The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

The "Off-Topic" Members Lounge

What are you having?

Feel like posting something completely unrelated to the message forums? Feel free! This forum is dedicated to have a place where members can sit, relax and just chat about anything!

Postby sandra » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:52 pm

I'm dedicating this thread to food.

Share what you're eating type deal.

Today for lunch I had a seven lettuce salad with tomatoes,
eggs, cheese, etc and a parmesan peppercorn dressing.

And after that I made a sandwhich on a sub with shredded lettuce
muenster cheese, turkey and ham, with a home made mayo.

Pretty plain today and alot of lettuce which I don't always care for,
I'm not a salad type of person unless there is chicken or some substance!

Did you eat anything good today?
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
sandra

Postby greeney2 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:52 pm

Last night I BBQed a Turkey Breast, marinated in Costco Yoshida sause and lawrys seasoning salt. Got a great deal, managers special, $4 for it. I also did store bought corn, and squash from our garden on the BBQ, plus we did sweet potato in the oven. I never really thought about turkey on the BBQ until last year and loved it. Tired of the same old things,I've also bought Turkey thiegs to BBQ, I like turkey dark meat.

I watched Elton Brown one night and got a really great BBQ tip, that I tried and been doing it on everything I BBQ. I have a propane BBQ. I warm it up, and have the burner on high. You put the meat on the grill for 2 minutes right over the burner. After 2 minutes turn it exactly 90 degrees for another 2 minutes(same side). Flip it over and go for another 2 minutes, turning it exactly 90 degrees again for 2 more minutes, 8 minutes total. That sears the outside, and makes those perfect grill marks on the outside, that look really professional. After that turn the burner down to low and move the meat off to the side, so it is not right above the flame. Elton actually did pork chops and they were done after the 8 minutes, but they must have been thinner. He did say that modern Pork does not have the risk nowadays, becasue of the way they are fed, but I still have a problem with any pink showing in pork. the process of the 2 minute thing, I;ve done on several different meats, and it works perfect. After reducing the heat and slow cooking til done, the searing locks in the juices. So far I have not dried out anything or overcooked. I used to start on a low flame, placing the meat away from the flame, but without searing the meat, you dry it out. This process is a lot different for me, right above the flame, but so far has worked great. You have to keep an eye on it, but so far really improved my grilling.

Great subject Sandra, user friendly! :D Anyone that wants to argue on this one deserves to choke on their chicken bones. :lol:
greeney2

Postby greeney2 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:06 pm

Tonight we had one of those preprepared Bertoli pasta dinners than come in a bag frozen. I;ve tried several brands, Viola is usually only $3.99 on sale, TGI Fridays or Bertolli is around 5.99 on sales. I passed on PF change it was 7.99 on sale. They are perfect size for 2 people. We tried the Bertoli Garlic shrimp with asparagas in Penne Pasta and oven dried tomatos. You cook them on a stovetop in a skillet, and they only take 7-8 minutes. Mrs G2 is great at adding a few things and kicking them up a few knotchs, but you can't beat them for cost, and how quick and easy they are to make. All the brands we have tried have been very good. You find them in the frozen foods sections of most markets, usually they are all togather, and seem to always be on sale, and always seem to have coupons for them.
greeney2

Postby sandra » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:22 pm

greeney wrote:Anyone that wants to argue on this one deserves to choke on their chicken bones.

:lol: LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Now what is a costco yoshida sauce?

I love squash, especially acorn squash, I cut it in half, throw it in the oven with maple syrup and butter, sometimes even
a bit of brown sugar. It never fails, when something is meant to be healthy...

Turkey on the grill huh, wow- I've never done something like a turkey on the grill.
I'm not much of a grill master though, my steaks are good, but infact you would never want to try my chicken
on the grill, you end up eating a chunk of charbroiled ,,,,something,,, but it doesn't
work out. So if you know something I don't about chicken on the grill let me know!:P

And I had to start this thread, might give eachother ideas or just make us eat alot more, either way I hope we can't go wrong with food.
memory works both ways.”
sandra

Postby sandra » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:26 pm

Hey greeney I've tryed the TGI fridays ones, one of the shrimp and penne something, has a bit of a kick to it, and they usually go for about 7.99, and I can eat a whole skillet to myself. :mrgreen: Sometimes I see them on sale for 5.99 or a bit higher, but I liked the one kind I've tryed, problem is now I always buy the same kind since I know I already like it, next time I'll try a different one!
memory works both ways.”
sandra

Postby sandra » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:28 pm

Oh and tonight I had meatballs with a chilli and crannberry sauce.
Doesn't sound good but it is. I usually make them for a snack when the
Vikes are playing. Its just plain meatballs cooked with one jar of chilli sauce and
one jar of crannberry sauce added mixed and heated, they're good!
memory works both ways.”
sandra

Postby greeney2 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:47 pm

Out in California we have a member stores called Costco, they merged with what used to be the Price Club. Pretty sure the sause is one of their brand names. I think Walmarts had member clubs called Sam's Club, but think they are gone now. Anyway yoshida sause is about like terriaki. I have not used that process I talked about on chicken with skin, so you may have to be careful about flaring it up. We usually buy skinless/boneless chicken breasts when we get them. The turkey breast had the skin, but I didn;t have any trouble flaring it up. I think the 2 minute limit doesn;t give it the time to flare up, and after that you turn the flame down. If you are having trouble with flare ups, and burning, a spray bottle of water is always handy to have near.

I could easily eat one of the bags alone, but they seem to be just about right for two, and when its gone, you don;t have seconds. thats my problem, it there is seconds, I'll eat them, and these allow you to control calories. The Bertoli's are a little more fat and calories than the Viola brand. Trader Joes if you have those stores in Minnesota also have a lot of frozen calorie minded things, that are perfect for 2 people.
greeney2

Postby sandra » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:12 pm

Good tips!! I think I need to shorten time intervals as well. But when I have steak on the grill it doesn't stay on long! Yep I've had trouble in the past with flare ups and have never kept a water
bottle near by, at times I've thought I could use a fire extinguisher. :lol: ;)

A terriyaki grilled turkey, I'm jealous!!

And we still have Sams Club around here, they have some of the best buys-
a little off topic and you most likely won't care about this greeney but for the women
that might read this, Sams club has the best shampoo! Its their brand. I will admit in the past I have spent near $60.00 for shampoo, my hair is super thick and sometimes uncontrollable, my mother wanted me to try this shampoo, however she told me the cost for it was only 6 dollars combined for a GIANT bottle of shampoo and conditioner so I was very skeptical it would work at all, or even worse than my better brands that fill my shelves. I could not believe how awesome this shampoo was, serisously more than 100% better than anything I have ever tryed and will most likely never use anything else, its a complete difference!!!!!!!

I'll have to check around, I have never seen or heard of Trader Joes. hmm
And you are like me, if there are leftovers they end up gone!!!
I've been awful lately, to the point that I can eat and eat and I don't
get full. I was partially raised that way, my family, we don't eat to eat,
we eat to get uncomfortably stuffed... and when others come to eat with us
they end up no different. People don't shut up if they think you haven't had
enough to eat.
memory works both ways.”
sandra

Postby BloodStone » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:26 am

Damn , I have sooo many recipies

I just don't have time for this thread right now. :lol:

BloodStone...
If it were raining hookers, I'd get hit by a fag.
BloodStone

Postby The_Joker » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:21 am

Me, I'm having a glass of water and a quiet look around.

Because I am flat out like a Goanna drinkin.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Woohahahahahahahahaha
Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...
The_Joker

Next

Return to The "Off-Topic" Members Lounge

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts