The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Questions that make you think...

What makes some leftovers taste better

In this forum, questions are asked which are really tough to answer. Some philosophical, some regarding morality and many others. Have fun, and post your own personal tough questions!

Postby greeney2 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:32 pm

Ever have leftovers that are even better the next day warmed up? Why is that? Some dishes are really fantastic when they are first done, but 24 hours later, they are even better. It isn't like they are undercooked, or not completely cooked, they were cooked just right to begin with. Masterpieces right off the stove.

What is the physical interaction of flavor, in certain things that get better overnight in the refrigerator. Yet nobody thinks to make it the day before, and leave it until next day to eat, when it better. A few things Mrs. G2 makes are like this. When she makes Paella, it just gets more flavorful next day. She also makes a califlower pasta dish, that the next day its even better tasting. I always thought the flavor was just a product of heat and cooking on the stove, but time seems to be a big factor and its not related to heat, since it occurs in the refrigerator.

Why does flavors in a cassarole travel through a dish, and become more flavorful. With her Paella, you have rice, chicken, shrimp, fish, lots of garlic, saffron, other vegtables, so the flavor all migrate into the rice overnight. Usually its enough for 2-3 nights, and the 3rd night is even better yet. You would think, once it leaves the stove, its cooked and done, the cooking may stop, but the flavoring continues even at refrigerator temperature.

Any theories, or anything you make like this? I'm sure we all have stories. The other thread someone mentioned leftover Pizza, and italian food, next day pizza is great IMHO.
greeney2

Postby bionic » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:44 am

the spices and flavors have a chance to really permeate the meal and to intereact with each over, I think
like when you leave a tea bag in hot water for longer..it permeates more..similar to that

I love leftovers when it comes to casseroles, rice dishes, pasta, stews..
yeah baby!!
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
bionic

Postby greeney2 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:35 am

Funny thing is not all leftovers will fall into this senerio. Some things are just horrible it you try it, like warming up a big mac or something. It definatly is common in your cassoroles dishes, multi ingredient things like mrs. G2's Paella, and most of the Pasta dishes. Couldn't think of the right words Bionic, but you got it the flavors "permeate" into the other things. Funny that other things baked, like a pie,cake or cookies do not change in flavor, they just stay the same from the oven.

I guess the factor involved is time. Makes me wonder how the flavor really travels, and what chemical changes occur to the rice or pasta, or even the meats? Obviously the juices are how the flavor flows, but in the case of the paella, would think the juices would make the rice glucky overnight, but they don't.

I know chemically, I can't figure it out, but I know its going to taste better next night.

My wifes Father was the kind of person who would never ever eat leftovers. I think he changed a bit when he got older, but when he was younger, no way would be eat them. He expected something brand new every dinner. He doesn't know what he was missing. The thought of a doggy bag was just undignified for him. Not me thats for sure! :lol:
greeney2

Postby bionic » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:38 am

this conversation is deeper than it seems, on the surface, me thinks
mustard seeds and soil come to mind
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
bionic

Return to Questions that make you think...

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts