The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

virus and computer problems

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby greeney2 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:47 am

Boy oh boy, did learn a lesson AGAIN! :lol: Christmas morning I got hit with something on the computer, and still do not know exactly what or how I got it. I was on email at the time, and it was a mess. I do know what ever I tried next, probably made it worse, and got stuck in a set of windows I thought was a trick, plus other windows poping up with warnings, blocking ports, you name it. Started getting error messages that John recognized when he saw them, as "your are screwed with that one" and I was in big trouble.

Yes, I stupidly let my anti virus program remain expired, and some of these things must have come via some of the email jokes I exchance with 2 buddies. Some of them have to be opened to view, big mistake according to my daughter. Long story short, my security program before that, also got blocked, said I had 29 trojans.

So I had to call none other than John himself to come bail me out, and he did last night. We could not find the origional HP disc to restore that exe. file missing, but he somehow figured that part out. Took him quite a while, and some things involved failed updates to windows, service package 2, its all greek to me. He gave me a suggestion, once that loaded taking an hour or more, to download a virus program. That took forever for the trial scan to look at everything. The free trial only will correct up to 100 items, after that you have to buy it, so that process took some time, but I had 960 more issues to fix, so I purchased it to complete cleaning up everything. Now I'm good for a year.

What a mess, and if I did not have John to figure this out, God only knows what taking it in would have cost. This is when people just buy new computers. Not only is he a genius with the website, but troublshooting these kind of problems and fixing them is second nature. He is amazing, and that part is all self taught, he just astounds me with his computer savvy.

Thanks John, now I can keep stiring up a hornets nest on the message board! :lol: :lol:
greeney2

Postby bionic » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:38 pm

we use Norton around here..it catches most stuff (I hope)
but the best hackers..well..yah know...they will hack

Glad to read you are up and running again
8-)
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
bionic

Postby frrostedman » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:19 pm

Yep, a bad enough virus can cost you a solid 4 to 6 hours to clean up.

I got away from Norton a long time ago when IT started acting exactly like a virus on my computer. Hogging my resources, refusing to let me take control, and then.. when I actually tried to kill it and replace it? It left remnants of itself all over my computer and simply refused to die.

I was using Trend Micro for awhile... had a yearly subscription on autopay (which I don't recall activating but oh well), and dumped them when about a year ago they doubled their price and sapped the money out of my account without notice.

Now I use something called VIPRE which I found online. I like it. It stays out of my way, does its job and it's reasonably priced.
"But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about Jesus being a great teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." C.S. Lewis
frrostedman

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts