The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Six Cosmological Fallacies

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby at1with0 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:00 am

http://www.astronomy-links.net/cosmofallacies.htm

I've been skimming this this morning...

This is a science-related essay that mentions God a lot.

Excerpt:
Our indirect "image" of such truly alien material beyond our Big Bang envelope will always have very low resolution, but we have to take what we can get. Only a transcendent divinity "above it all" could see better. Nevertheless, this singular low-resolution achievement would place us finite humans higher up the ladder of sentient beings on Earth and elsewhere who are living "in the image of God."

Since this essay was first written in 2007 the advance of science has continued, and will continue. In September of 2008 scientists announced their discovery of the likely presence of dark matter beyond our visible universe. That either means there was a universe preceding our Big Bang universe, with the initial inflationary expansion of our Big Bang pushing outward pre-existing dark matter; or it could also mean that there are indeed other universes in the Universe beyond our own.

This recent data comes from the WMAP satellite. Basically, a gravitationally strong patch some twenty degrees in diameter has been detected toward the Centaurus and Vela constellations. Very distant galaxy clusters are moving toward it in ways that cannot otherwise be explained. This WMAP observation opens the door for future observations of other gravitationally strong patches, and even for the concept of a broader halo of matter somewhat more distant. I invite you to read a report in Astronomy magazine at this URL: http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=a&id=7423

Eventually, it could be demonstrated that so-called dark energy may primarily be distant energy/matter increasingly attracting our known universe, as what we know moves toward the boundaries of our observable universe. If this flow is so, then the vision of everything, even atomic cores, being totally ripped apart by phantom energy in a Big Rip some 80+ billion years hence is not true. Of course, our own universe may vanish as such in a sea of bubble universes. Its constituent elements should survive elsewhere, to be followed by new bubbles created by future big bangs. There would be no end to everything within an infinite singularity of chaos, merely a mixing of the soup over and over again. In this extremely long term view, the more things change, the more they remain the same.

Stargate Universe dealt with the Cosmic Microwave Background radiation; it was integrated into the plot.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby bionic » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:23 am

" a mixing of the soup over and over, again"
yep
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
bionic

Postby frrostedman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:29 am

One cosmological fallacy I know of is Maybelline's claim that their mascara is waterproof. I know first hand that it's not. :o

Oh yes I DID say that! snap!
Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein
frrostedman

Postby frrostedman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:31 am

Seriously though,

I like how the excerpt talks about resolution... I think of that all the time. I strong feel like our reality is holographic, even digital. It's just that the resolution we are seeing is so incredible, we can't see the jagged edges. I just have this hunch that if we were to take all that Hubble technology and look inward instead of outward, we might start seeing pixels!!!! :wtf:
Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein
frrostedman

Postby bionic » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:58 am

I agree..
about both, the mascacra, and the pixels
:thumbup:
Willie Wonka quotes..
Why? Are you having fun?
bionic

Postby at1with0 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:14 pm

Maybe we need to reexamine the assumption that reality is made of things. But it does appear plausible that reality has a certain structure. It may be made of blocks of structures, a structure of structures.

Why is this important?

Well, if God is omnipresent, then reality is a good candidate for what God is, given reality's omnipresence. IF we can learn more about reality then perhaps we can learn more about God.

The SGU clip mentions that the CMB radiation has structure when looked at with high enough resolution, something Destiny was capable of but current physics was not. It could be a message or it could be a sign of intelligence. I wonder if our scientists will discover order in the CMB radiation one day, making SGU not so much science fiction but science inspiration.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby bionic » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:13 am

I agree with that, too
:thumbup:
Willie Wonka quotes..
Why? Are you having fun?
bionic

Postby CodeBlackv2 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:56 pm

I think it's interesting that very often it's those who mix religion and science who say the most interesting things. Sure worked for the Gnostics who were the first to suggest that which we call dark matter and that it pre-existed the universe. I don't know how they knew but they knew, thousands of years ago. And you never hear much about them. Really amazing.

"How well it suits all men on the subject of chaos to say that it came from a kind of darkness."

Damn! How did they know that? Of all the people who ever lived they were the most ahead of their time.
CodeBlackv2

Postby bionic » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:10 am

well..yah know..gnostic..gnosis..knowledge
Willie Wonka quotes..
Why? Are you having fun?
bionic

Postby frrostedman » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:16 am

gnip gnop gnostic gnosis gnowledge

I'm sure you had one of these as a kid..

frrostedman

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts