The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Saudi judge upholds marriage to 8 year old

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby Halfabo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:24 am

Well, here is something from one of your sources. I also posted it in your other thread to make sure you don't miss it.

First your source says that the overwhelming impression
is given that fathers betrothed their daughters while
they were still minors. Then it goes on to say that
they found absolutely no evidence to support that
impression. You are presenting a pretty weak claim,
as usual Nesaie. Let me give you a direct quote from
your source.

"A survey of epitaphs of Jewish women from late antiquity
reveals relatively few women who married in their early
teens, with far more marrying in their mid-teens or
later: not a single Jewish inscription from antiquity
records a woman married while under twelve years old."

So it would seem that your claim that the Islamic practice of marrying off eight year old girls to old men coming from the Old Testament, it pure B.S.. Just like every thing else you claim to know about Christianity and Judaism, or the Bible for that matter.

You seem to enjoy making unfounded claims without thoroughly researching your topic, or should I say without researching your topic at all. You seem to scan a few articles to find a couple of words that you think support you position, perhaps you should read the entire subject before making yourself look foolish.
Halfabo
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby hxxx » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:50 pm

How common in Islam is the practice of marrying prepubescent children?

I'll venture that it is not common.

How common is the practice outside of ass-backwards countries like S. Arabia?

I'll venture even less common.

Not funny that S. Arabia is our friend in the M East.

If a Xian commits a 'wrong-doing', can we fairly assume that such 'wrong-doing' is a Xian practice?

How many Xians adherents must engage in the act before it becomes a 'Xian practice'?
hxxx
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby Halfabo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:04 pm

hxxx wrote:How common in Islam is the practice of marrying prepubescent children?

I'll venture that it is not common.

How common is the practice outside of ass-backwards countries like S. Arabia?

I'll venture even less common.

Not funny that S. Arabia is our friend in the M East.

If a Xian commits a 'wrong-doing', can we fairly assume that such 'wrong-doing' is a Xian practice?

How many Xians adherents must engage in the act before it becomes a 'Xian practice'?



Common enough that Shar'ia law supports its practice, as does the Koran. After all they are following the example of their prophet Mohammad when he married six year old Aisha, and consummated the marriage when she was nine.

As for how this would apply to "Xians", I've never heard of Xians and don't know what they are.
Halfabo
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby Nesaie » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:27 pm

hxxx, no it isn't common. Neither is polygyny, though it was practiced in Biblical days and still practiced in Islam, it is basically for the rich. Most men couldn't afford more than one wife financially or emotionally. ;)

Halfabo nope, that is not what that particular book said.

"There is even less evidence regarding female age at marriage. As noted, the overwhelming impression givin in the legal sources is that father betrothed their daughters while they were still minors. Without doubt, this happened. We do not know, however, how often it happened."
pg 107

Then it goes on to talking about men checking for "blemishes" on the women and how puberty ties in with this and the Pagan Babylonian Law and marriage. Then the author gives an example of a story where a little girl small enough to sit on her grandfathers shoulders was already betrothed. The grandfather didn't like this so the author goes on to say, "Betrothal was early, but the practice of early betrothal was apparently not uncontested." page 108

It happened in the early Hebrew culture just like it continues today with Abraham's Semitic descendants, the Arabs. It was rare then, and is rare today, yet it is sanctioned by Hebrew Law through the Talmud. That is where Sharia Law comes from. Mohamed said that the other tribes didn't keep the covenant with their god, but his followers would. That is why they stone people and desecrate religions that have idols they worship, like crosses or Buddhas.
Such a society would be dominated by an elite, unrestrained by traditional values. Soon it will be possible to assert almost continuous surveillance over every citizen... - Zbigniew Brezhinsky
User avatar
Nesaie
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby Halfabo » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:13 pm

Nesaie wrote:
Halfabo nope, that is not what that particular book said.

"There is even less evidence regarding female age at marriage. As noted, the overwhelming impression givin in the legal sources is that father betrothed their daughters while they were still minors. Without doubt, this happened. We do not know, however, how often it happened."
pg 107




And the part I quoted comes directly after what you just quoted. Your quote says they have an "impression" of this happening, not evidence of it happening. What I quoted from your source said they had no evidence of it happening. So, yeah that is what it said.
Halfabo
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby hxxx » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:55 am

Halfabo wrote:
hxxx wrote:How common in Islam is the practice of marrying prepubescent children?

I'll venture that it is not common.

How common is the practice outside of ass-backwards countries like S. Arabia?

I'll venture even less common.

Not funny that S. Arabia is our friend in the M East.

If a Xian commits a 'wrong-doing', can we fairly assume that such 'wrong-doing' is a Xian practice?

How many Xians adherents must engage in the act before it becomes a 'Xian practice'?



Common enough that Shar'ia law supports its practice, as does the Koran. After all they are following the example of their prophet Mohammad when he married six year old Aisha, and consummated the marriage when she was nine.

As for how this would apply to "Xians", I've never heard of Xians and don't know what they are.


...and how likely is it that a muslim lives in a country that actually follows sharia law? very unlikely.

...as for Xians, they are the people that celebrate Xmas. Most people could figure that out.

Of course, we should all remember that you are not most people.
hxxx
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby greeney2 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:01 am

Reread the Torah and what it has to say about slavery of women, rape, etc. It is all in your Bible.


Somewhere between now and 5000 years ago +/- a few thousand years, everyone except the Islamic faiths joined the modern world, and do not practice these things. Laws were passed against them, but apparently middle eastern countries have laws to support a 8 yr old Debt marriage, or requiring a rape victim to have 4 eyewhiltneses or be tried for immoral behavior, or just shooting anyone as an honor killing. Marrying an 8 year old is just another sick practice, just as the many abuses of women in that society. They do not compare to any other religion in modern day actions.

I don't understand your constant defending of practices in the middle east against women and children, their oppression, while you constant bash Christianty and Catholics.
greeney2
 
Posts: 9526
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby greeney2 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:05 am

Iran just sentenced a female American journalist, to 8 years in prison for spying on Iran. More equal rights for woman????
greeney2
 
Posts: 9526
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby Dark-Samus » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:34 am

I agree on the Islamic part, I`ve even seen documentaries when they have interviewed muslim Imans.
Most of them said.

Islam will not change when it comes to the basics of our faith.
However, we also need to adapt to the modern world or else we will always be seen as loners.
And many of them do not like the situation women have today, and they don´t mean just in the Middle-East but around the world.
Truth doesn´t control you, you control it...
User avatar
Dark-Samus
 
Posts: 2584
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby Halfabo » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:00 pm

hxxx wrote:
...and how likely is it that a muslim lives in a country that actually follows sharia law? very unlikely.

...as for Xians, they are the people that celebrate Xmas. Most people could figure that out.

Of course, we should all remember that you are not most people.



Guess again, or just try looking at any of the current events. Any person breaking any part of Shar'ia law in any Islamic country is subject to the death penalty. So yeah, they all follow Sharia law. What's worse is, many Muslims living here in the United states have been petitioning our government to institute Sharia law for their communities here. You obviously choose to remain ignorant on the subject. That being the case, there's no way I can help to enlighten you.

And I have still never heard of "Xians" or anyone who celebrates "Xmas". Perhaps your referring to people who worship the X-games, or maybe the X-files?
Halfabo
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality

cron
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 10 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 292 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:19 pm
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest