The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Battle Forum

Public Shunning Of Rath Requested....

This is the Battle Forum. It was setup for those threads and conversations that get out of hand - and turn into attacks, name calling and childish behavior. Users head here to hash out their differences. Please be warned before entering...
Forum rules
This is the BATTLE FORUM. A WARNING UP FRONT: ANYTHING GOES HERE!

Expect language and attacks from other members here. This place was setup for those threads that turned to personal attacks, name calling, and other immature behavior.

This is an unmoderated board, except by the site Administrator. There are NO THREATS OF VIOLENCE, BLATANT RACISM, or other ILLEGAL ACTIVITY! Other than that, this is a battle field - so enter and read at your own risk.

Postby rath » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:00 am

Australia's first film studio

The Australian Salvation Army was certainly progressive and innovative in its early approach to spreading the Gospel; the Brass Band - the pop-music medium of the time - is a prime example.

However, it is in the area of multi-media presentations that The Salvation Army showed itself as most inventive.


LIMELIGHT: THE WORLD'S 1st FILM STUDIO

The Limelight Department was the Salvation Army’s pioneering film production and presentation unit in Australia. Between 1892 and 1909 it produced many productions, including 300 films and the major multimedia presentations Soldiers of the Cross and Heroes Of The Cross.
The unit also documented Australia’s Federation ceremonies in 1901.

Australia's first dedicated film studio was created by The Salvation Army at 69 Bourke Street, Melbourne, in a room that still stands preserved much as it was at the turn of the century.


By 1895 Perry, with his Limelight equipment, had visited nearly every Corps in Australasia, journeying some 46,500 km, presenting religious illuminated shows to some 522 astounded audiences.

Commandant Herbert Booth was appointed as Australasian Territorial Commander in 1897. Upon meeting Joseph Perry he saw the possibilities in an expanded Limelight Department. He enthusiastically authorised the purchase more equipment, including three gramophones, and importantly, a Cinematographe machine. This led to the establishment of Australia's first permanent film production unit and saw some astonishing pioneering achievements, including:

Australia's first film studio built at 69 Bourke Street, Melbourne, 1898.


First Australian narrative film on social work, entitled Social Salvation, 1898/99.


First narrative drama film presentation, consisting of an ingenious mix of moving film, glass-slides, oratory and music. Soldiers of the Cross premiered at the Melbourne Town Hall in September 1900.


First feature-length documentary film, Inauguration of the Australian Commonwealth, 1901.


First registered film production company, the Australasian Kinematographic Company, 1901.


First Australian history documentary, Under Southern Skies, 1902.


First bushranging drama, Bushranging in North Queensland, 1902.
"Soldiers of the Cross" - The World's First Dramatic Film

On September 13th, 1900 the world's first dramatic film was a key attraction in a pioneering multimedia production "Soldiers of the Cross" at the Melbourne Town Hall. The film was the latest in a series of developments by Australia's first film production company: the Limelight Department of The Salvation Army. They had produced prior to this a series of short movies about the social work of The Salvation Army.

Film historian Chris Long wrote, "It would be difficult to find an Australian film icon attracting more extravagant claims than Soldiers of the Cross. Described as 'Australia's first full-length film'... or even 'the world's first motion picture play'... its saga dominates many chronicles of early Australian cinema".

Soldiers of the Cross depicted the lives of the early Christians; it ran for over 2½ hours and comprises fifteen 90-second films and 200 slides, accompanied by oratory and music. It was an illustrated lecture rather than a "true" feature film.

Click here to re-live the story of the making of Soldiers of the Cross.
Filming Australia's Inauguration
The Inauguration of the Australian Commonwealth was the first Australian film to exceed the 90-second reel limitation. It was five times the length of any earlier Australian film and was the first Australian film to use simultaneous multiple-camera coverage; it was the most widely distributed Australian film of its time.

The 35-minute film was commissioned by the Government of New South Wales to record the Commonwealth Celebration Day, and the moment when federated Australia became a nation.

The Limelight Department's commercial company went on to produce other commercial films and also films for Salvation Army use, including Heroes of the Cross and The Scottish Covenanters, and built a new studio at Caulfield, Victoria.

When Herbert Booth was succeeded as Australasian Commander by Thomas McKie, able support for the Biorama Company continued from Headquarters. However, this support was not forthcoming when Commissioner James Hay succeeded as Territorial Commander 1909. He quickly closed down the Biorama Department because he felt there was "a weakness and lightness incompatible with true Salvationism."

With over 300 films to their credit, and with many 'firsts' in production and technique, The Salvation Army turned its back to this exciting medium for promulgating the Christian Gospel.

Soldiers of the Cross and other publications have forever disappeared; only glimpses of the early films and lantern slides remain.

http://www.abc.net.au/limelight/docs/lime/default.htm
Image
rath
 
Posts: 4345
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby qmark » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:09 am

rath wrote:See ..... Once again you have done, just what im talking about.

I post something that shows Somebody did something BEFORE THE USA, & you all go nuts & search for somethimg even older.

& in doing so you make my case for me.

A. ......

The world's first feature film was an Australian Film, .. , The Story of the Kelly Gang i1906.

& nothing will ever change that no matter what you say.


You said, "how Australia invented cinema". I'm not concerned with who's first, I'm concerned with ACCURACY. I gave you credit for The Kelly Gang. I was just looking to see if there was anything earlier, for the sake of ACCURACY. There was. There was also a short film called The Horse (I believe) from 1877 but I didn't include that.

As far as short films, "a short film anybody could make", yes, by today's standards, but back then it was a big deal, so it matters very much.

NO MATTER WHAT IT IS, IN THE INTEREST OF ACCURACY, I JUST WANT THE PROPER PERSON CREDITED, NO MATTER WHAT COUNTRY THEY COME FROM. And in that interest it is necessary to check the facts. If you think I am trying to one-up-you, you have serious issues.

Yes, the Americans were first on the moon, but it WAS THE RUSSIANS that were first in space. I have no problem admitting it was a Scottsman that discovered penicillin. However, you must, since you tried to give the credit to Howard Florey.

Here's how life works. One guy invents something, or discovers something, and then another guy comes along and improves upon it, making it better or taking it further.

Again, I believe anybody, and this includes you, that obsesses over their country having to be first in everything has serious mental issues.
qmark
 
Posts: 1063
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby at1with0 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:11 pm

Wow, someone is mistaken and that implies "serious mental issues," even if they cling to their mistaken ideas?
"it is easy to grow crazy"
User avatar
at1with0
 
Posts: 9182
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:55 pm
Location: the coproduct of the amalgam of all structures

Postby qmark » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:14 pm

at1with0 wrote:Wow, someone is mistaken and that implies "serious mental issues," even if they cling to their mistaken ideas?


NO. It's the obsessive behavior.
qmark
 
Posts: 1063
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby at1with0 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:06 pm

I wouldn't call obsessive behavior serious mental illness but, then again, I'm probably the wrong person to ask what "serious" means.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
User avatar
at1with0
 
Posts: 9182
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:55 pm
Location: the coproduct of the amalgam of all structures

Postby rath » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:06 am

qmark wrote:
at1with0 wrote:Wow, someone is mistaken and that implies "serious mental issues," even if they cling to their mistaken ideas?


NO. It's the obsessive behavior.


True that ....

Which part tho ........ All the lies or the propaganda, & miss information.
Image
rath
 
Posts: 4345
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby rath » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:21 pm

qmark wrote:You said, "how Australia invented cinema". I'm not concerned with who's first, I'm concerned with ACCURACY. I gave you credit for The Kelly Gang. I was just looking to see if there was anything earlier, for the sake of ACCURACY. There was. There was also a short film called The Horse (I believe) from 1877 but I didn't include that.

As far as short films, "a short film anybody could make", yes, by today's standards, but back then it was a big deal, so it matters very much.

NO MATTER WHAT IT IS, IN THE INTEREST OF ACCURACY, I JUST WANT THE PROPER PERSON CREDITED, NO MATTER WHAT COUNTRY THEY COME FROM. And in that interest it is necessary to check the facts. If you think I am trying to one-up-you, you have serious issues.

Yes, the Americans were first on the moon, but it WAS THE RUSSIANS that were first in space. I have no problem admitting it was a Scottsman that discovered penicillin. However, you must, since you tried to give the credit to Howard Florey.

Here's how life works. One guy invents something, or discovers something, and then another guy comes along and improves upon it, making it better or taking it further.

Again, I believe anybody, and this includes you, that obsesses over their country having to be first in everything has serious mental issues.



Your facts are so .... WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

Here's how life works. One guy invents something, or discovers something, and then another guy comes along and improves upon it, making it better or taking it further.


No ........ that is the biggest crock of shiit, i have ever heard.


Are you going to saying that if somebody invents something that has never ever ever been seen befor ......... & then another person comes along an (they claim ) improve it that the seconed person who improves the first persons invention can now claim the invention is their own.


What nonsens.


So you saying if i buy a blue car, & i think is would be better as a red car & i paint it red an in my eyes ........... thus, i think a red car is an improvment on a blue car then ERGO ......

I buy painting a blue car red ...... then i can claim it;s an improvment so ......... i guess i invented the car.

That is such an American take on the world.

The fact America thinks it can improve ANYTHING just blows my mind.

Another example ....... the Hamburger ......

The Hamburger cames from Germany, it was created in Hamburg ....... just coz the USA put Pineaple on it & (improved it) does not make it an American creating ...... does it now.



Moreover


I have no problem admitting it was a Scottsman that discovered penicillin. However, you must, since you tried to give the credit to Howard Florey.


I have no problem admitting it was a Scottsman that discovered penicillin. However, you must, since you tried to give the credit to Howard Florey.

Your wrong again ......


[quote=WIKIPEDIA"]Main article: History of penicillin
The discovery of penicillin is attributed to Scottish scientist and Nobel laureate Alexander Fleming in 1928.[12] He showed that, if Penicillium notatum was grown in the appropriate substrate, it would exude a substance with antibiotic properties, which he dubbed penicillin. This serendipitous observation began the modern era of antibiotic discovery. The development of penicillin for use as a medicine is attributed to the Australian Nobel laureate Howard Walter Florey together with the German Nobel laureate Ernst Chain and the English biochemist Norman Heatley.

However, several others reported the bacteriostatic effects of Penicillium earlier than Fleming. The use of bread with a blue mould (presumably penicillium) as a means of treating suppurating wounds was a staple of folk medicine in Europe since the Middle Ages. The first published reference appears in the publication of the Royal Society in 1875, by John Tyndall.[13] Ernest Duchesne documented it in an 1897 paper, which was not accepted by the Institut Pasteur because of his youth. In March 2000, doctors at the San Juan de Dios Hospital in San José, Costa Rica published the manuscripts of the Costa Rican scientist and medical doctor Clodomiro (Clorito) Picado Twight (1887–1944). They reported Picado's observations on the inhibitory actions of fungi of the genus Penicillium between 1915 and 1927. Picado reported his discovery to the Paris Academy of Sciences, yet did not patent it, even though his investigations started years before Fleming's. Joseph Lister was experimenting with penicillum in 1871 for his Aseptic surgery. He found that it weakened the microbes but then he dismissed the fungi.
[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penicillin


FAct is ..... Alexander Fleming, did not discover penicillin, he made an observation.

An observation hundreds of people had made before him goping bake some 1000 years to anciant Rome.

do you know where penicillin comes from .........

penicillium roqueforti, ........... Thats right.

cheese.

Image

Have you ever eaten roquefort cheese.

900 years ago the Romes where rapping & killing & they ( observed ) that their wounds would heal faster, after they ate BLUE VAIN CHEESE.

just like alexander fleming 900 years later they made an observation, by accident.

& he did little else.

Thats why .... penicillin, is called penicillin, after the Penicillium mould.

It's after the Penicillium mould that produced it.


However .........


Howard Florey, not only made observations ....... but he Invented & created Antibiotics ........
( for the first time EVER )

Alexander Fleming, did not creat Antibiotics ...... did he.

Howard Florey did.

When he created the world firts antibiotc, Penicillin.
Image
rath
 
Posts: 4345
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby rath » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:34 pm

qmark wrote:
rath wrote:See ..... Once again you have done, just what im talking about.

I post something that shows Somebody did something BEFORE THE USA, & you all go nuts & search for somethimg even older.

& in doing so you make my case for me.

A. ......

The world's first feature film was an Australian Film, .. , The Story of the Kelly Gang i1906.

& nothing will ever change that no matter what you say.


You said, "how Australia invented cinema". I'm not concerned with who's first, I'm concerned with ACCURACY. I gave you credit for The Kelly Gang. I was just looking to see if there was anything earlier, for the sake of ACCURACY. There was. There was also a short film called The Horse (I believe) from 1877 but I didn't include that.

As far as short films, "a short film anybody could make", yes, by today's standards, but back then it was a big deal, so it matters very much.



If your so interested in ACCURACY, why don't you get your facts right then.



The Horse was not a film,

Remember when you where a kid a you or somebody you know would draw stick figures on a peace of paper & then on another ect ect ...... & when you flicked the pages fast it look as if the image was moving.

That is not a movie ....... is it

Your 1877 film the horse ........ thats what they did .......

& that is not file ....

we where talking about the first film........

•1877 - the invention of the Praxinoscope by French inventor Charles Emile Reynaud - it was a 'projector' device with a mirrored drum that created the illusion of movement with picture strips, a refined version of the Zoetrope with mirrors at the center of the drum instead of slots; public demonstrations of the Praxinoscope were made by the early 1890s with screenings of 15 minute 'movies' at his Parisian Theatre Optique


•1879 - Thomas Alva Edison's first public exhibition of an efficient incandescent light bulb, later used for film projectors

Late 19th Century Inventions and Experiments: Muybridge, Marey, Le Prince and Eastman

Pioneering Britisher Eadweard Muybridge (1830-1904), an early photographer and inventor, was famous for his photographic loco-motion studies (of animals and humans) at the end of the 19th century (such as 1882's published "The Horse in Motion"). In the 1870s, Muybridge experimented with instantaneously recording the movements of a galloping horse, first at a Sacramento (California) race track. In June, 1878, he successfully conducted a 'chronophotography' experiment in Palo Alto (California) for his wealthy San Francisco benefactor, Leland Stanford, using a multiple series of cameras to record a horse's gallops - this conclusively proved that all four of the horse's feet were off the ground at the same time.

Muybridge's pictures, published widely in the late 1800s, were often cut into strips and used in a Praxinoscope, a descendant of the zoetrope device, invented by Charles Emile Reynaud in 1877. The Praxinoscope was the first 'movie machine' that could project a series of images onto a screen. Muybridge's stop-action series of photographs helped lead to his own 1879 invention of the Zoopraxiscope (or "zoogyroscope", also called the "wheel of life"), a primitive motion-picture projector machine that also recreated the illusion of movement (or animation) by projecting images - rapidly displayed in succession - onto a screen from photos printed on a rotating glass disc.





If you are looking for the person who invented film & thus all cinnama ....


The Franch did that ...

So you have a choise, either Australian or Franch.

Either way ....... Not American.
Image
rath
 
Posts: 4345
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby rath » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:37 pm

at1with0 wrote:Wow, someone is mistaken and that implies "serious mental issues," even if they cling to their mistaken ideas?


It's ok, they all do it ......... its just proof of weak minds thats all.


They cant prove somebody wrong .... or prove the USA invented, owns, controls, everything.

So they turn to insults.

Like i said, ...... proof of weak minds.
Image
rath
 
Posts: 4345
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby The_Joker » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:53 pm

American lies propaganda & thievery

The Great Escape ........ American lies propaganda & thievery.

Saving Private Ryan .......... American lies propaganda & thievery.

U-571 ........... American lies propaganda & thievery.

"The Thin Red Line ...... American lies propaganda & thievery.

Hogan's Heroes .......... American lies propaganda & thievery.

Band of Brothers ............ American lies propaganda & thievery.

The Pacific ...... American lies propaganda & thievery.

& lets not forget, the role the US military has played in the making of these propaganda films.

_________________


I respond to this part of a post you made in this thread:

The Great Escape: It actually happened. The movie depiction was accurate in the story of what happened the producers decided to make a few composite characters so the story could be told more easily. Although produced by American film makers it told the story of mainly British Airmen.

Saving Private Ryan was purely fiction. It was a good story though as for it being propaganda who the f**k cares!

U571: Never saw the movie so I won't comment.

The Thin Red Line: A good story based of what actually happened. the story was told from the American viewpoint. If you want the Australian or British viewpoint maybe you should make a movie about it. So stop whining.

Hogan's Heroes: Really? I can't believe you included this in your list. Everyone knows it was a comedy show to take the pis* out of the Crouts and to demonstrate the futility and stupidity of war. If you are going to mention Hogan's Heroes why didn't you include M*A*S*H for fu*k sake?

Band of Brothers and The Pacific: Both series depicted the American perspective of the conflict from the American viewpoint and from actual accounts of the men who were involved in the conflict.

I am as Australian as you are but fairdinkum mate, you need a chill pill and a good firm grip on yourself and reality.

FACT: The world is not perfect nor is America or any other country.

FACT: Things need changing in America (There is a revolution ocuring in America right now by peaceful means).

Americans are really getting behind the Republican Tea Party movement because they are pi*sed off and rightly so..at least they have the balls to do something other than whinge and moan..And if they can't get the changes they want by removing the Liberals and Progressives ( They called them Traitors in 1776) from office they will most likely do it by force by use of the Second Amendment.

FACT: Australia is far from perfect we need change in Australia just as much and I am not talking about a change of government I am talking about a revolution of the people against our OWN tyrannical government.

Maybe if you paid more attention you would know this..so stop you bitchin and moaning about how bad America is and look in your own back yard dipstick. Believe me we need a revolution in Australia just as much as America needs one.

But rath mate I am glad you are so on the ball about the big issues.

My sarcasm is a free service.

Woooooooohahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...
User avatar
The_Joker
 
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:22 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Battle Forum

  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 10 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 292 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:19 pm
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests