The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

World Politics

Who was the best/worst president of the 20th century?

This section is designed for foreign politics, outside the United States. The Black Vault serves many different countries, and this forum will hold threads regarding world politics, events, etc.

Postby Nesaie » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:25 pm

I would have made this a poll, but I could only put 10 choices.

For me, I think my favorite is Ike. It might have been Kennedy, but he was murdered.

My least favorite is...wow, they all were bad. But, I think the worst of the worst was FDR.
Such a society would be dominated by an elite, unrestrained by traditional values. Soon it will be possible to assert almost continuous surveillance over every citizen... - Zbigniew Brezhinsky
Nesaie

Postby greeney2 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:41 pm

Kennedy changed the course of history when he died, and one can only imagine how things would have played out differently, had he lived and served 2 terms. Kennedy had some failures, and may or may not have been remember the same way, if he served 8 years. Pretty amazing hypothetical, but imagine how history would have played out, had he not been assasinated, and assuming both Martin Luther King and Robert Kennedy had lived. Hypothetically, LBJ would have never been President, so would the escalation in Viet Nam may have never happened. That spured the Hippy rebellion, tune in and drop out, Timothy Leary, the late 60's demostrations. RFK would have won the 68 election, and Nixon would have never been elected, resulting in no Watergatge, or Gerald Ford assuming the Presidency. Inflation that began with Ford, skyrocketed with Carter, as well as the weakinging of our military. The forces of a more liberal society were beginning out of the late 60's, no draft, technology made our lives pushbutton instand gratifacation.

As someone who was in High School when JFK was killed, our lives were altered that day, and I really wonder how it would have all changed, if that never happened. The course of events of the 60 and 70's, the Reagan Era, The 90's, event up to today, in some way was impacted tremendously.

I would have to really study the first half of the century to say who the worst President was, but in my lifetime, I say it was Jimmy Carter. Until Obama.

Darn good question, and the biggest part is how have we all been affected by JFK? Did we really ever recover from that, or did history send us on a 40-50 year spiral every year and event since.
greeney2

Postby The_Joker » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:10 am

I would have to agree with you Greeney2, Kennedy was for the time he served before he was murdered was indeed the best of the Presidents of this century.

For my money I would say Ronald Reagan was second but he like many others had his failings.
Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...
The_Joker

Postby Nesaie » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:53 pm

I'm wondering what Barry Goldwater could have done if he won against Johnson?

I like Goldwater.

He could have been the best prez of the 20th Cent. ????
Such a society would be dominated by an elite, unrestrained by traditional values. Soon it will be possible to assert almost continuous surveillance over every citizen... - Zbigniew Brezhinsky
Nesaie

Postby Wing-Zero » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:29 pm

Nesaie wrote:He could have been the best prez of the 20th Cent. ????

Ha, no.

Teddy is, and always will be, the best president we've had.
War is an extension of economics and diplomacy through other means.

Economics and diplomacy are methods of securing resources used by humans.

Securing resources is the one necessary behavior for all living things.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby Nesaie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:47 pm

Wing-Zero wrote:
Nesaie wrote:He could have been the best prez of the 20th Cent. ????

Ha, no.

Teddy is, and always will be, the best president we've had.

Are you talking about Teddy Roosevelt? If you are, I hope you're joking.

Ted Kennedy never made it to prez because of that whole little drunk driving incident where a woman was murdered.
Nesaie

Postby Wing-Zero » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:28 pm

Nesaie wrote:Are you talking about Teddy Roosevelt? If you are, I hope you're joking.

I AM talking about Theodore "Speak Softly and Carry a Big Stick" Roosevelt. The man who fought day and night against corporations, passed the Meat Inspection Act and The Pure Food and Drug Act, preserved thousands of acres of wilderness as national parks and forests and halted the destructive power of Industrialization, earned the Medal of Honor AND the Nobel Peace Prize (the first American to do so), boxed kangaroos, wrestled piranhas, sported a mighty mustache, skinny-dipped in the Potomac during winter, got his left eye knocked out and permanently blinded (after a boxing match) and continued on like nothing happened, was an avid sportsman, and is considered the second most-read president after Jefferson, and he even read books in multiple languages. He even gave a ninety minute-long speech after being SHOT. He evaluated (himself) that, since he wasn't coughing up blood, the bullet hadn't made it to the lung and that he'd be fine to go up. He was the last president we've had where no one was able to push him around.

He has his faults, of course. He was a Jingoist. He believed and saw it fit to wave the power of the US at any ol' thing, he wasn't much of a civil rights enthusiast (though he DID invite Booker T. Washington into the White House), and (probably his biggest flaw) was his establishment of The Monroe Doctrine. Still, the man is BY FAR the best leader we've had in the last hundred years.

Where the heck did you get Ted Kennedy from? We're talking about presidents, not descendants of Jabba The Hutt.
War is an extension of economics and diplomacy through other means.

Economics and diplomacy are methods of securing resources used by humans.

Securing resources is the one necessary behavior for all living things.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby greeney2 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:33 am

Best/Worst usually ends up what things a President does or does not do that affects you personally. They all have their failures and all have their triumphs, its a matter of if those issues end up good or bad for you. LBJ was the worst to many Viet Nam Era people like me, but maybe one the best to those affected by his Civil Rights Bills. Teddy Roosvelt was a great President becasue of his vision of the National Parks, but He also had his problems in those days when women still could not vote. Who knew in the 60's what we now know about the Kennedy's and their affairs?
greeney2

Return to World Politics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts