The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Sci-Fi TV/Movies

Avatar...not a bad little film...

Sci-Fi has amazed audiences since the dawn of television and movies. Come on in to chat about anything and everything Science Fiction.

Postby chiselray » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:58 am

yeah ok then....

lets move on everybody,the shows over !!!
chiselray

Postby greeney2 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:37 am

Its on HBO this month, finally I'll get to see it now. :lol:
greeney2

Postby greeney2 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:37 am

We watched it tonight. If it was in 3D in the movies, that probably would have been pretty fantastic to see. On regular HD televison, it doesn;t give that part credit. I thought the concepts of a differnet planet was innovative and cool gave all that part an A+. The movie to me was really just computer generated special effects, graphics, to honest bores me. Seen one you have seen them all. Its amazing, it very technical, and very expensive, but it doesn't thrill me as a movie goer. Didn't care that much for the political messages that the movie was sending, and to be honest the story line was predictable and very simple. David and Goliath plot, you hate the villain, love the hero, and rejoice when the villian gets killed. I found it entertaining, but it was pretty dead-pan and boring I thought. Never really had any bone chilling suspence, it was really dull all the way though to me. I thought all the acting was a little lackluster, couldn't stand Segorney Weavers character, but I liked Stephen Lang, he made a good bad guy. Didn't realize until the end, the familar voice of the Father was Wes Studi. I've always like his acting. I wouldn't even put this movie in the top 100 movies of all time IMHO. It didn;t leave me with the desire to see it twice. I still like watching movies like Star Wars 30 years later, but can't see this one lasting like those did, or a lot of other films.

My sister in law is a commercial Photographer, and is highly respected and earn very prestigeous awards and honors. The old school way with actual cameras, film, and processing them. Over the years she had said her industry was sinking to the digital computer world, and this art was fading away. She knew Ansel Adams, and his kind of photography is a dying art. Likewise is the movie industry, that was gone the way of mainly computer engineered special effects. Movies like Avatar and Lord of the Rings are computerized entertainment and IMHO just another nail in the coffins of real film making. Another lost art going down the drain to the computer, just like so many professions. We no longer value a hand made swiss watch, we value a quartz crystal computer chip in a fancy frame. We take pictures with digital cameras, put them on a hard drive and end up loosing family pictures with failed harddrives, instead of having 50 year old photos. The movie are turning into computerized extravaganzas, and you can see it in the level of acting, spiffed up my special effects. Sorry, but I saw very little acting, and 90 percent computer designed sets and effects. The acting was piss poor becasue they are standing in a costrume infront of a blue screen, so how can they really get into their roles? Imagine John Wayne riding a fake computerized stagecoach, in a set that is a computer graphic and phoney western landscape.
greeney2

Postby event_horizon » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:13 pm

mrshumphreys wrote:It's still sh*t, just like Titanic was.
:P

'Sanctum' looks like it's going to be pretty good though. :P
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
event_horizon

Previous

Return to Sci-Fi TV/Movies

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts