The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

The War on Terrorism & Homeland Security

Iraq, Afganistan.. coming soon... Pakistan?

Discuss the War on Terrorism, Homeland Security, Iraq, Afghanistan, North Korea and other global terrorist concerns.

Postby capricorn » Sun May 08, 2011 5:17 pm

Last week, CIA Director Leon Panetta -- nominated by Obama to succeed Robert Gates as defense secretary -- told House members during a closed-door briefing that Pakistan was "either involved or incompetent," according to two sources in attendance.

"We'll clearly be working with (Pakistani authorities) to understand how we got to this point," Donilon said. He stressed, however, that "more terrorists and extremists have been captured or killed (in Pakistan) than any other place in the world."

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/05/08/ ... tml?hpt=T1

What a crap storm, now we have to worry about Nukes.
"a free society depends on a virtuous and moral people."
capricorn

Postby greeney2 » Sun May 08, 2011 11:44 pm

Hells Bells, I just looked at your bio, and you are from Buffalo??? Is that true you are really from Buffalo? Where in relation to Kenmore?
greeney2

Postby capricorn » Mon May 09, 2011 5:48 am

Yes sir. Not far at all, u from the area?
capricorn

Postby greeney2 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:43 am

I was born and raised in Buffalo, and lived in Kenmore as a kid. I havn't seen Buffalo since I was very young, 13 years old actually. Born at Millard Filmore Hospital. We lived on Deumaunt Terrace, just down the steet from a school that was on Kenmore Ave. Englewood Ave. was the other end of our street. I went to Lindberg elementry, and Kenmore jr. High, sister went to them also and Kenmore Sr. High. Dad worked for what use to the the Bell Aircraft Niagara Falls plant, from the early 40's though 1960. He was a aeronautical engineer , worked on the areocomet, our first jet in the USA during WW2, the X-1, X-2,X-5, Rascal missile, and the X-22.

Capricorn, you are too young, but I remember the falls long before it could be shut off, and if boats broke down on the side of the river, you were going over the falls. I recall many of the stunts to go over the falls in barrels, many are displayed at the museum near the grand rapids if I remember.

I had a coworker from Tonawanda who went over to my old home on a visit to his brother, took pictures of my entire block, and my old schools about 15 years ago. I had the family album out, comparing pictures, and counting the bricks on the chimney. The block was almost unchanged, and things like the only hedges on the block, my Dad planted in about 1950, were still bordering out house. My Dad built a big portion of our home, a major addition, which I remember him doing as a kid, so seeing those pictures of the old home were very cool. We moved out west, due to Bell A/C having hard times in 1960, so have not returen since.

The Movie Niagara, with Marilyn Monrow, really captured the era of time I grew up with in Buffalo. Seeing that movie just reminds me of that age for me, where we would goto the falls with visiting relatives, and the looks and sounds were of that era for me. I've herd from several EBAY contacts, the area is not at all like it used to be. Very sad for me to imagine it.

A movie with Ben Gazara called Buffalo 66 was filmed there, and I'm about 99% sure a scene was filmed on Wilton Place with that school (St Something) was in the background. When I saw that scene in the movie (which was a horrible movie, I just wanted to look at Buffalo) it was like a photograph of my childhood flashing and instant recognition of something I had seen before. We would hop over their fence everday, and play ball in thier field.

How far are you from where I grew up? I have many fond memories of Buffalo, growing up in the snow, which we don;t have in sunny California, except in local mountians. I'm sure not Buffalo is not the place I remember, now over 50 years ago. You sure wish you could turn the clock back sometimes, the older we get. You are about my sons age Capricorn.

Big light bulb just went on in my head. Another poster has said her husband was from Buffalo, are you that person? Anyway, glad if we can find something to talk about that doesn't generate any hard feelings. Love to talk Buffalo if you do. G2 ;)
greeney2

Postby capricorn » Mon May 09, 2011 12:17 pm

Wow, that is too funny.

Everywhere you are talking about it not too far from me. I could just imagine what Buffalo was like 50 years ago. Buffalo has so much beautiful architecture but they demolished half of it. I love this city though and there is still a great amount of architecture out here.

So you were born at millard fillmore, that is not far from where I live now. Funny because they are privatizing healthcare across the state. I work at the Erie Country Medical Center and we are being forced into a marriage with 5 other hospitals. Unfortunately, Millard Fillmore is on the chopping block and I the plan is to start closing it down within the next year or two.

A have a couple family members that live in Kenmore and its literally a 10 minute drive from my house. If you ever want me to snap a couple more photos of your old stomping ground again let me know. I can post em up here.

No, my wife isnt in this forum, she is a little less of a conspiracy therorist than I am. :)
capricorn

Postby greeney2 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:57 am

Yes, its been a very long time since I saw Buffalo, but when I've seen movies like I talked about, it really did jog my memory. I was so sure that scene in Buffalo 66 was filmed at the end of my block. As a kid we all went to the Colvin theater every sat. A ebay contact told me it had been torn down. He was able to rescue some sort of light fixutre out of it, the night before it was torn down. It may be before your time, but I found it listed in one of the famous historic theater websites. It was at Colvin and Kenmore Ave. I'm sure much of the older things that were probably old when I was a kid, had to make way for newer things. Winter in Buffalo, probably takes its toll on things too.

Life in California was a culture shock to my sister and I. In Buffalo, we knew eveyone on the block, adn if someone new moved in, the welcome wagon of all the neighbors introduced themselves. Nobody had fenced yards, houses were small and close togather. When we got to Los Angeles, we could not believe it. OUr new home was huge, 1/2 Arce, sprawing with 6 orange trees, totally fenced and secluded, and nobody knows anybody on the block. 2 movie stars lived on our block,and you would see them all over the place. We were shocked how kids dressed in school in those days. In the east boys worn slacks and a collared shirt. Out west, you were allowed to just wear tee-shirts and bluejeans. Surfer shirts and levees became the thing. 365 days a years was summer cloths, we do not have snow. We have it, but its on the mountain areas, and snow in California means fun. Snow in the east is fun for kids, but living in it and driving in it is different. We have it all in sunny california. From where I live, I can be at the ocean in 30 minutes, an hours or so do drive up to local mountians, and you could ski, and about the same time drive out to the desert and go off road riding. WE live in the middle of the city, but our rural zoning we can have horses, chickens, just about anything but Hogs. All our horses are gone now, but it was the lifesytle of the San Fernando Valley part of Los Angeles. We are about 45 minutes from Disneyland, our daughter took our granddaughter there Monday with annual passes they bought. My wife also went through the same culture shock with her sisters, coming from New Jersey. They quickly shed their accents being teased to no end, and quickly found out the dress and clothing thing was not like New Jersey.

Thats pretty neat you live so close to my childhood memories. Just goes to show us all, we do not really know each other posting with ficticious names, heated topics, and when we do learn about each other, we have a new found respect and friendships begin. Thanks for listening, I'd love to hear more about the old home front.
greeney2

Postby capricorn » Sat May 14, 2011 8:40 am

capricorn

Postby capricorn » Tue May 17, 2011 10:14 am

NATO helicopter attacks Pakistani army post

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/ ... 7-12-26-59
capricorn

Return to The War on Terrorism & Homeland Security

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts