Really weird, right?

Anyway, when this sort of thing happens to me, it's generally brought about by stress.
"It's like arguing with a brick wall, except the brick wall thinks you're an idiot, and thinks it's winning." - Humphreys, that sexy beast.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
mrshumphreys

Postby bionic » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:08 pm

Anyway, when this sort of thing happens to me, it's generally brought about by stress.

that's an interesting point.

Stress, for me, brings on some semi lucid dreaming and nightmares.

For me, SP is/was brought on more by oversleeping. To the point that , if I wanted it, I know, if I oversleep for a couple days in a row I will SP, lucid dream and maybe even OBEE.

My H, however..talks in his sleep..stress brings that on.
A light soprt of sleep.

I think it has more to do light sleeping..regardless of your "tigger'..be it too much sleep..or stressful sleep.

Also..worht noting..hen I wa syounger I realized I could OBEE and/or lucid dream if I leanred to stay more consious as I fell aslep..at that point..made that semi awake conscious last as long as possible..whatever state your brain is at that time..when the door is ajar
“Whether you sniff it smoke it eat it or shove it up your ass the result is the same: addiction.”
― William S. Burroughs
(love&forgive yourself..and everyone else)
bionic

Postby fortwynt » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:57 pm

Sleep Paralysis, being one major symptom of Narcolepsy.

Others being:

Hypnogogic Hallucinations
Automatic Behavior
Excessive Day Time Sleepiness
Rapid Onset REM
Cataplexy
(not necessarily in that order of importance)

Typically, EDS and Rapid Onset REM are the main markers, with Sleep Paralysis occurring almost exclusively in Narcolepsy.

I will say this. I have come to not really differentiate between cataplexy and sleep paralysis, except for the fact that SP occurs (obviously) during an attempt to fall asleep or upon awakening, whilst "cataplexy" occurs while fully awake and standing/sitting with some sort of heightened emotional trigger such as intense laughter for instance....

I'll tell you what happens to me....if i hear something that is really super funny...you know, the kind of thing that just catches you off guard and makes you "belly laugh"...this sort of thing always at first causes my face to go slack and my legs feel like they will buckle for jus ta split second...to me, it is the exact same feeling i have when SP is coming upon me, except in SP one is laying down and the body is not "fighting to stand" thwarting it a bit.
fortwynt

Postby mrshumphreys » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:42 am

Pretty much all my dreams are lucid at this point, I'm not sure when that happened, to be honest.
Probably sometime after I started reading up on all the weird stuff that was happening to me when I tried to sleep. I tend to just let my dreams play themselves out now, but I'm always aware that I can stop it completely if I don't like where it's going. Which is quite empowering for someone whose childhood was filled with reoccurring nightmares.
"It's like arguing with a brick wall, except the brick wall thinks you're an idiot, and thinks it's winning." - Humphreys, that sexy beast.

mrshumphreys

Postby sheye » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:19 pm

I realize this is an old thread ,but its intrigued me since I've been here, and I just thought maybe I would add my experiences. The first time I experienced SP I was probably in my early 20's. Was having some kind of dream where this very strong sexual energy was drawing me towards it. It wasn't a nice sexual energy ,but dark and very powerful. In the dream I felt that if this sexual energy or dark power actually drew me in, it would be a point of no return. I began to pray to jesus in my dream,but it wasn't working and I felt my spirit tell me that I needed to call His name with the power of the holy spirit in the "now" mode. Its hard to explain ,but it had to do with present tense. As soon as I did this I immediately woke up,but it felt like a 200 lb invisible being was on top of me and I couldn't move. A weight so heavy that I just laid there for at least a minute till it finally went away. It was a long minute. It was very strange,and very frightening. Around that time I would also wake up everynight at exactly 3:03 AM. Started freaking me out a bit and didn't know what to make of it.
Would just wake up ,look at the digital clock at my bedside and it would be the exact same time always.That was a long time ago,but when I read this thread it brought back that memory immediately.

I had another brief experience quite a few years ago as well. Had fallen asleep on the couch, and when I woke up I couldn't move...just totally frozen in postion. Was a weird feeling but not nearly as frightening as the first time.

I've had a few really bad nightmares over the years as well, about different experiences . These were very overwhelming and emotional ,and sometimes I feel like i was supposed to learn something from them, like they were teaching me something I needed to know. I won't share them now,but maybe someday I will, and maybe can get some opinions on why I would dream them.
sheye

Postby bionic » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:06 am

Was it 3:30 am?
I know it's so well known these days, it's become cliche at this point. (The "witching hour" between 3 and 4 am)
But growing up and in my young adulthood, most of my episodes happened between 3 and 3:30 am..usually almost right on the nose, or literally at 3:30 am.
That, or weirdly, when I napped in the afternoon.
“Whether you sniff it smoke it eat it or shove it up your ass the result is the same: addiction.”
― William S. Burroughs
(love&forgive yourself..and everyone else)
bionic

Postby mrshumphreys » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:31 am

I've had a ton of SP happen during afternoon naps.

mrshumphreys

Postby sheye » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:04 pm

Was it 3:30 am?

Mine was at exactly 3:03 AM . happened about 5 to 6 times,then stopped
It was around the time of the SP incident. I moved shortly after that time as well..so maybe why it didn't happen after that??
sheye

Postby sandra » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:08 pm

sheye wrote:I had another brief experience quite a few years ago as well. Had fallen asleep on the couch, and when I woke up I couldn't move...just totally frozen in postion. Was a weird feeling but not nearly as frightening as the first time.

This has happened to me. It was the most terrifying thing I have experienced yet.....just totally frozen couldnt move can't speak nor yell nor nothing.....and I kept having them, until one time it provoked me into leaving my body. It was then I realised that these things have meaning, not bad necessarily, unless thats how you look at it? But for me they taught me alot of things. Like how fear holds us back, and how taking risks without understanding every little detail, can be monumental in my growth.
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
sandra

PreviousNext

Return to Other Paranormal and Occult

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts