The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Tim Tebow's God

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby gudskepteacal » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:52 pm

This will probably surprise some people, but I felt the need to sound off on this particular issue. Many have probably seen or heard of the ongoing controversy about Tim Tebow, quarterback for the Denver Broncos, and what some see as overt and grandiose displays by him in reference to God and Jesus Christ. While scrolling through one of my fave news-of-the-day websites, theblaze dot com, I came across this piece about a liberal, radio talk-show host, Bill Press, who invoked the acronym S-T-F-U when alluding to Mr. Tebow and his onfield and off proselytization.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/lib-rad ... out-jesus/

Granted, I'm quite a ways from the action that Mr. Press proposed and I would never support anything that smacks of censorship, but I do feel that by constantly parading his Christian faith, especially during the game, Mr. Tebow somehow cheapens faith and what it means to be a believer. I cannot imagine a God who cares more about what goes on in a sporting event than the people going hungry and struggling every day around the world. Thoughts, anybody?
"History records that the money changers have used every form of abuse, intrigue, deceit, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and its issuance." - James Madison
gudskepteacal

Postby frrostedman » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:07 pm

I'm obviously biased but when I saw a segment on the NFL channel, where Tebow was mic'd up, I shed tears of joy as I watched him in action and listened to his words.

Everytime he got tackled, even when he got roughed up unnecessarily, he hopped up and congratulated the opposing team member and told him "good play." He is the real deal and if you peel the outside layer back, you see that he is simply doing what he thinks is right for him and his God. He is not proselytizing or evangelizing here. This is a personal choice.

I find his sportsmanship, kindness, and professionalism refreshing when the typical player is a dirty, no-good show off, making inappropriate, self-aggrandizing gestures after every single decent play they make.

In one part of the mic'd up segment, Tebow threw what would have been a TD pass to his WR. The ball went right through the receiver's hands and ended up preventing Denver from scoring what would have been a game changing, lead grabbing TD. Tebow--a rookie mind you, reacted by comforting and supporting the receiver privately, promising him that the good thing is, he would be catching the game-winning TD pass. A pretty bold prediction indeed. But at the end of the game, it's exactly what happened. Tebow threw him the game-winning TD pass. Game over.

Tebow is a breath of fresh air in a game overrun by arrogance and thuggery. I support him 110%.

Problem is, it will open the door to Muslim players and others doing the same in the name of their chosen God. If this happens, it will only be fair to allow it but if it gets totally out of control I assume the league will put an end to all of it.
"But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about Jesus being a great teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." C.S. Lewis
frrostedman

Postby orangetom1999 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:19 pm

I have to agree with the basic outline of what Frostedman states about the game....being overrun with thuggery and the lowest common denominator.

As to Bill Press...I have no idea who this person is nor what he reports on ..what section of news, information's, or commentary.

I am not a sports fan and do not watch sports with the exception of a good fishing program. Other than that I have no interest in such contact sports ..or even the Olympics. I also do not know any of those stories/details Frostedman relates about this particular football player as I have little interest in the game.

I do note that this particular football player is causing quite a controversy in the media...many who seem to be against him. ...and also Him.

I do however note about sports ...professional in particular ...that it is very important to the sport to have plastered all over the news media...about their sex lives..their drinking and drug use, marital problems, someone being beaten with golf clubs ..if I remember the incident correctly..or was it someone in their car being beaten with a golf club ??

All the sterling news fit to report about the gods and religion of sports.

Am I missing something here??...Oh...lets not forget steroids.

All the news about sports that is fit to print.

I think Bill Press or whoever this person is got to much education in public school and never got past it.

Now ..do I have the perspective correct here??? About what is valuable in the sports arena ..on and off the field???

Or does someone here have the cart before the horse??

I don't worship the gods of sports..no will I. Nor will I buy the products advertised.

But you know...it may be that a fellow like this will not be a good sales man for the sponsors...not enough bad guy in them to appeal to a broad spectrum of the public who would rather hear and read about steroids...drug use, rape, sex lives and other facets of these demigods.

I reckon I am just skeptic enough of the industry and it's sponsors not to be impressed with the game. Same thing applies to our media out here.

Apparently this particular football player is not Ishmaelite enough for this Bill Press individual. Or perhaps I should state that Bill Press is an Ishmaelite.

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby event_horizon » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:33 pm

gudskepteacal wrote:I cannot imagine a God who cares more about what goes on in a sporting event than the people going hungry and struggling every day around the world. Thoughts, anybody?

It appears that your "God" doesn't care one way or the other about anything at all.
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
event_horizon

Postby orangetom1999 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:53 am

event_horizon wrote:
It appears that your "God" doesn't care one way or the other about anything at all.

This doesn't even make good nonsense EV. For a person of logic and reason/rational...this is very very poor nonsense.

Atheist..

from

A- without

Theos-God

Without god...atheist...atheos.

And here you try to hold God accountable. That doesnt even make good nonsense.

This is what a public education does to people.

You have to believe He exists to make sucn a poor nonsensical statement...and try again in the poor nonsensical way you do to hold Him and Believers accountable.

Wow!!!

You need more practice EV. You like the OWS people need more public education.

Thanks to all for their posts,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby greeney2 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:36 am

God doesn't exist, except when its something bad, they have to say, then God can be real for those parts. :roll Thats the entire concept of the Imaginary God concept. :lol:
greeney2

Postby orangetom1999 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:48 am

greeney2 wrote:God doesn't exist, except when its something bad, they have to say, then God can be real for those parts. :roll Thats the entire concept of the Imaginary God concept. :lol:

Goodness me Greeny2.

You are describing a Talmudic method of operaton. Rules for getting around the rules. Very much like a politician.

And The Talmud has it's origins in religion...with a diety.

Hmmm...ironic..I think!!

Thanks for pointing that out.

Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby event_horizon » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:17 pm

greeney2 wrote:God doesn't exist, except when its something bad, they have to say, then God can be real for those parts. :roll Thats the entire concept of the Imaginary God concept. :lol:

What the heck has your "God" ever done that was good? :lol:
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
event_horizon

Postby bionic » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:28 pm

Tim Tebow actually comes across as a sincere, nice guy to me.
Some people hate on Chistians just to hate on them.
It's actually a form of bigotry.
“Whether you sniff it smoke it eat it or shove it up your ass the result is the same: addiction.”
― William S. Burroughs
(love&forgive yourself..and everyone else)
bionic

Postby gudskepteacal » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:33 pm

I won't disagree there is misery and hopelessness in the world for all to see, event, but also is there peace and happiness. God is love and without it things could and would seem much worse, imo. I'm trying to look with better eyes and see the beauty and goodness even though it be swirled by darkness and evil. :angel:

Maybe I was putting the 'cart before the horse' just a wee bit, orangetom. I won't deny there's hucksters, showoffs and miscreants aplenty in the game of football, but, again, do the numbers and the stats will show that activity to be the minority of what football actually is. I don't know what others find valuable by watching a football game, but, for me, it is all just simply about the contest of brain and brawn; like reading a good book or watching a good movie-entertainment, enjoyment.

I was mainly trying to make a statement about how players(of any sport) put significance on God at a sporting event; as in God somehow had a hand in the way it turned out. I do not believe it's so and, if God ever did dabble, it would probably be something insignificant for reasons none of us could ever comprehend.
"History records that the money changers have used every form of abuse, intrigue, deceit, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and its issuance." - James Madison
gudskepteacal

Next

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts