The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

RIP Christopher Hitchens

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby greeney2 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:02 am

He doesn't get it, and never will, becasue thats what he wants to believe.
greeney2

Postby bionic » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 am

frrostedman wrote:Bro, it makes you scratch your head, doesn't it? So many assumptions are made, of what goes on inside the church, by people that haven't set foot in a church in 30 years... if ever in their lives.

It's a form of bigotry, to be honest. Also..I believe EH is full of shite and just playing around with you all's..like a sort of social experiment..I don't know if he believes in God or not..he probably doesn't even know, himself..what I DO know..is that he loves to troll and play with you guys, though..to see how to get a rise out of you...
he probably also goes to athiest forums and pretends to be a, balls to the wall, born again..just so you know

he is hilarious
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
bionic

Postby at1with0 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:48 am

greeney2 wrote:He doesn't get it, and never will, becasue thats what he wants to believe.

To be fair, that might apply to many more than just EH.

bionic wrote:
frrostedman wrote:Bro, it makes you scratch your head, doesn't it? So many assumptions are made, of what goes on inside the church, by people that haven't set foot in a church in 30 years... if ever in their lives.

It's a form of bigotry, to be honest. Also..I believe EH is full of shite and just playing around with you all's..like a sort of social experiment..I don't know if he believes in God or not..he probably doesn't even know, himself..what I DO know..is that he loves to troll and play with you guys, though..to see how to get a rise out of you...
he probably also goes to athiest forums and pretends to be a, balls to the wall, born again..just so you know

he is hilarious

Oh we know he's just a troll... If he ever wanted my serious opinion, he'd be more serious...I like to just toy with him.
I hope no one thinks I should kill my inner child.
Then again, it's not like we're going for a Nobel prize in here. Just sayin..
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby event_horizon » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:28 pm

qmark wrote:
event_horizon wrote:It's used as a tool for indoctrination at very early ages. You can't tell me that children aren't scared to death when told about "Hell".

I will tell you that. I don't know if you have been to church to see what is being taught to children of "very early ages", probably not, but I have, and I can tell you the focus is almost exclusively concentrated on the love of Jesus.

Right, and all the atrocities, slavery, orders to kill people, and genocide committed by the Biblical "God" are ignored. Let's fill their heads with only the good parts, eh?

So are you trying to tell me (in your corner of the world) that children are never told even once about "Hell"? It doesn't matter if it comes from the church, sunday school, the parents, or some nutjob teacher, they'll be told about it from some Christian in their lives. And when they hear it it'll scare the crap out of them, and by the time they're adults they'll be so brainwashed by the religion itself, the chances of them overcoming it and thinking for themselves and choosing their own path through life is slim to none, with "Hell" being the most descouraging factor from them doing so...because "oh my, what if it's true?"

So tell me, when were you first told about "Hell"? Were you already indoctrinated before being told?

qmark wrote:However, I must say, one can not be "indoctrinated" into being a Christian.

How's that?...when children are being dragged into church before they're in kindergarten...before they're even capable of rational thought, yes they are being indoctrinated. If that's not indoctrination then I don't know what is.

Indoctrinate - cause to believe something: to teach somebody a belief, doctrine, or ideology thoroughly and systematically, especially with the goal of discouraging independent thought or the acceptance of other opinions.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=indoctrina ... 14&pc=Z125
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
event_horizon

Postby event_horizon » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:31 pm

frrostedman wrote:
qmark wrote:
event_horizon wrote:It's used as a tool for indoctrination at very early ages. You can't tell me that children aren't scared to death when told about "Hell".

I will tell you that. I don't know if you have been to church to see what is being taught to children of "very early ages", probably not, but I have, and I can tell you the focus is almost exclusively concentrated on the love of Jesus.

However, I must say, one can not be "indoctrinated" into being a Christian. Whether the preaching is fire and brimestone or sunshine and pearly gates, it doesn't matter. If it did, you would probably be a christian by now. ;)

Bro, it makes you scratch your head, doesn't it? So many assumptions are made, of what goes on inside the church, by people that haven't set foot in a church in 30 years... if ever in their lives.

I didn't say church, bro. Qmark did. Please, try and pay attention to what's going on. Thank you.
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
event_horizon

Postby event_horizon » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:34 pm

greeney2 wrote:He doesn't get it, and never will, becasue thats what he wants to believe.

What are you going on about now? What exactly do I "want to believe"? You need to take a long hard look in the mirror when it comes to that, pal.
event_horizon

Postby at1with0 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:50 pm

Glad I no longer have to reply to that inane diatribe.
at1with0

Postby event_horizon » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:58 pm

bionic wrote:

he is hilarious

I'm serious with those who are serious, and I clown with those who are clowns.

And no, I don't believe in "God". It's funny that after all this time you still haven't figured that out. Like I've told Zero and others here countless times, I mostly just come here to vent about the religion(s) that has been tearing this world apart slowly for millenniums, and maybe get someone to open their eyes about the fallacy in their religion (which would just be a bonus). Other times I might click on the title of a thread that I think I'll get good laugh out of...such as "Proofs of God," or "Scientists say Turin Shroud is Supernatural," or "Image of Jesus Appears in the Clouds"...ya know, stuff like that. That's about it.
event_horizon

Postby at1with0 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:08 pm

at1with0

Postby qmark » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:12 pm

event_horizon wrote:Right, and all the atrocities, slavery, orders to kill people, and genocide committed by the Biblical "God" are ignored. Let's fill their heads with only the good parts, eh?

So are you trying to tell me (in your corner of the world) that children are never told even once about "Hell"? It doesn't matter if it comes from the church, sunday school, the parents, or some nutjob teacher, they'll be told about it from some Christian in their lives. And when they hear it it'll scare the crap out of them, and by the time they're adults they'll be so brainwashed by the religion itself, the chances of them overcoming it and thinking for themselves and choosing their own path through life is slim to none, with "Hell" being the most descouraging factor from them doing so...because "oh my, what if it's true?"

If that were true, then we would be living in a world where everything is just about perfect because everybody would be too afraid to do anything. Can't you see how stupid that statement sounds? I read that the statistics within the church are almost the same as those outside the church. That blows your theory right out of the water.

event_horizon wrote:So tell me, when were you first told about "Hell"? Were you already indoctrinated before being told?

I was not raised in a home that went to church or by parents who, as far as I know, believed in God. My grandmother took me to a Methodist church a few times but I can tell you I wasn't interested.

I am almost certain that I first became aware of hell through a Tom & Jerry cartoon.

event_horizon wrote:
qmark wrote:However, I must say, one can not be "indoctrinated" into being a Christian.

How's that?...when children are being dragged into church before they're in kindergarten...before they're even capable of rational thought, yes they are being indoctrinated. If that's not indoctrination then I don't know what is.

Again, what a bunch of hooey. I know my fair share of Catholics who, by your definition, were indoctrinated into the Catholic religion at an early age, but now wouldn't go near a church, any church. That also blows your theory out of the water.

I repeat, one can not be indoctrinated INTO BEING A CHRISTIAN. One can learn all the terminology, learn all the preceps, learn all the tennets of the faith, but that does not make one a Christian.
qmark

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts