The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

The "Off-Topic" Members Lounge

Chess

Feel like posting something completely unrelated to the message forums? Feel free! This forum is dedicated to have a place where members can sit, relax and just chat about anything!

Postby humphreys » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:28 am

Butcher wrote:
humphreys wrote:I haven't played in months, tbh. I hit a wall somewhere in the 1800s, got annoyed, and started doing other things.

1800 is about the rate where others act like you can perform miracles, but we still can't hang with the big boys.

That's true. For me the 1800s is where the game got a little less fun because it becomes a LOT about theory, learned openings, and memorization.

I'm not saying there's no room for great creative play, but if you really want to get over 1900 or 2000 you have to knuckle down and put in a awful lot of detailed study and that's where I couldn't push myself to the next level.

I also found that other players at that level were good enough that as soon as you make one error, you've had it, and that error might even be a simple inaccuracy in the opening, then you just get ground down for the rest of the match.

I don't think I had the patience and attention span needed to ever be 2000+, although I did get the odd win against some low 2000 players.
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby humphreys » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:34 am

Greeney, I play my Dad a lot at chess too, he's the one who introduced me to the game really as he used to be a good player at school.

I was quite impressed as where I had to read a ton of books and put in lots of time and effort, he was always as good as me without hardly practicing at all.

I have the better of him now though, but it did take a lot of work.

You should think about signing up to Red Hot Prawn with frrosted, especially if you like non-live chess where you get to take as long as you like over moves. If you do sign up let me know and we can arrange a game.

I only play one card game and that's Texas Holdem poker, I played that online a lot at one point too. Lots of family arguments have been had whilst playing poker against each other :D
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby at1with0 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:59 am

It'd be cool if we could get together and play.

My problem with chess is that I spend a lot of time making moves, a frustratingly long time.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby humphreys » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:08 am

Well, on Red Hot Pawn (just realized frrosted has me calling it Prawn now) you get usually 3 days to make a move if you want, or more if needed.

That long enough for ya?

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby at1with0 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:18 am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
at1with0

Postby Nesaie » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:12 pm

I'm not rated, but I do play chess. I usually win the first game by twirling my hair and asking how the horsey moves. :D Personally, I hate the guys who stare too much and don't talk. I play chess as I play pool. I drink, converse, and just like the interaction. Some people take it too seriously.

My favorite is Fisher random. :D That and drunken chess. :D

http://www.chessvariants.com/diffsetup.dir/fischer.html

Bobby eventually got bored with traditional chess. And though this version of chess wasn't invented by Bobby, it was rediscovered by him and made chess fun again for him.

It's a shame that he was kicked from this country for playing a chess game...how bloody stupid! No wonder he hated this government before he died!
Such a society would be dominated by an elite, unrestrained by traditional values. Soon it will be possible to assert almost continuous surveillance over every citizen... - Zbigniew Brezhinsky
Nesaie

Postby at1with0 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:28 pm

At this site you control the rating of the computer
http://www.chess.com/play/computer.html
I can beat beginner and easy, I dunno about higher than 800. :P
at1with0

Postby The_Joker » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:13 pm

I play but I am still considered a novice
Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason