The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

Remember our Veteran's today!

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby greeney2 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:31 am

Happy Veteran's Day to all those who served in our armed forces in our history. Today is for those who signed on the dotted line, stepped up and served the United States of America, in one of our branches of services. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corp, or Coast Guard has protected and defended our freedoms since 1776.

When I was young I never thought much about Veteran's Day or Memorial Day, but I know my Dad always did, and now understand why he did. Dad served in the Navy during WW2, and they used Dad in a special way, since he was a Areonautical Engineer. Dad served stateside, stationed in Corpis Christi, Texas, doing projects to better improve the aircraft used in the war. Dad was a engineer for Bell Aircraft in the early 40's having worked secretly on the first American Jet aircraft the "Aerocomet", as well as the "Aerocobra" fighter which Bell made thousands of. During the War, Dad did testing to fighters and bombers, including the B17. Mom was home with my sister and grandparents like others while the war was being faught. Rationing, drives, airraids, and civil defence drills, it was a wartime enviorment. Dad served his country, the war ended, and he returned to civilian life, and to a career in aviation with Bell Aircraft. Dad had a very close relation with the military in his career, spending much of his time with Wright Patterson, top generals, and test pilots for the air force.

The older I get, the more I appreciate and think about Veteran's Day, and Memorial Day. I reciently had a old high school friend contact me, finding me by contacting John. He faught in Viet Nam, 2 tours, highly decorated, including 2 purple Hearts. My friend has had a long battle with throat cancer, his voice affected, we are no longer those 101st airborne paratroopers or Marines we once were. Greg saw heavy duty action in the 101st, while I was a reservist, and was lucky to have been spared from what he went through. Greg reminded me talking of returning home on leave, to being hated and spit on, and wearing uniforms was not really advised. Our vets came home shot up, or dead, only to be greeted with distain. It was shameful.

The difference in mindset from my Dad's generation, to the Viet Nam generation was a stark difference, and thankfully today we have not taken public opinion of these wars out on those who wear the uniforms, like in the 60's.

If you seen anyone in uniform today, thank them. If you know anyone who ever served, thank them. They deserve our respect, and gratitude. We live in a era of no draft, and I have said this many times, to appreciate and honor those who have enlisted. One heartbeat and a signature is all it would take to return this country to drafting again. Not having to have that obligation is a luxury, the least we can do is honor them today.

Dads reflexions all this time, are what mine are on these days now. We are so thankful for a long full life, to have had a family, enjoyed the good things in life as free Americans, thanks to those who have worn a uniform.
greeney2

Postby gudskepteacal » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:17 pm

YES , Thanks is given to all men and women who gave of themselves in the name of America. Thank You
"History records that the money changers have used every form of abuse, intrigue, deceit, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and its issuance." - James Madison
gudskepteacal

Postby bionic » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:08 am

God bless our vets.
“Whether you sniff it smoke it eat it or shove it up your ass the result is the same: addiction.”
― William S. Burroughs
(love&forgive yourself..and everyone else)
bionic

Postby greeney2 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:10 am

Story on our evening news about a vet about to loose his home to forclosure, due to his VA checks of $2700 per month being months and months behind. Consequently he is about $13,000 down to the bank. VA tells him they are working on it. Hard for me to understand how the country bailed out these banks for billions of dollars, and they can't figure out that this person is stuck in a government glitch. Worst part is it should be a simple thing for someone high up the ladder to make one phone call, and tell those people in the VA to have those checks figured out by the end of business on Monday.

Did I mention that this Veteran was recieving disabilty from the VA for injury saving the lives of his buddies during a suicide bombing, that took a major part of his face apart. Shoved his lower jaw in an inch, requiring major reconstructive surgury to his mouth, nose, lips, and surrounding area, and a very long rehab. They did a fantastic job on his face, but he is left with lifelong disability, but his checks are all held up now for months. Something seriously wrong with this, and not getting it fixed, or the bank not bending just a little, cut this Hero some slack. Its shameful.
greeney2

Postby SWRanger » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:22 pm

I always honour our Veterans and always respect them ! 8-)
SWRanger

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts