The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

Product Review

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby Cole_Trickle » Mon May 23, 2011 6:08 am

blackvault wrote:
greeney2 wrote:... I think even you would enjoy it very much.

He's an instigator, isn't he, Cole? :whistle:

HE-HE...Yeah we all shine from time to time.....I'm a bit guilty myself at times.

Love the coast Greeney----either Glock or Glockless... :P

Dang Wing... that's one fine pistol--lot's of people I know swear by em---obviously you don't want that one to get away, But You might be surprised at what some old sage dealer would pay you for that piece. Ever go to any gun shows?

I had a Sig picked out but just couldn't justify the extra 300-400 bucks. I'm thinking it was near 900-950 range I got it written down here somewhere. P-220 carry or 229, hell I can't recall of hand---anyway I've been to three separate shops lately, just kicking around a bit and all three dealers were packing 1911's. Must be a .45 thing. :lol:

Just a great proven weapon by all accounts.

be well,

Thks,

Cole
Cole_Trickle

Postby Wing-Zero » Mon May 23, 2011 11:49 am

Cole_Trickle wrote:Dang Wing... that's one fine pistol--lot's of people I know swear by em---obviously you don't want that one to get away, But You might be surprised at what some old sage dealer would pay you for that piece. Ever go to any gun shows?

Oh yeah, lots of a gun shows. Actually bought my Kar 98k and M1 Garand from one. Planning to buy a lot more stuff when I get the chance to add to my collection fund.

Actually, my grandfather had an old 1873 Winchester Model 1 stashed away in some storage place he owned for a LONG time. Seriously, when we found it and took it to a gunsmith to clean up, a spider had literally died in the barrel. :lol: Almost everything on it worked great for being 97% original though, and we only ended up paying $150 for it to get it fixed up. The kicker is that the serial number was either in the low thousands or the high hundreds, depending on whether a ding in the mag plate was a '1' or just a scratch. Anyways, guy next to us who was getting it fixed offered up five grand for it right then and there. Turned it down because A) it was my granddad's, and B) because I thought the dude was full of crap. The gunsmith we go to tells me that it's worth around $3-5k though, so oh well.
War is an extension of economics and diplomacy through other means.

Economics and diplomacy are methods of securing resources used by humans.

Securing resources is the one necessary behavior for all living things.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby Cole_Trickle » Tue May 24, 2011 4:41 am

Awesome, absolutely awesome. I think ( not sure ) I'd have to consider letting go for 5-k, but understand the bond---have to do so real soul searching over that one.

Anyway a quick story, typical ( in todays world ) kind of neighbor I have. An old man used to live next door to me, well years back 10 about, he passes away one morning while sitting in his recliner---the guy evidently was a quiet gun collector---he had dozens of high end pieces.

They all went to his son, who maintained the house next door as well as his own until he came down with Cancer. About 2 years ago he dies............his family consisted of two daughters and an ex-wife who live up North near to Indy. Now..............my neighbor was close friends with the son who got Cancer and died, had a key to his Home on the West-side, used to go over and help mow the lawn--crap like that....Guess what this clown ( evidently did ) the day the son died or very shortly thereafter.............not kidding.

Anyway I guess the Daughters new about the gun collection because one day I come home and THREE County officers are parked in my neighbors drive way, two were obviously conducting an interview, the third was just watching.

I'm pretty sure the guy took the guns, and I'm equally sure the Daughters had their attorney have LE question the guy over it. It probably went something like this:

" Well he said that his Daughters would have no use for them so I was welcome to them " " I mean he did give me a key and all "

Pretty sad!!

Anyway about two weeks after the son passed....this neighbor clown would shoot during the afternoon...did this for about a month.....different gun every time....mostly long guns, one his WWII Issue M1A--Worth God only knows..............The old man did show me that one once...........used but in near mint condition.............he was an engineer by trade so he kept them in perfect shape.

He had an old .44 cal lever action that he'd bought new and never fired--------------worth whatever someone is willing to pay..........but anyway just goes to show you that the " ONLY THING YOU REALLY KNOW " IS THAT " YOU NEVER REALLY KNOW "

Too bad they didn't bring charges............honestly I think it was because they couldn't prove that the son didn't tell the neighbor he could have the guns. :twisted:

Cole
Cole_Trickle

Postby SmokinJoe » Tue May 24, 2011 7:12 pm

I like the Raging Bull (Taurus). When I lived in Alaska, the guys up there all carried 44's when going fishing. We would run into bears often while fishing.

They come down to the river and would go fishing just like the rest of us..lol It was pretty cool to see a bear a couple hundred yards away fishing.

Anyway, according to Alaskan guides and others, if out in the wild, you should carry a 44, a machete and pepper spray. Believe it or not, many guides were under the opinion that the pepper spray would work better.

They would tell me that you could shoot a bear that was running towards you, and it could still travel a pretty good distance, and kill you before your shot would kill it. The pepper spray was for that scenario (obviously the bears had to get close).

We saw bears often, along with other wildlife, but never once did we even have to go for our weapons. They pretty much stayed in their area, and we stayed away from them. :D
Dawkins thinks belief in God is an excuse to evade thinking in the scientific world. Sadly, he is ignorant to the list of christian scientists who have contributed & founded many of the sciences he himself believes in. How ironic.
SmokinJoe

Postby Wing-Zero » Tue May 24, 2011 7:37 pm

SmokinJoe wrote:They would tell me that you could shoot a bear that was running towards you, and it could still travel a pretty good distance, and kill you before your shot would kill it. The pepper spray was for that scenario (obviously the bears had to get close).

There are definitely horror stories around that involve someone trying to aim for the head when a bear is coming at them. Besides the fact that a bear can close distance pretty quick, it's also stupid because their skull is thick enough to actually stop most rifle rounds. There's a couple tales floating around of people emptying five shots of .30-06 and the critter was still powering through.

A lighter story, I was in Big Bear, California with my mom and dad when I was around 9 (so 1999), and I had a bad dream one night and got up. It was around 6am and the room I was in overlooked the dirt road that led up to the cabin we were borrowing from some friends of my mom. To my surprise, a bear just came waltzin' down the road pokin' around the trash cans everyone had left out. Couple feet behind it was a coyote that was just travelin' along. The bear would knock the cans down, get what it wanted, then moved on and let the coyote get to it.

Couple of best buddies.
War is an extension of economics and diplomacy through other means.

Economics and diplomacy are methods of securing resources used by humans.

Securing resources is the one necessary behavior for all living things.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby Cole_Trickle » Wed May 25, 2011 5:27 am

Bears are cool!!!

Cole
Cole_Trickle

Postby Cole_Trickle » Fri May 27, 2011 11:14 am

Need some help folks:

I'm a Stihl man, always have been. I guess it's because the stuff works and has never given me any issues whatsoever. Now I've a young man pushing an ECHO Chainsaw on me, 5 year warranty etc. Only to me the freaking bar is paper thin, even on the 680 and the 8 series....... Thin bar = thin kerf= possible hangup problem when cutting out loads or pressure points in blow downs.

Can anyone advise-----the price difference ( only if the ECHO ) Preforms up to snuff is the only reason I'm asking.

ECHO 8 Series= $ 829
Stihl comparable 6 series $ 1,000-1,200.

The kicker is the CC's-----ECHO's 8 series is 80 cc.

Stihl's 441 mag is same price yet only 70 cc.

Not pissing over dollars, but if I can save 200-300 bucks and get a superior powered saw in the process-------------why not !!!

Thks,

Cole
Cole_Trickle

Postby greeney2 » Fri May 27, 2011 3:37 pm

Wing, we aren;t in too much danger in California from Bears. We have seen a few in camps in Sequoia, and there have been local sitings in LA vicinity near foothills. They are a totally different kind of Bear than in Alaska. Ours are Black bears, and a big one might get to 500 pounds, but most are probable much lighter. They are smart and learn to recognize ice chests, know how to bend a door frame to get into a car, and know whats in a back pack. We learned never never never, take food into your tents, take all the precautions. Grizzy bears have been extinct in California since the 1920's, but that what is up in Alaska, and some will easily go over 1000 pounds. You can not outrun any bear, in California bang your pots and pans togather and they usually take off. Jack Hanna last summer had a run in with a grizzly in Montana, and thwarted it off with Pepper spray. That really make more sence than trying to shoot it. It instantly will sting his nose and eyes, and instantly his attention is now one that. Shooting him with a 44, probalby will just piss him off, for enough time to make mince meat out of you, before he drops. How many times have you seen a high power rifle hit big game only for them to keep running and than drop.

One the subject of chain saws Cole, I'm no expert on them, but seem like all the old brands of tools we used most of our lives, just are not what they use to be. I'm not such a diehard brand guy anymore, and open to trying something else. One the other side of that coin is we went through this with Vaccum cleaners, and now all the new stuff is plastic garbage. We found a Kirby rebuild program, and sent our anchient Kirby from 1975 back to Kirby, and they totally rebuilt it. They were built to last in 1975, and the rebuild program to original owners is the best deal. $49 plus a few parts, they completly replaced everything, polished the aluminum, all new attachments, unbelievable deal. Total with shipping both ways, was only around $150. Brand new Kirbys are a bout $1800 now. Many major brands have factory rebuild programs that are not well known. Might consider doing that if its available for your old chainsaws.
greeney2

Postby Cole_Trickle » Tue May 31, 2011 4:33 am

After some detailed research, it's the Stihl hands down. I knew there was something not quite right about those bars ECHO uses. Anyway very glad to verify my gut feeling---------

Greeney........cool about that Kirby.............I've never had anything reworked, I might need to look into something like that one day soon. Thks.

Cole
Cole_Trickle

Previous

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts