The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

The War on Terrorism & Homeland Security

How Bin Laden was identified

Discuss the War on Terrorism, Homeland Security, Iraq, Afghanistan, North Korea and other global terrorist concerns.

Postby greeney2 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:03 am

It's a Match: How Officials Used DNA to Identify bin Laden
ShareretweetEmailPrintBy MEREDITH MELNICK Meredith Melnick – 2 hrs 56 mins ago
The Obama Administration used several methods, including DNA testing, to confirm that U.S. Navy Seals did in fact kill Osama bin Laden in a weekend raid in Pakistan, U.S. officials said on Monday.

In addition to facial-recognition techniques, analysis of photos by the CIA and confirmation from people at the site of the raid (quoting a senior U.S. defense official, CNN reported that "one of bin Laden's own wives identified his body to U.S. forces, after the team made visual identification themselves"), DNA from the body was matched to confirm bin Laden's identity.

(More on TIME.com: See pictures of a bin Laden family album.)

Matched to what? The U.S. is believed to have collected DNA samples from several of bin Laden's family members during the decade since the terrorist attacks of 9/11. According to an ABC News affiliate in Boston, one of those samples belonged to bin Laden's sister, who died of brain cancer about a year ago at Massachusetts General Hospital; after her death, government officials were reported to have taken some of her brain tissue for genetic testing.

DNA matching suggests with 99.9% certainty, officials said, that the man killed by a shot to the head in a compound in Abbottabad, a town about an hour's drive north of Islamabad, was Osama bin Laden. That may be the best confirmation we'll get, considering that the body has already been buried at sea in accordance with Muslim custom, which requires interment within 24 hours of death. The AP reported that Administration officials were "weighing the merit and appropriateness of releasing a photo of bin Laden."

(More on TIME.com: "Why Was bin Laden Buried at Sea So Quickly?")

So how does DNA matching work? Unlike traditional DNA sequencing, which is the lengthy and expensive process of mapping each of the hundreds of millions of nucleotides in your entire genome, DNA matching homes in on the small fraction of genetic markers that make you unique (99.9% of your DNA sequence looks like everyone else's).

In a typical case, like, say, involving a crime, a test sample of DNA from the crime scene would be compared with a reference sample already on file from the suspect to see if they matched. In bin Laden's case, presumably there was no reference sample from the man himself.

(More on TIME.com: "Celebrating the Death of Osama bin Laden")

That's where his brothers and sisters come in. Bits of a person's unique genetic fingerprint are shared with his or her siblings and parents - since the latter are the ones who give you your DNA to begin with - so DNA swabs collected from the raid in Pakistan would have been matched with reference samples from bin Laden's siblings. A close match identifies bin Laden with an exceedingly high probability of accuracy.

Indeed, taken together, the proof was strong enough to prompt President Obama to deliver a dramatic address to the nation on Sunday night declaring that the U.S. had successfully killed the terrorist mastermind.

(More on TIME.com: "Death Comes for the Master Terrorist: Osama bin Laden, 1957-2011")

The identification was also confirmed with terrific speed. As Kit Eaton at Fast Company reported:

Typical lab-based DNA matching tests like this can take up to 14 days; they're painstaking and need to be repeated several times to ensure the sample's not contaminated from any other DNA sources. But that's not necessarily the only way to do these tests: late in 2010, a University of Arizona team presented research on a machine that can do the analysis in just two hours in a largely automated way. It's possible that knowing they were engaged on a mission to capture bin Laden, U.S. forces arranged for access to a machine like this to be on quick alert - probably for flying blood, cheek cells, and other samples taken from the body to the lab for expedited analysis.
Eaton also pointed out that DNA matching isn't an exact science and that sibling matching is even less exact: "It all comes down to a probability, with a statement like, 'There's a 1 in 1 quadrillion chance this isn't the same person in both DNA samples.' In other words: conspiracy theorists still have something to talk about."

'Operation Get bin Laden': Inside the Navy Seals' Daring Raid.

Killer Betrayed by a Low-Tech Lair.

View this article on Time.com

Most Popular on Time.com:

Osama bin Laden Dead: Terrorist Killed by U.S. in Pakistan
On Scene in Abbottabad at Bin Laden's Last Stand
Osama bin Laden Is Dead, United States Has Body
Official: Bin Laden Buried at Sea
September 11, 2001: If You Want to Humble an Empire
greeney2

Postby The_Joker » Wed May 04, 2011 6:12 am

Impossible, DNA testing takes at least 10 to 12 days when rushed.

You have been sucked into more false science. OBAMA and the NWO are scamming you!!!!
Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...
The_Joker

Postby greeney2 » Wed May 04, 2011 3:27 pm

No we have not been sucked in, not only was a son also killed and would have been linked DNA, they have the DNA of several Bin Laden relatives, which includes his sister who just died from Brain cancer. You need to get your facts straight before you start talking like you know anything.

That in additon to several other methods of ID, plus people confirming it was him in the compound. One was a wife, also some of his children were in the room he died in. About 12 people were in that room.
greeney2

Postby The_Joker » Thu May 05, 2011 12:51 am

According to whom? The Government official story? Who else has made statements ...er that would be nobody other than the government ... and you believe ...for a an intelligent man you don't seem to be firing on all 8 cylinders ... WAKE UP FFS PLEASE. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'll bet you still think JFK was shot because he took on the mafia too. He wasn't.
Should ever be forgot...
The_Joker

Postby greeney2 » Thu May 05, 2011 8:22 am

Typical message board level now,the theorist are not proving their case, so now the condesending belittling begins. This is not the only post you are doing the same thing.
greeney2

Postby capricorn » Thu May 05, 2011 10:20 am

DNA testing isn't what it used to be. Any lab scientist can easily fake one nowadays.
http://arstechnica.com/science/news/200 ... ch-lab.ars
Just show us the pic already.
"a free society depends on a virtuous and moral people."
capricorn

Postby jwebb » Thu May 05, 2011 10:53 am

You know, I am somewhat skeptical of his death because something seems fishy, but you are just embarassing everyone that thinks that way Joker. And no reason to make fun of others for a different view, especially a guy like Greeney, hes a good guy.
Chemedoonam?
jwebb

Postby The_Joker » Thu May 05, 2011 2:39 pm

Having been an O6er in the modern military I am aware of many things, particularly the way things work between military and government.

Given my former pay grade, I can assure you the Official story of Bin Laden's death is not in the least bit kosher. `nuff said.

Greeney2 is indeed one of the good guys but even good guys get sucked into the matrix of lies and deception.

People you need to wake up before it is too late.

I understand that Alex Jones is not well liked on this site many think he is a NWO puppet ... he is not. Many think he is a fool ... he is not.

The Government lies about all manner of things not limited to 9-11, JFK, Vietnam and Pearl Harbour to name a couple Bin Laden's death is another lie.

Obama should change his name to Obama Bin Lying.
Should ever be forgot...
The_Joker

Postby jwebb » Thu May 05, 2011 3:17 pm

Yes I am sure the "official" story will change many times over the course of the next month even. When something like this happens, theres always going to be those kind of stories to where, "Breaking news just in, it seems as if Bin Laden was the only person actually in the compound at the time." That is just an example of course, probably far from true, but yeah, just can't wait to see where this story is witihin the month.
Chemedoonam?
jwebb

Postby Cole_Trickle » Sat May 14, 2011 5:42 am

The_Joker wrote:Having been an O6er in the modern military I am aware of many things, particularly the way things work between military and government.

Given my former pay grade, I can assure you the Official story of Bin Laden's death is not in the least bit kosher. `nuff said.

Greeney2 is indeed one of the good guys but even good guys get sucked into the matrix of lies and deception.

People you need to wake up before it is too late.

I understand that Alex Jones is not well liked on this site many think he is a NWO puppet ... he is not. Many think he is a fool ... he is not.

The Government lies about all manner of things not limited to 9-11, JFK, Vietnam and Pearl Harbour to name a couple Bin Laden's death is another lie.

Obama should change his name to Obama Bin Lying.

Much of what you say is true with the exception of AJ.

Now I have an Uncle, retired with a pay grade far beyond yours. Intelligence, NSA--other various alphabet relationships-----to my current knowledge still has clearance ---still what you would call a ghost!

Believe me when I tell you about AJ. That's all I'll say on that topic.

I did have an experience with his clan a few years back--Cincinnati it was--even got to meet one of the very very sub-standard ( security guards ) :lol: :lol: I hear that they've upgraded since then, one would hope anyway.

So a question goes a begging!!!

Why would there be Federal plainclothes scattered about his events? Too easy for those who know what to look for, soooooooooooooooo............. :lol:

Cole
Cole_Trickle

Return to The War on Terrorism & Homeland Security

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts