The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

What is gods name?

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby Lashmar » Wed May 13, 2009 1:11 am

I just want to know because “god” must have had a mother and in turn he must have a name yes.

I don't know of any book that mentions gods name or anything about him other than he is god. :?

I'm just intrested. :?

(don't bother Saturos, we know you’re the real god. ;) :lol: )
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby Dark-Samus » Wed May 13, 2009 1:13 am

Then why bother with this topic? :lol: :twisted: :lol:
Truth doesn´t control you, you control it...
Dark-Samus

Postby Lashmar » Wed May 13, 2009 1:16 am

I am really interested in this. I want to know if anywhere or if any religion (apart from pagans) has a name for god. Fred of something.
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby fortwynt » Wed May 13, 2009 1:28 am

I don't remember specifics from other religions, though there have been many different names for "God"...I know the bible says at various places that God says "My name is "the Lord"....or rather whatever "the Lord" may have been in Hebrew I assume....the bible mainly refers to God by many different names depending on a specific activity or role he may be playing at a particular time with regards to mankind.

in judaism i believe, the name of God is a secret, not to be uttered, which is why when they type God they type G_d, which i think is silly because "god" is not gods name but a title, which is why saying "God Damn" is not what God had in mind when he said thou shalt not take the Lord thy Gods name in vain.....again, God is not a name but a title....one does not think ones doctor is really named "Dr."...see?
fortwynt

Postby Lashmar » Wed May 13, 2009 1:36 am

fortwynt wrote:in judaism i believe, the name of God is a secret, not to be uttered, which is why when they type God they type G_d, which i think is silly because "god" is not gods name but a title, which is why saying "God Damn" is not what God had in mind when he said thou shalt not take the Lord thy Gods name in vain.....again, God is not a name but a title....one does not think ones doctor is really named "Dr."...see?

Never thought of it like that. :? well said. :D
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby Dark-Samus » Wed May 13, 2009 1:48 am

in judaism i believe, the name of God is a secret

Uhmmm Isn´t his name Jehova or whatever...
Truth doesn´t control you, you control it...
Dark-Samus

Postby fortwynt » Wed May 13, 2009 1:59 am

Well, but remember, names of God are typically meant as a description of a particular "quality" of God, not his "true" name.

for instance....the bible many times refers to Jehovah (thought to be a variant of YHWH combined with Adonai) as "Jehovah-jireh":

from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah-jireh

According to the Book of Genesis, Jehovah-jireh (Jehovah/YHVH will see) was the place in the land of Moriah where God told Abraham to offer his son Isaac as a burnt offering. Abraham named this place after Jehovah provided a ram to sacrifice in place of Isaac. Genesis 22:14[1]

The contemporary English Translation of the Greek Septuagint Bible contains, "The Lord hath seen."[2] Some translations render it "the LORD will provide", with "LORD" taking the place of the Tetragrammaton. One Latin version of the Bible rendered the name in Latin as Dominus videt ("The Lord sees")
fortwynt

Postby Illuminati » Wed May 13, 2009 4:58 am

No respected Biblical Authority recognizes the name "Jehovah" mainly because of what fortwynt stated, as this was a Masoretic textual combination of the name YHVH, Adonai and Eloi/him.

The Jehovah's witness uses the name Jehovah simply because their founder used the Masoretic text as his main source for his attempt at translating his own denomination's Bible.
Illuminati

Postby Questioner101 » Wed May 13, 2009 2:39 pm

Thousands of names...of gods/goddesses.
http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/names/gods.htm
"I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request."
Questioner101

Postby greeney2 » Wed May 13, 2009 5:29 pm

The first use of the Lord Gods name of "Jehovah" I found, was prior to Abraham, in the story of Noah which is also in Genisis.
greeney2

Next

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts