The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Health & Health Hazards

Small Soda/Food Taxes Not Enough To Curb Obesity

Stay healthy and stay tuned to the most recent developments in Health watch.

Postby Aquarian » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:06 pm

ATLANTA — Small taxes on soda do little to reduce soft drink consumption or prevent childhood obesity, but larger levies probably would, according to new research.

The study is being released as a recent wave of proposals would raise soda taxes or create new ones on sugared beverages. But they'll have to be a lot steeper than current taxes, which are generally 4 percent or less, said Roland Sturm, lead author of the new research.

"Small taxes will not prevent obesity," said Sturm, a senior economist at the Rand Corp. in Santa Monica, Calif.

Sturm and his colleagues used information from a 2004 national survey of about 7,300 fifth-graders. The researchers looked at how the children's height and weight had changed over the previous two years and how often the kids said they drank soda and sports drinks. The researchers also reviewed taxes on carbonated drinks that were in effect in 2004.

Roughly two-thirds of the children lived in states that had a tax on soda greater than on other food items. The highest was 7 cents tax on each dollar's worth of soda. The average was about 4 cents.

They found the taxes made no real difference on overall soda consumption or on obesity for kids overall. They did have a small effect on certain children – especially those from families with an annual income of $25,000 or less. Those kids – who drank about seven cans of soda a week, on average – drank one less can because of the taxes, Sturm said.

However, if the taxes were more like 18 cents on the dollar, Sturm calculated it would make a significant difference.

The research is being published online Thursday in the journal Health Affairs. The Rand study was funded by the federal government and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.

Most states exempt grocery food from sales taxes. But in recent years, candy and soft drinks have been increasingly targeted, either through a tax or removal of an existing sales tax exemption.

The children in the study were from 40 states, 20 of which had soda taxes when the study was done.

More than 30 states have some form of soda tax today, averaging about 5 cents per dollar of soda.

In the last month, Colorado removed a 3 percent sales tax exemption for candy and soda. Philadelphia's mayor proposed a 2 cents-per-ounce tax on sugary drinks, which would add 24 cents to the price of a can of Coke.

Most of the taxes tend to be enough to bring in some extra money for struggling state budgets, but small enough not to rile soda manufacturers or significantly change buying habits, said Kelly Brownell, director of Yale University's Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity.

"Taxes have to be large enough to affect consumption," said Brownell, who has called for a tax as high as 12 percent.

But most people don't want their soda taxed, according to the American Beverage Association, which represents soda manufacturers.

Association officials noted that Maine voters last fall rejected a soda tax. And in a press release last week, the organization pointed to a recent survey of 1,000 U.S. adults by Rasmussen Reports that found 56 percent of Americans are against taxes on candy and soda.

The beverage association did not pay for the telephone survey, said Debra Falk, a spokeswomen for the polling firm.

The Rand study confirms that small taxes on soda don't reduce obesity, and offers no evidence that larger taxes would do any better, said Christopher Gindlesperger, spokesman for beverage association.

"Taxes don't work. What does work is balancing the diet and exercise," he said.

___

On the Net:

Health Affairs soda tax study: http://content.healthaffairs.org/cgi/co ... 009.0061v1
The Few assume to be the deputies, but they are often only the despoilers of the Many.
Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
Aquarian

Postby Nesaie » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:12 pm

"Small taxes will not prevent obesity," said Sturm, a senior economist at the Rand Corp. in Santa Monica, Calif.

What does an economist know about nutrition?

Give me a break!

I have solutions to stop obesity. Stop drinking rbGH milk. Stop eating GMO food. Grow your own. It is amazing how much raw organic food actually fill a person up.

Don't eat anything with GMO high fructoce corn syrup!!!!! That includes pop/soda, ketchup, etc. Read the labels.
Such a society would be dominated by an elite, unrestrained by traditional values. Soon it will be possible to assert almost continuous surveillance over every citizen... - Zbigniew Brezhinsky
Nesaie

Postby Aquarian » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:49 am

Nesaie wrote:

What does an economist know about nutrition?

Give me a break!

I have solutions to stop obesity. Stop drinking rbGH milk. Stop eating GMO food. Grow your own. It is amazing how much raw organic food actually fill a person up.

Don't eat anything with GMO high fructoce corn syrup!!!!! That includes pop/soda, ketchup, etc. Read the labels.

+1 ;)
The Few assume to be the deputies, but they are often only the despoilers of the Many.
Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
Aquarian

Postby Nesaie » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:43 pm

Ooh, I have to tell you Aquarian, I started a garden this year. :D

It's at my boyfriend's place, 'cause he has the space for it. I'm doing the square foot garden system and trying to do a bit of companion planting with it. I was having an issue with slugs, but since we put down the copper, I haven't seen a slug on the plants. I'm not sure if the tomato or pepper are going to make it. We've had a lot of rain. But, the corn, beans and peas are doing great so far. I've seen a couple of lady bugs and a garter snake and a ton of bees and a ton of worms. :D

When the slugs were showing up, I'd pick them off and throw them by the pond so the frogs could eat them. I feel bad using salt. I tried beer, saw a slug drinking it, but it didn't drown. :( I got a slug drunk. :lol: I even tried egg shells, but that didn't stop the slugs. Definitely use copper to protect from slugs.

Later in the season I have to worry about the deer. :( I've read about using human hair, but so many people dye their hair...do you know what kind of crap they put in that? Ugh, it's ugly. I have a couple of mint plants and lavender, which are supposed to be deer "deterrents", but they can jump over those. He has a dog that barks at critters. That is supposed to help. I'm going to have to try the egg/water spray on the leaves and see if the smell will keep them away. Oh, I also urinate out there after it rains.

The problem is, the garden is right by a critter trail. It gets the most sun. Down at the bottom of the trail is a creek that is a watering hole for all the critters in the neighborhood. For the time being, deer have lot's of food choices. Later in the year, as that diminishes, the garden is going to be coming into it's peak. That is when it's going to be very attractive to the deer.

Oh, and there is no need to state the obvious, but it is totally organic.;) I can't wait to be able to walk out and open peas and eat them fresh from the garden. :D As a matter of fact, that is the only way I eat peas, otherwise they're nasty. I should have planted more peas. Oh well, maybe next year.
Such a society would be dominated by an elite, unrestrained by traditional values. Soon it will be possible to assert almost continuous surveillance over every citizen... - Zbigniew Brezhinsky
Nesaie

Postby soespo » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:27 pm

Square foot garden system? I'll have to look that up. I don't have much space for a garden. Anyway, I have to wonder what they're thinking? Soda is just as bad as most juice products out there, and sugar is in things people aren't even aware of...breads, salad dressings, peanut butter, yogurt, etc. I think the most important thing is education and people taking responsibility for their own health. Or, instead of a tax, how about a health insurance discount for being within normal weight range? Positive reinforcement always works better.
Image Image "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source
of all true art and all science." - Albert Einstein
soespo

Postby Nesaie » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:04 pm

Hey soespo, good to meet you and welcome. :D

I just read the ingredients on a bologna package and the second or third ingredient was corn syrup. :o

If you're interested in square foot gardening just startpage.com it. There are videos out there about the originators. I've also found videos about companion planting. Look for the ones from India. They have a long history of farming, we in the US have lost our old wisdom.

Basically, square foot gardening starts with a 4/4' box that is 6" high. Fill it with 1/3 compost, 1/3 vermiculite and 1/3 something else. I forget, since I just used my boyfriend's dirt which used to have horses on it and lots of nature. So, there are lot's of worms in it and lots of composted material, some from horse excrement.

Watch out for the slugs! I've tried the beer and the eggshells. Now I'm doing copper, we'll see. They already killed my sunflower. :(

Soda is just as bad as most juice products out there, and sugar is in things people aren't even aware of...breads, salad dressings, peanut butter, yogurt, etc.

Yup, I actually make my own salad dressing. I use one part organic raw honey, one part organic mustard (usually a tablespoon or so) and enough organic olive oil to blend it together. Often I like to add organic apple cider vinegar, it helps to break up the raw honey. I also often add in flax or hemp oil for the omega 3s. I also made my own ranch dressing by first making homemade mayo and then blending it with buttermilk and a few spices/herbs. I prefer the honey mustard dressing, it lasts longer. You can make your own ketchup too. :D

Are you familiar with these websites?

http://www.mercola.com/

http://naturalnews.com/

http://www.westonaprice.org/

http://www.organicconsumers.org/
Nesaie

Postby soespo » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:10 pm

Wow, thanks! You're just a wealth of information...nice to meet ya! :D I'm going to go peruse the links now. Hopefully I can find info on how to grow in our weather, too. I tried tomatoes and lavendar-both fried in the heat here in FL! I would love to make my own ketchup and tomato sauce. I just buy the sugar free stuff now, but fresh from my own tomatoes would be yummy.
Image Image "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source
of all true art and all science." - Albert Einstein
soespo

Postby Nesaie » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:17 am

Here is a recipe for homemade ketchup: http://wewantorganicfood.com/2009/03/24 ... c-ketchup/

You can make your own ketchup by pealing/seeding the tomatoes and boiling them down to make the tomato paste.

If you're staying away from sugar, there are a couple of natural alternatives I like, xylitol and stevia. Xylitol comes from a tree in Europe and acts exactly like sugar, except it is good for your teeth and diabetics can use it. The only cautionary note there is to not eat too much, it can give you the runs. Don't use it in coffee, trust me. Stevia comes from a plant in South America. Like the fake sweeteners it is sweeter than sugar and when baking with it, it reacts very different from sugar. Diabetics can also use stevia.

The fake sweeteners cause diseases. Aspartame is especially bad. It was only legalized when Rumsfeld, who had worked at the corporation that invented it, was brought into the Reagan administration. That crap will kill you, slowly and painfully. That was around the same era that stevia was made "illegal" by the fda. I suppose Rummy had to kill his competition. Stevia is now "legal" but they can't call it a sweetener. Where else, but in the US, would we make a natural plant extract illegal and killer chemicals legal to ingest? This world is twisted.

Oh yeah, there is a pop out there called Zevia that uses stevia rather than the GMO high fructose corn syrup like coke and pepsi.
Nesaie

Postby sandra » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:43 am

hmmm, there is some great information in here, just looked over the organic consumer site.
I've never used fake sweetners, as Ive known they only do more damage, but I'm interested in using an alternative, however, not if it doesn't work good in Coffee, I'm not for having the runs. Have you tryed Zevia, Nesaie? The homemade ketchup even sounds better, as far as salad dressings, I usually eat plain vegetables, or with a vinegar olive oil Italian dressing.

But I should definitely try to make more of an effort to eat organic.
And curb my Pepsi/Coke addiction.
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
sandra

Postby Nesaie » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:11 pm

I do drink Zevia once in a while. I like the lemon/lime and the rootbeer flavored ones. I haven't tried the cola, but my boyfriend didn't like the cola.

You can also make your own ginger ale. It not only tastes good, if you like ginger, but you can regulate how much sugar you use. Ginger is a natural anti-biotic and prevents disease. Here is a recipe:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Lacto-f ... inger-Ale/

I use stevia mainly to sweeten tea, or sometimes raw honey. I use xylitol on berries to put on top of pancakes. I also bake with xylitol. I use sugar too.

The first step is to read labels. I was reading a label for peanuts. It had soy protein and lot's of chemicals. I don't understand why. So, I found raw peanuts in the baking section and that label read, "raw peanuts", that was it. I bought those instead. Every time you read a package remember that the majority of corn, soy, and canola are GMO. All packaged foods have some combination of those, either corn syrup, soy protein, canola oil, or corn oil. Also know that GMO foods cause diseases in lab animals. If something is labeled organic, it cannot use GMO anything.
Nesaie

Return to Health & Health Hazards

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts