The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Scientific Discoveries and Advancements

New software set to revolutionize internet search

The newest revelations in the scientific world -- post articles, discussions and your own ideas.

Postby inja » Mon May 04, 2009 10:51 am

This is very cool and scary to the same time.

A revolutionary new software
that will understand questions and give specific, tailored answers in a way that has never been seen is promising to shake up the internet.

Experts say that the new system, Wolfram Alpha, to be launched later this month, could put giants like Google in the shade, reports the Independent.

Wolfram Alpha, showcased at Harvard University in the US last week, takes the first step towards what many consider to be the internet’s Holy Grail - a global store of information that understands and responds to ordinary language in the same way a person does.

Computer experts believe the new search engine will be an evolutionary leap in the development of the internet. Nova Spivack, an internet and computer expert, said that Wolfram Alpha could prove just as important as Google. “It is really impressive and significant,” the British daily quoted Spivack as saying. “In fact it may be as important for the web (and the world) as Google, but for a different purpose.”

-snip-

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Health--Science/Science/New-software-set-to-revolutionize-internet-search/articleshow/4480257.cms

This article has a link where you can watch an interview where Stephen Wolfram discusses this new software. I haven't watch it yet but will sometime later today.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2009/may/01/wolframalpha-youtube-talks
Truth is stranger than fiction, because fiction has to make sense.
inja

Postby CodeBlack » Wed May 20, 2009 6:41 pm

Ok, well, I tried it. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't yet see the point of it. Most searches you get nothing. The rest you get knowledge base kind of stuff, not search results. Maybe its not quite working yet. Nice concept but it needs a whole lot of implementation details ironed out.
N2TheBlack
CodeBlack

Postby Mr_Headshot » Tue May 26, 2009 12:27 am

Yeah, I've been working on figuring the program out for a couple days now and it's just not user friendly at all. But it's basically just database stuff, great for research and fact finding when dealing with things which are very unambiguous.
Mr_Headshot

Return to Scientific Discoveries and Advancements

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts