The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

Wikipedia, Google, and Others Blackout In Opposition -

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby at1with0 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:45 pm

Wing-Zero wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/no-wiki-sopa-blackout-has-students-hitting-the-panic-button/2012/01/18/gIQAlS4Z8P_story.html

Students are bummed they can't use Wiki for important papers. Funny, I'm in college and I still take the extra time to use actual books from a library. Might just be me though.

For extra credit, I would offer students to write an essay about math.
Only a handful of people ever wrote anything and most of the time, there were huge chunks that were copynpaste jobs.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:04 pm

An interesting video someone linked on another board I frequent.

Postby Wing-Zero » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:16 pm

http://mashable.com/2012/01/20/sopa-is- ... ulls-bill/

SOPA gone for now, still need to worry about PIPA, although it's currently suspended from discussion at the next Senate meeting.
War is an extension of economics and diplomacy through other means.

Economics and diplomacy are methods of securing resources used by humans.

Securing resources is the one necessary behavior for all living things.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby at1with0 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:06 pm

Wing-Zero wrote: still need to worry about PIPA, although it's currently suspended from discussion at the next Senate meeting.

Maybe not??

http://www.chron.com/news/nation-world/ ... 655761.php

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., canceled a Tuesday vote on the Protect IP Act, or PIPA - which just a month ago had strong bipartisan support - when lawmakers in both parties withdrew support.

Key supporters, including Republican Sens. Chuck Grassley of Iowa and John Cornyn of Texas, asked Reid to delay consideration of the bill.

"Stealing content is theft, plain and simple, but concerns about the Internet and free speech necessitate a more thoughtful, deliberative process," Cornyn said.
at1with0

Postby Wing-Zero » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:39 pm

Well that's nice. Guess now we have to wait and see what they pull out of the top hat next.
War is an extension of economics and diplomacy through other means.

Economics and diplomacy are methods of securing resources used by humans.

Securing resources is the one necessary behavior for all living things.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby frrostedman » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:17 pm

It's just so ironic that it's the left that is pushing this -- when one of their claims to fame is artistic freedom; fighting for the people; pushing back against big corporations.

It is a matter of fact that as sites like megaupload.com are taken down, they will just move to a country that the laws can't touch, and operate from there. If we think hunting down and eliminating Al Qaeda is a next-to-impossible task, wait til the gov'ts try to eliminate software sharing websites.

Not only will they burn untold amounts of resources in vain, they will also get hacked over and over by an ever-growing group currently known as "anonymous" ... a group not to be taken lightly. Several sites including the Department of Justice, were knocked off line in retaliation:

Hacker group Anonymous is also getting involved. Upon hearing about the Megaupload case, they launched aggressive denial-of-service attacks on the Department of Justice website, as well as major copywrite holders like Motion Picture Association of America, the Recording Industry Association of America, and Universal Music. All of the sites were knocked offline. The attack was presumably a warning shot rooted in the SOPA debate.

link to random article
Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein
frrostedman

Postby at1with0 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:57 pm

I wonder if anyone I've met were members of Anonymous.
at1with0

Postby frrostedman » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:33 pm

at1with0 wrote:I wonder if anyone I've met were members of Anonymous.

Most of them are just "regular Joes with PCs" from all over the world, and their hacks can't be traced back to them.
Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein
frrostedman

Postby at1with0 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:42 pm

It's amazing how many people don't secure their wireless networks....
at1with0

Previous

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts