The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Psalm 46

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby at1with0 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:31 am

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... ersion=KJV

Selah
"Pause and listen"

During a Stargate Universe episode, this Psalm is read by a priest. It is numbered 46. It turns out that the protagonist, Dr. Rush, in the congregation, is having a semi-lucid vision as he interfaces with the ancient ship through a chair that connects him to its database. They have no control over the ship and he sits in the chair/interface to try to unlock the code which will give them control over Destiny (the name of the ship). In the vision, the number 46 arises numerous times. It turns out that it has to do with human genes as there are 46 chromosomes.

That insight, that the code's primer has to do with human genetics (the ancients who built the ship are ancestors of humans), leads to the protagonist eventually being able to search in the right way and crack Destiny's code.

In December of '10 I made a clip showing some of his semi-lucid vision/dream and I'm in the process of refining that clip now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itVVYAckzFY

I find this Psalm to be, tbh, very soothing. I have a couple of questions about it I thought those more knowledgeable of scripture would be able to answer.

What is meant by "God of Jacob"?

What about "Lord of hosts"?

"though the earth be removed," and other lines make me think of the process of dying. Is Psalm 46 a metaphor for death?

How should I view the chariot? Is it a mere conveyor of people or is it seen as a war machine exclusively?

What is the metaphorical significance of the river? (I'm thinking it means love.)
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby bionic » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:39 pm

no takers, yet, huh?
dang
i wa shoping at lest Orange Tom would..as I know he knows a-lot about that stuff

i was curious to see the meanings, too
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
bionic

Postby Halfabo » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:02 pm

at1with0 wrote:What is meant by "God of Jacob"?

The God of Jacob, is the God Jacob worshipped. Jacob worshipped the correct, and Only True Living God.

at1with0 wrote:What about "Lord of hosts"?

Hosts, meaning crowds of living things. The God of Jacob is the God, The Lord of all things in the universe.

at1with0 wrote:"though the earth be removed," and other lines make me think of the process of dying. Is Psalm 46 a metaphor for death?

Not a metaphor for dying. Even though the whole earth is destroyed and no longer exists, The Living God, The God of Jacob, is eternal and will always be.

at1with0 wrote:How should I view the chariot? Is it a mere conveyor of people or is it seen as a war machine exclusively?

In this instance it is considered only for war. The passage it is in is refering to a time in the future when God Himself will put an end to all war and all strife among men of the earth.

at1with0 wrote:What is the metaphorical significance of the river? (I'm thinking it means love.)

The river represents the Spirit of God. It flows from and through the City of God to give life and joy to all living things.
Halfabo

Postby orangetom1999 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:20 pm

The God of Jacob.

The line of Jesus Christ is through Abraham, Issac, and Jacob. You can see this in the lineage of Jesus Christ in several chapters of the new testament.

As a man..from Adam..continuing on ..somewhere you find Abraham...his son Issac..and then Issac's son Jacob...Abraham's grandson....and continuing on to Jesus Christ.

The God of Jacob is one manner in which it is described..from a genealogical standpoint.

The "Lord of Hosts"..is an Olde Testament way or manner of describing the God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob. The I am..of the Olde Testament. Jehovah is another word for God..The Lord of Hosts..and it can be spelled differently among different peoples.

Psalm 46 as are many of the Psalms are a praise to God..the God of Jacob..of Abraham and Issac.

In like manner to many of the Psalms and also other passages ..the fear of this world and death/calamity hold no sway to believers in the God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob. For they put their Faith in God and not the things of this world.

The "River" ..I am using a King James for Psalm 46:4... is representative of God's power/blessing/mercy on His People...His Way.
Notice in 46:3 the usage of troubled waters and then "Selah"
Then on to 46:4 and 46:5

The verses are speaking from the beginning of Psalm 46 of trouble and calamity ..even troubled waters and seas..

But by the time you get to 46:4 the waters are calmed..refuge...as in 46:1
and finally to 46:5..for His people..whom He Chose.

Here.

46:1 God [is] our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
46:2 Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
46:3 [Though] the waters thereof roar [and] be troubled, [though] the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.
46:4 [There is] a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy [place] of the tabernacles of the most High.
46:5 God [is] in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, [and that] right early.
46:6 The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted.
46:7 The LORD of hosts [is] with us; the God of Jacob [is] our refuge. Selah.
46:8 Come, behold the works of the LORD, what desolations he hath made in the earth.
46:9 He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire.
46:10 Be still, and know that I [am] God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.
46:11 The LORD of hosts [is] with us; the God of Jacob [is] our refuge. Selah.

At times when I read verses which confuse me ..I know to read the verses before and after them to get the context. Sometimes several verses before and after.

The word Selah..is a connective...often used in the Hebrew technique of connecting or rhyming thoughts ..not verses as is popular in the west.

Hope this helps some of you.
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby at1with0 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:51 am

Thanks.

Did Psalms have just one author? Who was the author or who were the authors?

So the river, could it represent the holy spirit?

It seems to me that Psalm 46 is a praise to God and also like Psalm 23 (half of 46 no less) is meant to comfort the reader. I recently had to make a short journey in pitch blackness to get home and Psalm 23 went through my mind briefly, not that mere words will magically protect me but they did soothe me.

I guess I'm wondering if 46 and 23 had the same author, in particular.

I'm interested in how God is referred to in different ways in Psalm 46. Lord of hosts, God of Jacob, and lastly it says I am God in 46:10. 46:10 does not say "I am the Lord of hosts" nor does it say "I Am the God of Jacob."

The different appellations for God seem to stress different aspects of God. Why at the end of 46, in 46:10, is it now just God?
at1with0

Postby bionic » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:07 pm

Halfabo wrote:
at1with0 wrote:What is meant by "God of Jacob"?

The God of Jacob, is the God Jacob worshipped. Jacob worshipped the correct, and Only True Living God.

at1with0 wrote:What about "Lord of hosts"?

Hosts, meaning crowds of living things. The God of Jacob is the God, The Lord of all things in the universe.

at1with0 wrote:"though the earth be removed," and other lines make me think of the process of dying. Is Psalm 46 a metaphor for death?

Not a metaphor for dying. Even though the whole earth is destroyed and no longer exists, The Living God, The God of Jacob, is eternal and will always be.

at1with0 wrote:How should I view the chariot? Is it a mere conveyor of people or is it seen as a war machine exclusively?

In this instance it is considered only for war. The passage it is in is refering to a time in the future when God Himself will put an end to all war and all strife among men of the earth.

at1with0 wrote:What is the metaphorical significance of the river? (I'm thinking it means love.)

The river represents the Spirit of God. It flows from and through the City of God to give life and joy to all living things.

well, well, well (as in, a never ending well of awesomeness)Halfabo..
GOOD on you!!
:thumbup:
Willie Wonka quotes..
Why? Are you having fun?
bionic

Postby bionic » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:09 pm

Thanks O.T.
I knew YOU KNEW!!
:thumbup:
Willie Wonka quotes..
Why? Are you having fun?
bionic

Postby bionic » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:14 pm

Psalm 23 went through my mind briefly, not that mere words will magically protect me but they did soothe me.

um..learn it..master it...make it rote..it WILL protect you..I know this from personal experience..it is my favorite Psalm (as it is for many who know it's power)

this is good advice, fyi
Willie Wonka quotes..
Why? Are you having fun?
bionic

Postby bionic » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:16 pm

I don;t care what relgion you are..or if you are an athiest..there might be a time inwhich some version of this psalm..it's message will save you in a time of great crisis..it saved me..so I KNOW it works..
http://www.rwf2000.com/23pslm.htm
Willie Wonka quotes..
Why? Are you having fun?
bionic

Postby at1with0 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:43 am

I find myself closest to Christianity than any other religion, probably because how I was raised.
My definition of Christian is someone who believes the apostle's creed which I don't in all.
Still, I found myself using Psalm23 to cope with a slightly scary event. I stopped myself before it was done, recognizing that me saying words in my head won't change a thing, reminding me of another set of words:

They come when the Spirit speaks
But your words disdainful
Words spawned by the cultureless beings
Disclaimed by the once attentive Gods
Disarmed, the power words are empty
Your way being left to the winds
Bitter is the wailing of the sheep
Even now the memories are dis(ease)
at1with0

Next

Return to Religion & Spirituality