The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Health & Health Hazards

Farm Sold Cattle with Illegal Drug Residues

Stay healthy and stay tuned to the most recent developments in Health watch.

Postby sandra » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:34 pm

The Department of Justice, USA, has filed a complaint for permanent injunction on behalf of the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) against Scenic View Dairy of Hamilton, Michigan, the company's president as well as three managers - they are alleged to have sold dairy cows containing illegal drug residues - antibiotics - in edible tissues for human consumption.

The complaint also alleges that despite several warnings, the defendants sold dairy cows that had been treated with drugs contrary to the drugs' FDA-approved labeling and without a valid veterinary prescription to authorize their use - the cows were sold for slaughter.

The complaint was filed on August 31st, 2010, in the US District Court for the Western District of Michigan.

The violations are alleged to have occurred from 2002 to 2010 at three of Scenic View Dairy's farms, at Fennville, Freeport, and Gowen, Michichan. The complaint names company president D. Geerlings, Fennville farm manager Mark A. Lucas, Freeport farm manager Michael J. Van Dam, and Gowen farm manager Jeremy A. Portell.

The FDA informs that it had notified the defendants regarding its findings at least eight times. The USDA (Department of Agriculture) had sent over 11 letters about the illegal tissue residues. Despite these warnings, the complaint states that the defendants continued violating the law regardless.

Part of the complaint is based upon illegal neomycin, penicillin, and sulfadimethoxine - types of antibiotics - drug residues that the USDA detected in the edible tissue of dairy cows that said defendants had offered for sale for human consumption.

Selling animals for human consumption that have illegal levels of antibiotic drugs can increase the risk of the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria; people with drug allergies may also have reactions.

According to FDA regulations, animals for human consumption have to be off the drugs for a specified period before they are slaughtered.

Scenic View Dairy gets its cows mainly from New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Vermont and sells to slaughterhouses in other states, including Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

Source: FDA
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/199640.php

Unreal these people!
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
sandra

Postby Nesaie » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:28 pm

Are you really surprised by this? The fda...really??? Yeah, like they actually protect our food. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you eat beef, which I do, eat 100% grass fed! Know your local farmer. The reason cows are fed antibiotics is because they're sick from their diet. Cows are supposed to graze, not be fattened with grains and corn. Though corn is a form of grass, they need other grasses as well. When cows have the real food from grazing, they don't get sick. So, there is no need for antibiotics.

Remember, "you are what you eat." That goes for the animals and the animals you eat.
Such a society would be dominated by an elite, unrestrained by traditional values. Soon it will be possible to assert almost continuous surveillance over every citizen... - Zbigniew Brezhinsky
Nesaie

Postby sandra » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:32 pm

Well looks like I'll put you to good use Nesaie! :mrgreen:
Yes, I'm fairly ignorant of food processes, gives me new stuff to learn though.

I am surprised that these people do not face more serious consequences.
A complaint for permanent injunction? And what else?

Nice extra information though, because I did not realise that they give the cows antibiotics because they get sick from their diet. Sounds like us and we eat them. :P :?
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
sandra

Postby Nesaie » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:40 pm

Here is some information about 100% grass fed beef also known as grass finished. This is different than organic, and much better.

http://www.grassfed.weatherburyfarm.com ... sterol.htm
Such a society would be dominated by an elite, unrestrained by traditional values. Soon it will be possible to assert almost continuous surveillance over every citizen... - Zbigniew Brezhinsky
Nesaie

Postby greeney2 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:06 am

If you eat beef, which I do, eat 100% grass fed! Know your local farmer.

Nobody knows their local farmer, and nobody goes and buys their meat from a farm owned by someone they know. The banker or insurance man, knows all the farmers, may say, "Hey Fred, let me know when elsie is ready for slauder, I want a hind quarter this year", "we'll have ol Tom at the butcher shop cut it up for the freezer". Maybe in some small places this happens, but not in most of America. We goto the market, and we have no idea if that steak or roast, just came from a Texas grass range, or an cornfeed Ohio barn, not to mention imported from South America or some other place. Maybe if you goto some exclusive outlet like Bristal Farms, or Omaha beef, they may give an account of from birth to your plate, but in most cases, when you goto Von's, you have no idea. Like the section in the produce section that says "Organic", you have no idea if it is, but you know the price tag it twice as much.
greeney2

Postby Nesaie » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:49 am

Actually, that is incorrect. There are lot's of farms just east of me. You can drive past their farms and see the cows grazing on grass. Many of them sell 1/2 a cow and such. You can go in with friends an buy 1/2 a cow that was locally grown. Same with raw milk.

If you can't get out to the farm, there is a local farmer's market where a couple people sell beef, eggs, pork cheese. These guys are the farmers or the work hands. You can ask them any question and many are willing to give you a tour of the farm.

If you miss that, then there is a coop locally that buys from local farms. They also label what is grass fed and what is organic. We also have a local butcher shop that sells raw milk and some grass fed. I just ask the butcher which cuts are grass fed and he gives me my choices. The butcher will tell you which farm the meat comes from and where it's located.
Nesaie

Postby greeney2 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:59 am

Certified raw milk was one of those crazes when "Health food stores" were springing up all over the place. Altadena was one of the biggest in our area for raw milk. Its not all what its cracked up to be, and has many dangers unpasteurized.

Like I said Nasaie, maybe in some places people can know a local farmer, but that is a real rare(no pun intended) way people buy beef. In cities like Los Angeles, no way will this happen, and you have to search for an old fashioned butcher shop. They just can not compete with the super markets, so they have gone along with independant hardwares, and other stores.

The Dangers of Raw Milk: Unpasteurized Milk Can Pose a Serious Health Risk
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Available in Spanish.

Milk and milk products provide a wealth of nutrition benefits. But raw milk can harbor dangerous microorganisms that can pose serious health risks to you and your family. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 800 people in the United States have gotten sick from drinking raw milk or eating cheese made from raw milk since 1998.

Raw milk is milk from cows, sheep, or goats that has not been pasteurized to kill harmful bacteria. This raw, unpasteurized milk can carry dangerous bacteria such as Salmonella, E. coli, and Listeria, which are responsible for causing numerous foodborne illnesses.

These harmful bacteria can seriously affect the health of anyone who drinks raw milk, or eats foods made from raw milk. However, the bacteria in raw milk can be especially dangerous to pregnant women, children, the elderly, and people with weakened immune systems.

"Pasteurized Milk" Explained
Pasteurization is a process that kills harmful bacteria by heating milk to a specific temperature for a set period of time. First developed by Louis Pasteur in 1864, pasteurization kills harmful organisms responsible for such diseases as listeriosis, typhoid fever, tuberculosis, diphtheria, and brucellosis.

Research shows no meaningful difference in the nutritional values of pasteurized and unpasteurized milk. Pasteurized milk contains low levels of the type of nonpathogenic bacteria that can cause food spoilage, so storing your pasteurized milk in the refrigerator is still important.

Raw Milk & Pasteurization: Debunking Milk Myths
While pasteurization has helped provide safe, nutrient-rich milk and cheese for over 120 years, some people continue to believe that pasteurization harms milk and that raw milk is a safe healthier alternative.

Here are some common myths and proven facts about milk and pasteurization:

Pasteurizing milk DOES NOT cause lactose intolerance and allergic reations. Both raw milk and pasteurized milk can cause allergic reactions in people sensitive to milk proteins.
Raw milk DOES NOT kill dangerous pathogens by itself.
Pasteurization DOES NOT reduce milk's nutritional value.
Pasteurization DOES NOT mean that it is safe to leave milk out of the refrigerator for extended time, particularly after it has been opened.
Pasteurization DOES kill harmful bacteria.
Pasteurization DOES save lives.
Raw Milk and Serious Illness
Symptoms and Advice
Symptoms of foodborne illness include:

Vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain
Flulike symptoms such as fever, headache, and body ache
While most healthy people will recover from an illness caused by harmful bacteria in raw milk - or in foods made with raw milk - within a short period of time, some can develop symptoms that are chronic, severe, or even life-threatening.

If you or someone you know becomes ill after consuming raw milk or products made from raw milk - or, if you are pregnant and think you could have consumed contaminated raw milk or cheese - see a doctor or healthcare provider immediately.

The Dangers of Listeria and Pregnancy
Pregnant women run a serious risk of becoming ill from the bacteria Listeria which can cause miscarriage, fetal death or illness or death of a newborn. If you are pregnant, consuming raw milk - or foods made from raw milk, such as Mexican-style cheese like Queso Blanco or Queso Fresco - can harm your baby even if you don't feel sick.

Protect Your Family with Wise Food Choices
Most milk and milk products sold commercially in the United States contain pasteurized milk or cream, or the products have been produced in a manner that kills any dangerous bacteria that may be present. But unpasteurized milk and products made from unpasteurized milk are sold and may be harmful to your health. To avoid getting sick from the dangerous bacteria found in raw milk, you should choose your milk and milk products carefully. Consider these guidelines:

Okay to Eat
Pasteurized milk or cream
Hard cheeses such as cheddar, and extra hard grating cheeses such as Parmesan
Soft cheeses, such as Brie, Camembert, blue-veined cheeses, and Mexican-style soft cheeses such as Queso Fresco, Panela, Asadero, and Queso Blanco made from pasteurized milk
Processed cheeses
Cream, cottage, and Ricotta cheese made from pasteurized milk
Yogurt made from pasteurized milk
Pudding made from pasteurized milk
Ice cream or frozen yogurt made from pasteurized milk
Unsafe to Eat
Unpasteurized milk or cream
Soft cheeses, such as Brie and Camembert, and Mexican-style soft cheeses such as Queso Fresco, Panela, Asadero, and Queso Blanco made from unpasteurized milk
Yogurt made from unpasteurized milk
Pudding made from unpasteurized milk
Ice cream or frozen yogurt made from unpasteurized milk

When in Doubt - Ask!
Taking a few moments to make sure milk is pasteurized - or that a product isn't made from raw milk - can protect you or your loved ones from serious illness.

Read the label. Safe milk will have the word "pasteurized" on the label. If the word "pasteurized" does not appear on a product's label, it may contain raw milk.
Don't hesitate to ask your grocer or store clerk whether milk or cream has been pasteurized, especially milk or milk products sold in refrigerated cases at grocery or health food stores.
Don't buy milk or milk products at farm stands or farmers' markets unless you can confirm that it has been pasteurized.
Is Your Homemade
Ice Cream Safe?
Each year, homemade ice cream causes serious outbreaks of infection from Salmonella. The ingredient responsible? Raw or undercooked eggs. If you choose to make ice cream at home, use a pasteurized egg product, egg substitute, or pasteurized shell eggs in place of the raw eggs in your favorite recipe. There are also numerous egg-free ice cream recipes available.
Everyone can practice safe food handling
by following these four simple steps:

- - Links on this page:http://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm210577.htm
Page Last Updated: 05/03/2010
Note: If you need help accessing information in different file formats, see Instructions for Downloading Viewers and Players.
greeney2

Postby Nesaie » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:18 pm

Personally, I'm a capitalist. I believe in putting my money where my mouth is. Apparently, many of my neighbors around here do as well. We have farmers markets in just about every neighborhood, not to mention the original Seattle farmers market, the Pike Place Market. I believe that if there was a demand for fresh organic produce in LA, the farmers would oblige. When I was working in LA there was a guy who made homemade ice cream and sold it to the local businesses. He was quite popular.

If you want to talk about raw milk, we can. It wasn't just some hippy craze. For me personally, I can't drink pasteurized milk, it makes me sick. However, I can drink raw milk. The big difference is the natural good bacteria in raw milk overrides any potential bad bacteria. The source you're using is from the fda. That is the same organization that couldn't prevent lead in toys, couldn't prevent poison in pet food from China, couldn't prevent poison in baby food from China. The fda allows aspartame into processed foods which creates death and disease. Aspartame is at least as bad as cigarettes, if not worse. Oh yeah, they also said that cigarettes weren't unhealthy.

The fda is corrupt. Most of the people who work there were previously employed by corporations like Monsanto, Pfiser, Tyson, Bayor, etc. But, I understand you want to believe "government is good".

The federal government likes to demonize raw milk because the industry wants them to. Pasteurization extends shelf life, that is all the "benefit" it has. It does kill any potential bad bacteria, but it also kills all the good bacteria. When comparing small organic farms to industrial farms, it is a world of difference. On industrial farms the milk is more likely to become poisoned by bad bacteria. So, pasteurization gives them a back up to be dirty and allow for feces to get into the milk. When that happens, they just pasteurize rather than prevent the contamination of the ecoli. Whereas on smaller organic farms they use an interesting concept, it's called being sanitary. The milk doesn't get contaminated in the first place.

According to your article 800 people have gotten sick from raw milk in the last 12 years. So that's about 66 people per year. That seems pretty rare compared to the recent salmonella outbreak from industrial farming of eggs. That one infected thousands of people within months.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/08/ ... 8236.shtml

My boyfriend believes he got that from a fast food breakfast sandwich. His gut was hurting for a week. Then he started taking probiotics. Within a day, he was no longer in pain. Guess what pasteurization kills? The probiotics that are naturally in raw milk.

Let's recap, the fda allows industrial farming, because their members used to work for those corporations. Industrial farming causes more sickness and death within months than local organic raw milk can within 12 years. The fda has claimed that they don't have the funding to do it's job to keep tainted food from China out of the US. And, you still believe their propaganda.

For anyone who wants to read the "alternative" side to the fda, here are a couple of links.

http://www.naturalnews.com/024259.html

http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/

http://www.realmilk.com/rawmilkoverview.html

Before making a decision and blindly believing a corrupt government, please read some of the links from the above sources to the actual studies and their documents. I didn't come to my conclusions by belief. I came to my conclusions by reading sites such as above and their links.
Nesaie

Return to Health & Health Hazards

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts