The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Health & Health Hazards

Statistics tell the risk for Gay, bisexual men.

Stay healthy and stay tuned to the most recent developments in Health watch.

Postby greeney2 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:36 pm

44 pct of gay, bisexual men with HIV don't know it
Buzz up!19 votes ShareretweetEmailPrintBy MIKE STOBBE, AP Medical Writer Mike Stobbe, Ap Medical Writer – Thu Sep 23, 3:35 pm ET
ATLANTA – One in five sexually active gay and bisexual men has the AIDS virus, and nearly half of those don't know they are infected, a federal study of 21 U.S. cities shows.

Experts said the findings are similar to earlier research, but the study released Thursday is the largest to look at gay and bisexual U.S. men at high risk for HIV. More than 8,000 men were tested and interviewed, and 44 percent of those who had the virus didn't know they had it.

Overall, less than half of 1 percent of Americans have the AIDS virus, according to a calculation by the Kaiser Family Foundation, a research and policy organization in Washington, D.C.

But gay and bisexual men continue to be infected at much higher rates, said Jennifer Kates, Kaiser's director of global health and HIV policy.

"We don't have a generalized epidemic in the United States. We have a concentrated epidemic among certain populations," she said.

That's why a new national AIDS strategy, unveiled by the White House in July, is emphasizing more of a government focus on men who have sex with men and others at the highest risk of getting infected, Kates said.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends HIV testing at least once a year for all men who have sex with men and are sexually active, but research indicates more than half don't get tested.

An earlier study in just five cities in 2004-05 found similar results.

The new study, conducted in 2008, included 16 additional cities. Researchers offered free testing to the men, interviewed them and paid around $25 for their participation.

Black men were more likely to have HIV, with 28 percent reportedly infected, compared to 18 percent of Hispanic men and 16 percent of white men.

Black men were also least likely to know they were infected — about 60 percent didn't know they had HIV — compared 46 percent of Hispanic men and 26 percent of whites.
greeney2

Postby Nesaie » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:46 pm

Was HIV created by the pentagon? There are some Dr.s that suggest just that. Or at least they suggest that HIV was a UN/US intentional creation.

My personal suspicion is that the purpose of this post is towards an individual on this forum.

But, these are mere speculations on a conspiracy forum, so none of this can be either proved or disproved.
Such a society would be dominated by an elite, unrestrained by traditional values. Soon it will be possible to assert almost continuous surveillance over every citizen... - Zbigniew Brezhinsky
Nesaie

Postby greeney2 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:55 am

No the Pentagon did not create HIV.

I think any statistics are intented as a wake up call, for those in denial of the risk they are in. That applies to Alcohol use and disease, Drug use and disease, Smoking and disease, overeating and disease. Statistics all point out who or what the highest risk factor is for certain diseases, and it comes from actual records, hard facts, not projections or theories.

But gay and bisexual men continue to be infected at much higher rates, said Jennifer Kates, Kaiser's director of global health and HIV policy.

"We don't have a generalized epidemic in the United States. We have a concentrated epidemic among certain populations," she said.

Maybe you can explain why if this is now considered "everyones disease", and everyone has to use precautions, why the same highest risk group(actually the top 5 are unchanged), has not changed since AIDS was discovered in the early 80's? Lets hope at least a vacination is developed for it, but in the mean time, wouldn't abstinance from the highest risk groups, be a primary approach? Almost half of those infected, are unaware they even have it, but continue their practices. And so do alcoholics, and smokers, and overeaters, so what part is the disease, the incurable organisms within, or the inability to not stop the practices by ignoring the statistics?
greeney2

Postby Snug » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:52 pm

I've done a fair amount of volunteer work with HIV gay men. The reality of people and the situation really clears up when it is confidential and there encouraged to be honest.

Fact is almost no gay men use protection. Almost no gay men disclose there status and lie when asked. Many admit to purposely trying to infect people out of smite and anger for there own situation. They spread Denialism and lies about the disease like the plague.

It is very obvious why the statistics are so high and ironically these people are the ones that get almost all of the volunteer help and donations. In fact most charities won't even allow volunteers who are not homosexual or offer help to women or straight men.

This is pretty sad thing to say considering I am HIV+ myself and am one of the few that actually takes responsibility even though I am a 1-100 000 case according to the CDC. But don't donate to HIV charities. There are other diseases and situations that contain people that actually deserve your money and time.
Snug

Postby greeney2 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:12 pm

I've been called everything in the book for posting things like this. Thank you for you honest and straight talk about this snug. Hopefully it may help someone in the decisions they make for themselves.
greeney2

Postby Nesaie » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:03 am

greeney2 wrote:I've been called everything in the book for posting things like this. Thank you for you honest and straight talk about this snug. Hopefully it may help someone in the decisions they make for themselves.

Really? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Snug, Are you familiar with Wild Fermentation? It's the name of a book written by a man with HIV. He was looking for nutritional cures. Here is the website: http://wildfermentation.com/

I knew a man years ago who was a haemophiliac, he was straight, but became infected with a bad batch Not everyone who is infected is gay.
Such a society would be dominated by an elite, unrestrained by traditional values. Soon it will be possible to assert almost continuous surveillance over every citizen... - Zbigniew Brezhinsky
Nesaie

Postby greeney2 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:08 am

I never said that everyone infected was Gay Nasaie, please do not imply that I ever have. The highest risk groups have been unchanged for decades according the CDC statistics of new cases.
greeney2

Return to Health & Health Hazards

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts