The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Ancient & Lost Civilizations

Ancient Flood/Deluge

Here, you can discuss the Mayans, Atlantis, the Aztecs and other ancient and lost civilizations.

Postby SmokinJoe » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:54 pm

I love reading/learning about similarities in so-called "myths" that are so strikingly similar as to be very hard to dismiss the idea that they share the same source. Which, according to mainstream science, is impossible since ancient cultures were unaware of each other and had no contact with each other due to limited navigational understanding/experience back then.

In reading different cultures flood "myths" it is amazing to me how these stories, allegedly totally independent of each other, share such extreme similarities. When you really consider what is said in these stories, it is just way beyond logical to even consider it is just mere coincidence.

I mean, if all these cultures' stories simply had to say, "hey my village was flooded, only a few survived, etc..." then it'd be easy to dismiss as coincidental and move on. But, when it has much more detail, it gets much harder to simply dismiss. Here is but a few examples:

The ancient Vedic Aryan Hindus (Indus Saraswati) spoke about a series of Ten Pitris who ruled before the global Flood. Ancient Babylonian legend speaks of a pre-Flood series of ten kings. The ancient Egyptians described Ten Shining Ones who ruled consecutively before the Deluge. The last of these kings in the aforementioned lists was the hero who led seven others aboard a vessel in which they survived the global Flood. In ancient India, the hero was Manu who survived the global-Flood with the Seven Rishis. In ancient Babylon, the hero's name was Zisudra who spear-headed the survival on the Ark of seven other humans, the Seven Apkallu. In ancient Egypt, the Flood hero was Toth who survived the Deluge along with the Seven Sages.

Of course, as is in every case, nothing is 100%. Same here. While flood myths exist in every culture, there are also differences in many cultures. I just find it highly interesting that cultures that allegedly never mingled, share such amazingly similar stories.
Dawkins thinks belief in God is an excuse to evade thinking in the scientific world. Sadly, he is ignorant to the list of christian scientists who have contributed & founded many of the sciences he himself believes in. How ironic.
SmokinJoe

Postby WarAngel » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:00 pm

SmokinJoe wrote:The ancient Vedic Aryan Hindus (Indus Saraswati) spoke about a series of Ten Pitris who ruled before the global Flood. Ancient Babylonian legend speaks of a pre-Flood series of ten kings. The ancient Egyptians described Ten Shining Ones who ruled consecutively before the Deluge. The last of these kings in the aforementioned lists was the hero who led seven others aboard a vessel in which they survived the global Flood. In ancient India, the hero was Manu who survived the global-Flood with the Seven Rishis. In ancient Babylon, the hero's name was Zisudra who spear-headed the survival on the Ark of seven other humans, the Seven Apkallu. In ancient Egypt, the Flood hero was Toth who survived the Deluge along with the Seven Sages.

Please forgive me if you intend for this thread to go in a different direction, but I read this can can't help thinking of the Ancient Astronaut Theory.
It's a major intrest of mine. :ugeek:

Even with that aside I also believe that a "great flood" happened sometime in history. I too have heard of many cultures describing it in various accounts.
What if it were true?
WarAngel

Postby SmokinJoe » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:05 pm

NP WarAngel..it could all be related. Isn't that Von Daniken's theory?
Dawkins thinks belief in God is an excuse to evade thinking in the scientific world. Sadly, he is ignorant to the list of christian scientists who have contributed & founded many of the sciences he himself believes in. How ironic.
SmokinJoe

Postby WarAngel » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:47 pm

SmokinJoe wrote:NP WarAngel..it could all be related. Isn't that Von Daniken's theory?

Yes. Erich von Daniken is largely responsible for starting the Ancient Astronaut Theory with his book Chariots of The Gods. Ever since then evidence has been found in many sources by other proponents. Some easier to claim as evidence than others.

There's one I heard about extraterrestrials wanting to conduct population control so they caused the flood. Allthough I think it was due to global temperatures rising and with it sea levels. The theory also claims that the story of Noah's Ark is more of a DNA Bank for the animal life on Earth to be preserved. Similar to how we can freeze human embryos and use them later.

Another more main stream flood theory and one that doesn't require aliens is the Garden of Eden. Satilite imagery has found all four rivers mention in the bible. The Tigris and Euphrates are still active. While the Pishon ("Kuwait River") and the Gihon (Karun River) have dried up. Placing the Garden's location under what we now call The Persian Gulf. The idea being that a sudden flood caused humans to leave the area. This in turn became the Biblical story of Adam and Eve's exile. "Scientific Adam" and "Mitocodrial Eve" have been identified. They lived in Eastern Africa, but generations apart.

I heard the Mediterranean Sea also came into being from the flood. A natural barrier held out the waters at lower levels but once they rose high enough it was like a damn breaking and it all came rushing in. Makes sense since we know the Earth has undergone many high and low temperature periods in it's history. Some even recorded in human times.

Australia also used to be larger and closer to South Asia. The people of the time are said to have explored the area without knowing it was there. I saw in a documentary that even with lower sea levels they couldn't have seen it visually.

Then of course there's the Bearing Sea land bridge between Alaska and Russia. Gone because of a flood.

I don't know by memory the different stories of a flood told by cultures around the world. Only that they exist and more or less tell the same story.
What if it were true?
WarAngel

Postby SmokinJoe » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:09 pm

You know, that's funny because I read the flood stories first and other similar histories pertaining to "gods" and found not only the flood stories similar, but the gods of various cultures were also extremely similar.

I've never read Chariots of the Gods all the way through, but I know who Daniken is. I have a hard time with his Sumerian interpretations, but I came to a similar belief that intelligent life has visited this planet and portrayed themselves as gods.
SmokinJoe

Postby WarAngel » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:35 pm

SmokinJoe wrote:You know, that's funny because I read the flood stories first and other similar histories pertaining to "gods" and found not only the flood stories similar, but the gods of various cultures were also extremely similar.

That sure gives evidence for the early "gods" being extraterrestrials instead of any kind of divinity. I'm reminded of something I read somewhere; I've forgotten the source. It talked about what our ancient ancestors would think if they saw aliens and the comparison was something along the lines of "I don't know. What does my cat think when it sees an airplane."

Which brings me to something I'd seen in a documentary. I think it was part of History Channel's Ancient Aliens series. It talked about during the Second World War the U.S. used pacific islands populated by primitive peoples as air bases. The natives recieved food and such from the military. When the war was over the military left. Now these being a less advanced culture had no idea of the technology we had and assumed it was their ancestors that had returned to help them. A sort of religion grew up around this belief. The people even built full sized model airplanes like they'd seen, in hopes that their ancestors would return. It was used to give an example of how any primitive culuture would see aliens and referenced the similarities to the Nazca Lines in southern Peru.

SmokinJoe wrote:I've never read Chariots of the Gods all the way through, but I know who Daniken is.

I recently bought a copy but haven't read it yet either. It's on my list of books to read cover to cover. Most of the ones I have I skim through or look through the Index at the back of books to see what catches my eye.
What if it were true?
WarAngel

Postby aprilc1 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:08 am

You're talking about what they called "cargo cults"-the primitive tribes building "airplanes"out of bamboo thinking it will bring them back
Time has come today
aprilc1

Postby WarAngel » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:10 pm

aprilc1 wrote:You're talking about what they called "cargo cults"-the primitive tribes building "airplanes"out of bamboo thinking it will bring them back

That's used in Ancient Aliens: The Series to give a possible explanation for The Nazca Lines.
What if it were true?
WarAngel

Postby bionic » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:53 pm

I think a long time ago something happened and the people of the time tried their bessed to pass on the story. But like with a game of grapevine, it got warped as it got passed on.
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
bionic

Postby WarAngel » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:54 pm

bionic wrote:I think a long time ago something happened and the people of the time tried their bessed to pass on the story. But like with a game of grapevine, it got warped as it got passed on.

And it would likely be a group of people passing the story down through the generations instead of one individual. That brings a degree of variance because as you said things might be changed or understood differently by the new comers and they'd pass on the different detail.

Similar to a genetic mutation being passed down. Only some would have it. Not everyone.
What if it were true?
WarAngel

Next

Return to Ancient & Lost Civilizations

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts