The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

RIP Christopher Hitchens

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby greeney2 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:09 am

Humphreys, please go to your email box, I sent you a message.
greeney2

Postby humphreys » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:29 am

Ok, so I did reply to you frrosted, but my post got mistakenly deleted due to a mix-up. Not to worry.

I don't wanna rewrite it out all over again, but to "nutshell" it for you, I wouldn't teach my kid atheism or religious belief, I would teach them the critical thinking skills needed to come to their own conclusions, and the link I gave was:

http://www.criticalthinking.org/pages/s ... ght/466#s1

These are the kinds of skills kids and adults alike should be taught, and I don't think even the most desperate cases need to be indoctrinated into belief or non-belief.

My other post was much longer but probably had a lot of waffle too 8-)
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby event_horizon » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:49 pm

qmark wrote:Never have I heard that "science is the devils work" or "satan planted the dinosaur bones" from anyone within the church.

It's all over the Internet. Look:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=dinosaur+b ... 20&x=0&y=0

And here's a Christian that claims he was taught that in Sunday School:

http://www.christianforums.com/t2678951/

qmark wrote:
event_horizon wrote:It's certainly not effective in keeping people from "sinning," I'll give you that. But in their minds they think they can get away with it, because as long as they ask for forgiveness they can still be "saved". That's what makes Christianity so foul, and why priests molest little boys.

A statement like that only shows your ignorance. The Bible specifically speaks against that.

"Ignorance" about what? They still do it. How else do you explain the behavior of pedophilic priests? Obviously they don't think they'll end up in "Hell" because they think Jesus will "save" them later on when they repent.

qmark wrote:
event_horizon wrote:
qmark wrote:We are all deserving of hell.

Speak for yourself.

Yes, I can clearly see by your interaction with others here on the BV that you are a stand-up guy. :lol:

Sure...and I "deserve to burn in Hell" for arguing with people?

I'm not the only one in here with an attitude.

qmark wrote:By the way, with all of his brilliance, Hitchens was far from an expert in spiritual matters.

He was certainly an expert on religion though. Read his book 'God is not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything,' and see for yourself.

qmark wrote:No it wouldn't have. There are far too many that have walked away even though they grew up in a religious household. You just don't want to accept that.

There are far too many that have stayed in it as well. You don't want to accept that.
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
event_horizon

Postby event_horizon » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:03 pm

frrostedman wrote:Indoctrination does not work on anyone capable of thinking for themselves.

Like I said, once they're indoctrinated and are brainwashed throughout their childhood, they're no longer capable of thinking for themselves, typically.

frrostedman wrote:That's just a fact. And, people that fit into the "can't think for themselves" category are just as susceptible to any other "indoctrination" as they would be the Christian variety so really, the claim is baseless.

So, Christian indoctrination is just as bad as any other form of indoctrination. Thanks for your admission.

frrostedman wrote:As an aside, you know, the group that followed Manson around and murdered all those people in California... they fit into the category. And given either option, call me a overzealous, but, I'm thinking I would rather they have fallen "victim" to Christian indoctrination than Manson indoctrination. But that's just me.

How about NO indoctrination. Let children find their own path, with the usual parental guidelines of course.

frrostedman wrote:I mean, is it really that horrible for a susceptible person, incapable of forming their own beliefs, to turn out to believe and follow the teachings of Jesus, given all the other alternatives? Sure, maybe Atheism or Agnosticism is "superior" in your eyes. But if so. Why? Is Christian doctrine such a horrible thing? Is it completely wrong and immoral? Why?

Because it's wrong and immoral to fill people's heads with false beliefs, that's why. It also stagnates human progress/philosophy. And as long as Judeo-Christianity and Islam exists, these religious wars will never end. Granted, humans usually find other things to go to war over, but who knows, maybe we can find peace one of these days. But as long as the two major conflicting religions exist, there can never be peace. These religions must be eradicated from our society, however long it takes.
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
event_horizon

Postby greeney2 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:30 pm

Humphreys post was accidently deleted by me early this morning. It was a honest mistake, I am very sorry about. I appologize to you Humphreys.
greeney2

Postby at1with0 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:56 pm

Why are you censoring his posts?

:lol:
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby humphreys » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:07 am

My post contained above acceptable levels of truthiness for this board, and was subsequently removed :snooty:
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby event_horizon » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:13 pm

Same ol' greeny...deleting posts...censoring stuff....this board has become a police state. :lol:
event_horizon

Postby at1with0 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:22 pm

event_horizon wrote:Same ol' greeny...deleting posts...censoring stuff....this board has become a police state. :lol:

Yes you should leave.

I hope greeney deletes some more posts. :P
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby orangetom1999 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:35 pm

Event Horizon wrote..

Because it's wrong and immoral to fill people's heads with false beliefs, that's why. It also stagnates human progress/philosophy. And as long as Judeo-Christianity and Islam exists, these religious wars will never end. Granted, humans usually find other things to go to war over, but who knows, maybe we can find peace one of these days. But as long as the two major conflicting religions exist, there can never be peace. These religions must be eradicated from our society, however long it takes.

Talk about doublespeak. This is textbook of rational human reasoning. The ultimate expression of man's logic and reason.

Religious wars are a bad thing......but..........

Granted, humans usually find other things to go to war over, but who knows, maybe we can find peace one of these days.

Anyone out here catch the bad nonsense that this line of reason and logic makes?? The double standard?? Anyone here catch the false belief????

I will say it again...since the French Revolution...and the wars which were to follow.....in the time of reason..the fruit of the age of reasonable men...men of logic and reason...wise men...more people have been killed and slaughtered across this globe..and at a faster rate than in the years before.

And these are the heydays of science...logic and reason...Astonishing

Once again...you have to go to public school to become this ignorant and think no one will notice it.

I am the kind of fellow who will ask.......if more people have been killed and slaughtered across this globe since the French Revolution....what kind of religion is in play here?? What kind of devout religion is going on here that even the wise educated peoples don' seem to recognize it for what it is??? A religion undefined to most people being taught history or even with the ability to think for themselves??

Hope this gets some of you to think outside the box.

Orangetom
orangetom1999

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts