The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Scientists say Turin Shroud is supernatural

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby zoltan2 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:48 am

Scientists say Turin Shroud is supernatural

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 79512.html
zoltan2

Postby orangetom1999 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:06 am

There is nothing supernatural about the Shroud of Turin. It has been carbon dated to the 1400/1500s.

While I don't go along with carbon dating for millions of years...carbon dating is somewhat accurate within the half life of Carbon 14.

Also...remember..whenever someone quotes scientists as "Experts" be sure to attempt to determine who is paying the bills...this is sometimes an important clue as to the results...particularly in archeology and paleontology.

But the Shroud of Turin is not what some claim it is.

The RCC has enough relics to fill a museum. Enough pieces of the olde rugged cross to build a battleship.

The only thing of which I am interested in the RCC is what is in the classified section of the Vatican Library.

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby bionic » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:24 am

still..it is rather intriguing

also, the comments below that article..as intriguing to read as the article, itself
huh?

thanks for sharing, Zoltan
8-)
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
bionic

Postby zoltan2 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:55 am

orangetom1999 wrote:There is nothing supernatural about the Shroud of Turin. It has been carbon dated to the 1400/1500s.

While I don't go along with carbon dating for millions of years...carbon dating is somewhat accurate within the half life of Carbon 14.

Also...remember..whenever someone quotes scientists as "Experts" be sure to attempt to determine who is paying the bills...this is sometimes an important clue as to the results...particularly in archeology and paleontology.

But the Shroud of Turin is not what some claim it is.

The RCC has enough relics to fill a museum. Enough pieces of the olde rugged cross to build a battleship.

The only thing of which I am interested in the RCC is what is in the classified section of the Vatican Library.

Thanks,
Orangetom

I suggest that you read the article.

Such technology, say researchers from the National Agency for New Technologies, Energy and Sustainable Economic Development (Enea), was far beyond the capability of medieval forgers, whom most experts have credited with making the famous relic.

"The results show that a short and intense burst of UV directional radiation can colour a linen cloth so as to reproduce many of the peculiar characteristics of the body image on the Shroud of Turin," they said.

And in case there was any doubt about the preternatural degree of energy needed to make such distinct marks, the Enea report spells it out: "This degree of power cannot be reproduced by any normal UV source built to date."

A statement by lead researcher, Dr Paolo Di Lazzaro, said: "If our results prompt a philosophical or theological debate, these conclusions we'll leave to the experts; to each person's own conscience," he said.

Luigi Garlaschelli, a professor of chemistry at Pavia University, told The Independent: "The implications are... that the image was formed by a burst of UV energy so intense it could only have been supernatural. But I don't think they've done anything of the sort.
zoltan2

Postby greeney2 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:50 am

I read the aritical and this jumped right out at me:

However, they only managed the effect by scorching equivalent linen material with high-intensity ultra violet lasers, undermining the arguments of other research, they say, which claims the Turin Shroud is a medieval hoax.

What jumps out is even science can not give all the answers, which Atheism relys on, as their reasons for believing or not believing. If science was so perfect and absolute, recreating this event would not have been such a problem, and they only came close using Lasers. Lasers were only discovered in our lifetimes. (Mine anyway :lol: ) Which raised the question how was this done even 500 years ago, if that is its true age according to carbon 14? Secondly, and most important, if science can not figure out just the shroud, they certainly can not figure out the Question of God exsisting or not.

If you are betting your soul, on science alone, good luck!
greeney2

Postby orangetom1999 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:20 pm

The image on the Shroud of Turin is not consistent with the description in any of the Gospels of how Jesus was wrapped and prepared for burial in the tomb of Joseph of Arimathea.

The key word here is "wrapped" not laid out on photo paper.

Nor is it consistent with the known information/information's about how the Hebrews prepared their dead for burial.

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby frrostedman » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:49 pm

Actually it is consistent.

Not trying to argue one way or the other as far as this shroud goes, but traditionally the Jews absolutely did cover the corpse with a cloth before wrapping it.

There is an extensive article about that which I have read, but I'm sure it's easily found using a google search.
Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein
frrostedman

Postby zoltan2 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:58 am

orangetom1999 wrote:The image on the Shroud of Turin is not consistent with the description in any of the Gospels of how Jesus was wrapped and prepared for burial in the tomb of Joseph of Arimathea.

The key word here is "wrapped" not laid out on photo paper.

Nor is it consistent with the known information/information's about how the Hebrews prepared their dead for burial.

Thanks,
Orangetom

46 So Joseph bought some linen cloth, took down the body, wrapped it in the linen, and placed it in a tomb cut out of rock. Then he rolled a stone against the entrance of the tomb.

- Mark 15:43-46
New International Version

6Then Simon Peter, who was behind him, arrived and went into the tomb. He saw the strips of linen lying there,

7as well as the burial cloth that had been around Jesus' head. The cloth was folded up by itself, separate from the linen.

- John 20:6-7 (NIV)

According to Noel Currier-Briggs:

The consensus of many biblical and shroud scholars is that there were three types of cloth used in the burial. There was the shroud (sindon), the sudarion (napkin) and strips of cloth used to bind the jaw closed and to tie the hands and feet together to avoid flopping when the body relaxed following rigor mortis.

Italian study claims Turin Shroud is Christ's authentic burial robe

http://theshroudofturin.blogspot.com/20 ... ud-is.html

The Shroud is not a fake"

http://vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/ho ... nta-10738/
zoltan2

Postby bionic » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:23 am

I personally, do NOT care about the what's, and the why's, and the who'se, and the when's, and such..
I just LIKE that science can't figure out how it was done.
That pleases me in some deep, esoteric way.
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
bionic

Postby Island_Girl » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:12 pm

I was in a discussion about this months ago
and someone said the Shroud of Turin
looked like her ex-husband. :o

Not meaning to be disrepectful. :)
Island_Girl

Next

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts