The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Questions that make you think...

What makes people stoop so low?

In this forum, questions are asked which are really tough to answer. Some philosophical, some regarding morality and many others. Have fun, and post your own personal tough questions!

Postby greeney2 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:31 pm

Stealing off the dying and helpless, what goes through the minds of some people?

Mom's wedding rings stolen as she lay dying

Download story podcast

10:45 PM PDT on Wednesday, October 20, 2010

By SARAH BURGE
The Press-Enterprise

After months of cancer treatments and stays in unfamiliar hospitals, wearing her wedding rings gave Danielle Dale some comfort.

"It's like a security blanket," said her husband, Michael, a 43-year-old French Valley resident. "She liked having her rings on her finger."

In April, someone slipped the diamond wedding ring set off the 39-year-old mother's finger as she lay in a hospital bed. She died less than a week later, leaving behind her two little girls. Dale said he wants the rings back for his daughters, now 9 and 5.

The Riverside County Sheriff's Department is investigating, but has no leads.

Six months later, Dale is still stunned and angered by the callousness of the theft.

"I don't understand who would do that," he said. "There's no excuse for it."

Dale said he left his wife's bedside at Inland Valley Medical Center in Wildomar no earlier than 9:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 8. The platinum rings -- a 1.25-carat princess-cut solitaire and a band with several small diamonds, together worth about $12,000 -- were still on her finger. When his mother-in-law arrived at the hospital about 9 a.m. the next morning, they were gone.

His wife had been given anti-anxiety drugs and was in no condition to notice what had happened, Dale said.

"She was incoherent," Dale said. "She had no clue that they were missing."

Dale then told hospital workers that the rings were missing, but didn't report it to the sheriff's department. Instead, he filed a claim with the hospital seeking compensation for the missing jewelry.

Months later, when it became clear that the rings were gone and the hospital would not reimburse him, Dale filed a police report.

Officials with Southwest Healthcare System, which owns Inland Valley, did not respond to requests for comment.

According to Southwest's website, officials ask patients not to bring valuables to the hospital. If they do, items should be deposited in the safe in the cashier's office, the website states.

"The hospital does not accept responsibility for items of value unless they are deposited in the safe," the website states. "If you lose something, please notify your nurse immediately, who will report the loss."

Sheriff's Sgt. Patrick Chavez said that, in retrospect, his department's chances of finding the rings might have improved if Dale had gone straight to authorities.

"It's just too bad all the way around how it worked out," he said.

Investigators got a search warrant for hospital records showing which employees and contractors were on duty when the rings disappeared, Chavez said. They also visited pawn shops in case the rings might be there. So far, they have no leads.

The sheer number of hospital employees and contractors who could have come into contact with Dale-- from nurses to janitors -- is part of the problem, Chavez said.

DIGNOSIS

Danielle Dale had been diagnosed with cervical cancer in December 2008, after many months of increasingly troubling symptoms.

When his wife received her diagnosis, Dale said, the doctors were encouraging about treatments.

"We were told, 'You don't have to worry. You're not gonna die,'" Dale recalled.

She underwent a barrage of cancer treatments, including radiation and chemotherapy. She even made repeated trips to St. Louis to take part in a clinical trial.

But the cancer spread and a tumor developed on her spine.

When she went to Inland Valley in April, her family did not realize how dire was her condition. Dale said they didn't expect her to be admitted. She was there for a blood transfusion that could improve her blood counts so she would qualify for another experimental treatment.

Normally, Dale said, he would have removed her jewelry for a lengthy hospital stay, though it made his wife nervous to be without her rings.

"We left her rings on because she was only supposed to be there four or five hours," he said.

After his wife arrived at the hospital, her condition rapidly deteriorated. Dale was away picking up the children from school when he learned his wife was being admitted.

The doctors caring for Danielle Dale discharged her from the hospital April 10, but by then another tumor in the lymph nodes of her neck had grown visibly larger.

Soon she was back in the hospital, this time in the ICU at Rancho Springs Medical Center in Murrieta. The tumor on her neck was so large it impaired her breathing.

Dale signed a do-not-resuscitate order and brought their girls, Samantha and Alexandra, to see their mother one last time.

Danielle Dale died April 14, two weeks shy of their 10th wedding anniversary. She would have turned 40 in July.

Dale took the girls to visit her grave at Olivewood Memorial Park in Riverside for her birthday and Mother's Day. They drew pictures and brought balloons and flowers. The girls were confused, at first, when he said they were going to visit her, Dale said.

They thought he meant in heaven.

"THEY MISS MOM"

On a recent Friday at the French Valley home near Murrieta where the family has lived since 2003, Dale sat in a living room full of doll houses and little-girl toys. His mother-in-law, Patti Doll, who stays with the kids on her days off, sat with the girls, in the kitchen. Every few minutes a blond-haired, blue-eye girl peered around the corner to see what her father was up to.

"They miss Mom, but they're doing good," said Dale, an engineer who works mostly from home. "I keep them busy. Our life is homework and sports."

He wants his wife's rings back so he can put them away for his daughters until they're older.

"Those are the rings that she wore all the time," he said. "I'm not concerned about prosecuting. I'm concerned about getting the rings back."

"I haven't given it up completely," he said. "But I'm realistic."

Authorities ask anyone with information about the rings to call Investigator Robert Cornett at the sheriff's Lake Elsinore station at 951-245-3357.

Reach Sarah Burge at 951-375-3736 or sburge@PE.com
greeney2

Postby Snug » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:48 am

hmm... People kill the helpless everyday. I am thinking that would be a better example. But honestly humans are terrible things. They ruin everything they are involved in and care only about themselves.

They quite literally are the trash of the planet and I see more values and qualities in animals everyday then I do in the average person. In fact I've been molested, abused, ripped off, assaulted and attacked by humans but have been treated with tons of respect from every animal I've encountered. Well maybe with the exemption of one that bit me but I think it was accident. :)

People can stoop so "low" because they know the truth and that is most humans don't deserve respect, possessions and in a lot of cases to even be alive. So why care about each other because chances are that the person you are doing such wrong to is a peice of crap just like everyone else.

There is a big reason i choose not to have a kid and that is because i know chances are my kid will grow up to be a plague on the planet. Just like most people I have come to know.
Snug

Postby greeney2 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:00 pm

I fail to see how the woman dying could be someone not deserving of the respect she deserves, lying helplessly in a bed or incoherent. You are right to say many humans are the trash of the planet, but to say you would not have children because of a cynical view of all humans, is something you will have a different opinion on someday.

Not every animal is respectful, if you want to use that term.
greeney2

Postby bionic » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:39 am

It blows my mind that the same species that can create so much awesomeness, and beauty, and compassion, and kindness, and responsibility is also the same species that can be responsible for so much ugliness, and selfishness, and cruelty, and carelessness

we're a dichotomy (at least)
“Whether you sniff it smoke it eat it or shove it up your ass the result is the same: addiction.”
― William S. Burroughs
(love&forgive yourself..and everyone else)
bionic

Postby thunder » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:59 pm

the old saying "what goes around comes around" is a FACT. that thief will suffer 10 fold for such a monsterous act.
thunder

Postby bionic » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:14 pm

I believe that, too..but I also believe in mercy..that woman's soul, where ever it is would never want any kind of cruelty done in her name, I am sure..she would not want that to represent her..still..I do believe in Karma

I use to live one town over from Murrietta, lived in Menifee.
“Whether you sniff it smoke it eat it or shove it up your ass the result is the same: addiction.”
― William S. Burroughs
bionic

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:34 am

Thieves are opportunists and when one presents itself, they take advantage of it. People have an amazing ability of convincing themselves that they haven't done anything wrong. Those shows where they ask people on the street to "watch this suitcase full of cash while I step away" are crazy if they think a reasonable sample of honest people can be taken from that. First off, noone does that and in the age of digital media everyone knows it's a test and there are cameras watching them.

I've seen it myself many times, otherwise good people, people I respected would take things that didn't belong to them if the opportunity presented itself. Like going to the lost and found in a store and hoping to get your cellphone back. If it ever made it there in the first place, it's more likely to be pocketed by the person at the desk. Especially if it's better than the one they have or if they think they can sell it to a friend or family member.

I'm not just talking about the bottom of the totem pole employee but salaried management as well. These same people have no problem bragging about falsely filing claims to the government in times of crisis, like Katrina and the oil spill, and getting $5,000 checks to go blow on a plasma screen either. They convince themselves that they're "sticking it to the government" so there are no victims.

In fact, they like to think of themselves as the victim and reason that everyone else owes them something. They also like to brag, love showing off the things they own and if they think you're "cool" they may even tell you how they actually acquired it. They can't help but tell on themselves, they have to brag to someone. I'd wager that's how most of them end up being apprehended by the authorities, ratted out by a fellow envious thief. Honor among thieves, laughable. :lol:

We as honest people like to think that there are some things you just don't do. We'd like to believe that situations like this, that people like this woman would be off limits to thieves. Some compassion, empathy, guilt or conscience would stop them from committing such an act but it just isn't so. It's sad, it's unfortunate but it's true.

Postby bionic » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:59 am

also, we have to remember..peole get desperate..and these are desperate times
if they needed the money..then okayish(but NOT)..but if it was just greed..then screw them..KWIM?
― William S. Burroughs
bionic

Return to Questions that make you think...

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts