The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

The Bible ~ spiritually inspired?

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby rath » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:12 am

The Book Of Leviticus:

1 Yahweh spoke to Moses and said:

2 'Say to the Israelites: "Anyone, be he Israelite or alien resident in Israel, who gives any of his children to Molech, will be put to death. The people of the country must stone him,

3 and I shall set my face against that man and outlaw him from his people; for by giving a child of his to Molech he has defiled my sanctuary and profaned my holy name.

4 If the people of the country choose to close their eyes to the man's action when he gives a child of his to Molech, and do not put him to death,

5 I myself shall turn my face against that man and his clan. I shall outlaw them from their people, both him and all those after him who prostitute themselves by following Molech.

6 "If anyone has recourse to the spirits of the dead or to magicians, to prostitute himself by following them, I shall set my face against him and outlaw him from his people.

7 "Sanctify yourselves and be holy, for I am Yahweh your God.

8 "You will keep my laws and put them into practice, for it is I, Yahweh, who make you holy.

9 Hence: "Anyone who curses father or mother will be put to death. Having cursed father or mother, the blood will be on that person's own head.

10 "The man who commits adultery with his neighbour's wife will be put to death, he and the woman.

11 "The man who has intercourse with his father's wife has infringed his father's sexual prerogative. Both of them will be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

12 "The man who has intercourse with his daughter-in-law: both of them will be put to death; they have violated nature, their blood will be on their own heads.

13 "The man who has intercourse with a man in the same way as with a woman: they have done a hateful thing together; they will be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

14 "The man who marries a woman and her mother: this is incest. They will be burnt alive, he and they; you will not tolerate incest.

15 "The man who has intercourse with an animal will be put to death; you will kill the animal too.

16 "The woman who approaches any animal to have intercourse with it: you will kill the woman and the animal. They will be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

17 "The man who marries his father's or his mother's daughter: if they have intercourse together, this is an outrage. They will be executed in public, for the man has had intercourse with his sister; he will bear the consequences of his guilt.

18 "The man who has intercourse with a woman during her monthly periods and exposes her nakedness: he has laid bare the source of her blood, and she has exposed the source of her blood, and both of them will be outlawed from their people.

19 "You will not have intercourse with your mother's sister or your father's sister. Whoever does so, has had intercourse with a close relation; they will bear the consequences of their guilt.

20 "The man who has intercourse with the wife of his paternal uncle has infringed his uncle's sexual prerogative; they will bear the consequences of their guilt and die childless.

21 "The man who marries his brother's wife: this is pollution; he has infringed his brother's sexual prerogative; they will die childless.

22 "You will keep all my laws, all my decisions, and put them into practice, so that the country where I am taking you to live will not vomit you out.

23 You will not follow the laws of the nations whom I am driving out before you; they practised all these things, which is why I detested them.

24 As I have already told you, you will take possession of their soil, I myself shall give you possession of it, a country flowing with milk and honey. "Since I, Yahweh your God, have set you apart from these peoples,

25 you for your part will make a distinction between clean animals and unclean ones and between unclean birds and clean ones, and will not make yourselves detestable with any animal or bird or reptile, which I have set apart from you as unclean.

26 "Be consecrated to me, for I, Yahweh, am holy, and I shall set you apart from all these peoples, for you to be mine.

27 "Any man or woman of yours who is a necromancer or magician will be put to death; they will be stoned to death; their blood will be on their own heads." '

King James Bible has changed the Gospel & thus changed the word of god. http://www.bible-history.com/kjv/Leviticus/20/
rath

Postby rath » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:19 am

Chapter 21.

Yahweh said to Moses: 'Speak to the priests descended from Aaron and say: "None of them must make himself unclean by touching the corpse of one of his people,

2 unless it be of one of his closest relations-father, mother, son, daughter, brother,

3 or virgin sister, since she being unmarried is still his close relation: he can make himself unclean for her;

4 but for a close female relation who is married he will not make himself unclean; he would profane himself.

5 "They will not make tonsures on their heads, shave the edges of their beards, or gash their bodies.

6 They will be consecrated to their God and will not profane the name of their God. For their function is to offer the food burnt for Yahweh, the food of their God, and so they must be holy.

7 "They will not marry a woman profaned by prostitution, or one divorced by her husband, for the priest is consecrated to his God.

8 "You will treat him as holy, for he offers the food of your God. For you, he will be a holy person, for I, Yahweh, who sanctify you, am holy.

9 "If a priest's daughter profanes herself by prostitution, she profanes her father and will be burnt alive.

10 "The priest who is pre-eminent over his brothers, on whose head the anointing oil has been poured, and who, robed in the sacred vestments, has received investiture, will not disorder his hair or tear his clothes;

11 he will not go near any corpse or make himself unclean even for his father or mother.

12 He will not leave the holy place in such a way as to profane the sanctuary of his God; for he bears the consecration of the anointing oil of his God. I am Yahweh.

13 "He will marry a woman who is still a virgin.

14 He will not marry a woman who has been widowed or divorced or profaned by prostitution, but will marry a virgin from his own people:

15 he must not make his own children profane, for I, Yahweh, have sanctified him." '

16 Yahweh spoke to Moses and said:

17 'Speak to Aaron and say: "None of your descendants, for all time, may come forward to offer the food of his God if he has any infirmity,

18 for none may come forward if he has an infirmity, be he blind or lame, disfigured or deformed,

19 or with an injured foot or arm,

20 a hunchback, someone with rickets or ophthalmia or the scab or running sores, or a eunuch.

21 No descendant of the priest Aaron may come forward to offer the food burnt for Yahweh if he has any infirmity; if he has an infirmity, he will not come forward to offer the food of his God.

22 "He may eat the food of his God, things especially holy and things holy,

23 but he will not go near the curtain or approach the altar, since he has an infirmity and must not profane my holy things; for I, Yahweh, have sanctified them." '

24 And Moses promulgated this to Aaron, to his sons, and to all the Israelites.
rath

Postby at1with0 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:33 pm

Leviticus is most of the reason why I stopped being a Christian years ago.

There are people here who say that God does talk back when we pray to it and that in order to discern whether or not the message is authentically of God, we must gauge its authenticity by comparing it to Biblical stricture (oops, I meant scripture :oops: )

My question is what gauge did the authors of the Bible have to test the authenticity of what they received?
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby sandra » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:06 am

at1with0 wrote:Leviticus is most of the reason why I stopped being a Christian years ago.

There are people here who say that God does talk back when we pray to it and that in order to discern whether or not the message is authentically of God, we must gauge its authenticity by comparing it to Biblical stricture (oops, I meant scripture :oops: )

My question is what gauge did the authors of the Bible have to test the authenticity of what they received?

You are not going to know that if you sit idle at maximum capacity.
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
sandra

Postby at1with0 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:52 am

sandra wrote:
at1with0 wrote:My question is what gauge did the authors of the Bible have to test the authenticity of what they received?
You are not going to know that if you sit idle at maximum capacity.

What do you mean? If I wasn't idle (in whatever sense you might have meant), I would then know the answer to my question? I already might know: the answer is that they had no such gauge, had no assurance that they were properly translating what they were receiving. That in itself doesn't mean mistranslation but it does make the whole thing tenuous.

I'm waiting for someone who believes differently to explain why they think that and, moreover, how they know differently.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby shadowcass » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:03 am

The King James Bible did not change the word of God, you know. But there is a confusion out there that I have been trying to clear up for people for many years.
Christianity is NOT a "continuation" of Judaism. It does not follow on FROM Judaism.
God made a covenant with Abraham and his descendents. That covenant is not with any other people of any other nation.
Jesus made a new covenant with the world.
Even the “Ten Commandments” so beloved of Christians, consider how it begins: (Exodus Chapter 20 first verse): “Then God spoke all these words:
2 I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery; 3you shall have no other gods before me. ”
He is talking to THOSE PEOPLE ALONE…the People He brought out of Egypt (and their descendents).

This is part of the confusion that persists to this day (and was not helped by well-meaning Gospel writers like Matthew and Luke who wrote out Genealogies trying to prove that Jesus was the looked for Messiah. He WASN’T).
“Huh?” I hear you say.
No. Jesus was NOT the Messiah. The Messiah foretold to the Nation of Israel is still to come. Christian Theologians have been trying to twist this ever since but Jesus does not fulfill the prophecies concerning the Messiah. FIRST of all, the Messiah must be a descendent of David the King. Jesus wasn’t.
JOSEPH was (although the two genealogies differ slightly on the line of descent), but Joseph was not His father.
Jesus was something very different. Something unlooked for. He came to make a NEW covenant with all the peoples of the world. A Covenant different from the First. A Covenant that does not require keeping a bunch of rules and regulations but which is based on Grace (unmerited favor FROM God) and Faith (perfect trust IN God…the kind of trust a little child has in its parents).
Hence the confusion. Preachers quote all kinds of passages where Jesus appears to be confirming the LAW but what He is doing is AFFIRMING that the Original Covenant is still in force for God’s Chosen People. It still works and always will—it is eternal just as God is eternal. BUT there is also this New Covenant (the teaching of which He will eventually entrust to Paul—His Chosen Emissary to the non-Jew—mistakenly translated as “Gentiles” in the New Testament. The Latin word “gentilis” merely means a relative bearing the same name as you. Someone of the same clan.).
Can a Jew take advantage of the New Covenant? Most certainly (after all, the first Christians had bEEN Jewish). But they are not required to.
shadowcass

Postby qmark » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:17 pm

at1with0 wrote:the answer is that they had no such gauge, had no assurance that they were properly translating what they were receiving. That in itself doesn't mean mistranslation but it does make the whole thing tenuous.

In my opinion (I want to stress the word...opinion), God communicated with His chosen people differently in the Old Testament as He did in the New Testament as He does today. Back then, he communicated visually and audibly. There really was no guesswork, mistranslation was not an issue. In fact, when He audibly spoke to all the children of Israel they were scared to death. They told Moses to speak to God for them and just relay the message.
qmark

Postby qmark » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:25 pm

shadowcass wrote:The King James Bible did not change the word of God, you know. But there is a confusion out there that I have been trying to clear up for people for many years.
Christianity is NOT a "continuation" of Judaism. It does not follow on FROM Judaism.
God made a covenant with Abraham and his descendents. That covenant is not with any other people of any other nation.
Jesus made a new covenant with the world.
Even the “Ten Commandments” so beloved of Christians, consider how it begins: (Exodus Chapter 20 first verse): “Then God spoke all these words:
2 I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery; 3you shall have no other gods before me. ”
He is talking to THOSE PEOPLE ALONE…the People He brought out of Egypt (and their descendents).

This is part of the confusion that persists to this day (and was not helped by well-meaning Gospel writers like Matthew and Luke who wrote out Genealogies trying to prove that Jesus was the looked for Messiah. He WASN’T).
“Huh?” I hear you say.
No. Jesus was NOT the Messiah. The Messiah foretold to the Nation of Israel is still to come. Christian Theologians have been trying to twist this ever since but Jesus does not fulfill the prophecies concerning the Messiah. FIRST of all, the Messiah must be a descendent of David the King. Jesus wasn’t.
JOSEPH was (although the two genealogies differ slightly on the line of descent), but Joseph was not His father.
Jesus was something very different. Something unlooked for. He came to make a NEW covenant with all the peoples of the world. A Covenant different from the First. A Covenant that does not require keeping a bunch of rules and regulations but which is based on Grace (unmerited favor FROM God) and Faith (perfect trust IN God…the kind of trust a little child has in its parents).
Hence the confusion. Preachers quote all kinds of passages where Jesus appears to be confirming the LAW but what He is doing is AFFIRMING that the Original Covenant is still in force for God’s Chosen People. It still works and always will—it is eternal just as God is eternal. BUT there is also this New Covenant (the teaching of which He will eventually entrust to Paul—His Chosen Emissary to the non-Jew—mistakenly translated as “Gentiles” in the New Testament. The Latin word “gentilis” merely means a relative bearing the same name as you. Someone of the same clan.).
Can a Jew take advantage of the New Covenant? Most certainly (after all, the first Christians had bEEN Jewish). But they are not required to.

Sounds like duel covenant theology to me.
qmark

Postby shadowcass » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Oh, there are many more than two, my friend. Those who truly seek communion with God always find Him. And there are as many ways to get to Him as there are people who seek.
People ask "Which is the TRUE Religion?"
The true religion is the one that speaks to your heart, the one that resonates within you and leads you to God.

For some it is Judaism, for others Christianity (in all its various sects and forms), for others it is Islam. But as it is written "seek and you shall find".

Follow your bliss.
shadowcass

Postby qmark » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:58 pm

Respectfully, I disagree.
qmark

Next

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts