The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

New Discovery Substantially Reduces Air Friction Drag.

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby esecallum » Mon May 04, 2009 8:26 am

New Discovery Substantially Reduces Air Friction Drag.

New Piezo Acoustic Discovery Substantially Reduces Aircraft Drag Friction.

Air resistance is a major source of drag resulting in energy consumption and fuel usage for aircraft and quadruples with doubling of speed.

As I was lying in bed ,instead of always having sex like everyone else, it occurred to me in a flash about this method of reducing air resistance.

In sexual terms it maybe construed as Piezo Acoustic Lubrication.

Wind tunnel tests conducted by me as a result of this inspiration by me on models fitted with piezo acoustic transducers on inside the hull and fed with various audio and ultrasonic frequencies showed dramatic decreases in air resistance of the model's air resistance as it flew through the air.

It seems that the micro vibration of the hull may make the hull more slippery or in some way the hull vibration amplitude pushes/compresses the air out of the way resulting in considerable reduction in drag varying from 20% to 60%.

Another mechanism may be some kind of resonance phenomenon which allows the aircraft to be more slippery through the air.The acoustic device may be distorting the hull by microscopic amounts could be another mechanism.

Or some kind of micro eddies/vortices might be responsible as has been shown in the small winglets attached to some planes.Another possible mechanism might be electrostatic charge build up due to the vibrations which repels the air or creates a micro air gap.

The piezo transducers are the same as used in toys or electrical devices to make beeping noises/sounds.They were glued solidly onto inside the hull near the front and at other points and then fed various frequencies and waveforms such as sine,square,triangle waveforms at different frequencies.

Piezo disc devices distort when a voltage is applied to the ceramic attached to the usually brass metal disc.If it solidly attached to a another surface then that surface will also distort.

The frequencies generated were from a bog standard laboratory square/sine/triangle waveform generator ranging from 0.1 Hz to 100 kilohertz.These were fed by wires attached to the transducers.

The application of this discovery to both commercial and military aircraft are profound in that the reduction in air resistance will boost speed and reduce fuel consumption and extend range as well as improve maneouverability.

As the frequency required to achieve the lower air resistance varied with wind speed a computer controlled system could easily be used but of course more research is needed in actual aircraft to derive the air resistance versus frequency graphs as well as location parameters which will vary with the shape of the aircraft.

This could also be applied to boats/ships but may cause noise pollution in the ocean disturbing ocean animals.Maybe it could be used in cars but might be too noisy.

I claim exclusive ownership of this discovery and I have submitted papers to my lawyer who has notarized this discovery.

Other people can do similar experiments to confirm this for themselves and report on their results.You can use model aircraft , etc. and bog standard lab equipment.
esecallum

Postby Tairaa » Mon May 04, 2009 9:38 am

That's interesting!

I like that concept, it makes sense to me, I'd like to run some experiments with that. That's particularly of interest to me as I fly from time to time. I really should go and get the rest of the hours I need for my private license.

Unfortunately I don't think they'd let me modify the aircraft at all since I only rent, but whatever it's a far better idea to simply buy/construct a model and experiment with it instead of a real thing.

All I need is a wind tunnel. :P
"George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."
Tairaa

Postby greeney2 » Mon May 04, 2009 10:05 am

I claim exclusive ownership of this discovery and I have submitted papers to my lawyer who has notarized this discovery.

Did you ask your lawyer if posting the entire idea on the internet before you have a patent award is a good idea? :lol:
greeney2

Postby Jaack » Mon May 04, 2009 10:14 am

Did you test with a wood frame and skin aircraft or aircraft aluminum frame and skin?

Seems to me with all the worries about metal fatigue, a known killer and cause of plane accidents, would preclude the adoption of such a device as it would be putting constant strain on the skin past the present strains of pressure and depressurization cycles as well as heating and cooling.

Sure the aircraft could be made stronger. Then doesn't that eat into any previous gains as weight will increase fuel consumption?

Then there's the composite aircraft. What type of effect would this mechanical action have on composite skins over a reasonable service life?
What?
Jaack

Postby greeney2 » Mon May 04, 2009 10:35 am

On a serious note, is drag only caused by the surface finish of a wing, or the material it is made from. The ultimate total weight being lighter would result in more lift, but does that affect drag and friction going forward and thru the air? Wood vs titanium or a composit? Your idea almost sounds like the reverse of the funcition of strain gadges thruout the internal surface to measure the affects of the air upon the wing. you are reversing their roles to induce a force to counteract the force of the air, kind of in an opposite way from measuring strain.
greeney2

Postby mael » Mon May 04, 2009 2:59 pm

And then you had sex afterwards?

Would this be as effective in situations where the air is very thin? (Like when the plane is actually flying)?

Just ignore me ... I'm heading for beddy byes .......................... .
mael

Postby Tairaa » Mon May 04, 2009 4:47 pm

To answer your question about drag, Greeney.

The drag of an aircraft is the total sum of resistance applied upon the aircraft, this is caused by the air. Anything that influences the way the aircraft interacts with the air in the atmosphere influences drag, so the material, shape etc definitely all have an impact. Material or finish are important to note because a smooth, slick surface will pose far less friction with the air then a rough, porous material would.

Ideally as much of the plane you can make into an effective airfoil the better. Traditionally the wings are the airfoil, like in older planes with wings that are at a near 90º to the fuselage especially. But nowadays military jets have large portions of their bodies acting as airfoils on top of the wings, the B-2 for instance is one big airfoil, it all acts as a wing. So as a result of the shape the plane generates a LOT more lift then it would if it was shaped like an old B17, which means less of the power from the engines have to be converted to lift.

I think his idea should be experimented with extensively, could prove usefull.

BTW esecallum, it wasn't really a good idea to post it on the internet if you actually plan on holding on to the idea I don't think. But then again, I'm not a lawyer so I could be wrong.
"George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."
Tairaa

Postby greeney2 » Mon May 04, 2009 6:57 pm

I wish my Dad was still living, he was an Areonauticl engineer, and actually taught wind tunnel. The idea is interresting, but if the shape of the airfoil and surface finshing creates the drag, I'm tyring to picture any internal induced vibration or ultra sonic waves physically affecting the drag in on the air at all. Obviously the size of the wing is a function of the difference in air pressure in order to lift the weight. Any lighter material would result in needing a smaller wing, so in that sense total weight is less drag becasue the size required of the wing. Total surface area has to reduce drag.
greeney2

Postby Tairaa » Mon May 04, 2009 8:06 pm

Yeapers, the lowering of surface area on an airfoil greats less drag and less lift. I don't know exactly about the relationship the two would have in terms of amount of decline, but i wouldn't be surprised if they were very nearly the same.

Uhm, well I am able to "visualize" the cause of this. Whether or not it works is unknown to me, but the idea is that quick vibrations of the outer material will alter the air current directly touching the skin, and cause them in turn to vibrate and move across the surface with lowered friction.

Am I right Esecallum?
Tairaa

Postby greeney2 » Mon May 04, 2009 11:58 pm

Esecallum are you an engineer?
greeney2

Next

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts