The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Scientific Discoveries and Advancements

Alternative Futures 2.1

The newest revelations in the scientific world -- post articles, discussions and your own ideas.

Postby Aquatank » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:36 am

I'm not sure what to think of this video, I'm not just looking at this a global pollutant issue but as a social issue as well.
http://www.commondreams.org/video/2010/07/06-0

Firstly because I'm not fond of the 1960s counter culture, so I have that bias built in. But also because IMO the 1960s counter culture failed in many aspects while other aspects had some impact. But the video is right in how business was able to undermine the counter culture and mainstream it. The solution of open source networking proposed is something I find appealing, but I also realize such a swarm tactic has the same vulnerability as the 1960s in the threat of big business undermining and adapting to any movement. This presents a paradox:, a sucessful movement for change needs to reject much of consumerism but is also to some degree dependent on consumerism for the change. Furthermore comes the reality check lack of consumerism causes economic downturns more often than stability. While the main value of economics in consumerism is persistent economic upward movement such movement is the antithesis of recyclable resources, example: E-waste and oil. IMO the only solution is to find a way to build a line of stability where the recycling and production are better matched to close the system more, closing it entirely is IMO impossible.

I see a few hurdles in reducing consumerism

1) Electronics and our addiction and need for them

2) Petroleum and our addiction and need for for it.

To this end renewable energy non-polluting or severly reduced impact sources are of vital importance.

The fossil fuel issue is not going away, as easily petrochemicals & carbons are a raw material not just a fuel sources but with proper handling the can be geared soley to raw material production thusly reducing the need for as much of them and their pollutant. The way to do this is re-organize the methods of transport globally, IMO opinion this means no more jets, and large steam ships but a movement to solar powered & battery powered blimps and sailing vessels, and more transport by solar driven trains.

But then the problem arises, the big hurdle the "gotta have it now" attititude of the consumer, and thats goings to be atoughie to get around.
The fact is electricity is the major tool of our civilization, and for all intents and purposes is what humanity has replaced fire with. So we must determine the best ways to produce it.
Aquatank

Postby Aquatank » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:53 am

Drop the diesel engine in favor of a rigid sail with solar cells inbedded in it and this boat might have real prospects especially if a rechargable version of the device below comes along.
http://www.mal-vi.com/index.php?/projec ... al-design/

The Ultra battery may soon be on its way.
http://inhabitat.com/2010/07/06/ultra-b ... ore-134442
Aquatank

Postby Aquatank » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:49 pm

Okay folks this is it the cost of Enhanced Geothermal Systems for the USA. For a long 30000 Years of non polluting, non nuclear fission, non-fossil fuel power a 3 Billion Dollar investment could bring the cost of enhanced geothermal electricity down to the same as Coal. Yep thats the cost of about 4 Northrop B-2 Spirits or 1/28th the cost of 1 year of the Iraq War we'd have something better than coal or fission and could go totally green on electricity generation as afar as replacing current systems go.
http://solveclimate.com/blog/20090724/r ... -3-billion
Aquatank

Postby Aquatank » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:33 pm

A new HAWT wind turbine farm design that works sort of like a magnifying lens could boost wind turbine power 3x.
http://inhabitat.com/2010/08/02/wind-le ... ore-145115
Aquatank

Postby sandra » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:39 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-10881080

A poo powered VW Beetle. Waste from 70 households= 10,000 miles. :mrgreen:
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
sandra

Postby Aquatank » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:17 pm

A cluster of 52 homes in Germany is producing 4x times their electricity usage from roof mounted solar panels.
http://inhabitat.com/2010/08/16/sonnens ... -it-needs/

Note: Europeans conserve more electricity than Americans so estimate maybe 2x in America or break even.
Aquatank

Postby Aquatank » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:12 am

Okay this is something interesting on the Hydrogen fuel side. I currently put hydrogen as an alternative source but not best as compared to other electrical of energy storage. Still its better than gasoline. What we have here is an Italian hydrogen fueling station. Wow that thing is small for all the work it does, but how much of a work load can it really handle is what I am wondering. How long does a car need to be hooked up and that kind of thing.
http://inhabitat.com/2010/08/26/italy-t ... ore-153840
Aquatank

Postby sandra » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:04 pm

It definitely looks interesting, wouldn't it be nice to just have one right out on our driveways, just pay a bill and you're good to go. Probably not realistic. :mrgreen:
memory works both ways.”
sandra

Postby Aquatank » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:24 am

Actually that's not too far fetched. The solar panel c/would convert the water to hydrogen until the underground storage tank was full and then switch power to the house, any unused going to the power company for your discounts and rebates.

BUT like I said I'm not overly fond of hydrogen anymore, that conversion process takes alot of energy that could easily be used to charge an electricl storage device, yes at the moment its quicker but that charge time will become narrower over time. If we put aside hydrogen flammability issue because its something that can be dealt with we get a different problem, pollution. Thats right we introduce an exhaust pollutant, that pollutant is water vapor. Liquid water isn't a problem, but vaporized it enters the atmosphere directly and could cause problems. But the possibility exists that the car-pump system could become relatively closed looped with a water condenser reintroducing exhaust water into the pumps water conversion tank at every fill up. But its still a very wasteful use of energy compared to other means.

From page 1
Energy Recovery Efficiencies:
Flywheel 90%
Electrochemical 70%
Hydrogen 42% (projected estimate)
Gasoline 18%

Thats old data some batteries have actually increased their efficiency since then. like lithium ion battery has a recovery efficiency of 95% (at start), the old nickel cadmium 80%, if there was a way of maintaining the super cold temperature needed we could get 95% from Superconducting Magnetic Energy Storage (SMES) systems.
Aquatank

Postby sandra » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:58 am

And Italy is starting to use these more and more. I think it was Italy what the article said. They look sheek though, no wonder. :mrgreen:

Well how far away do you think we are from getting away from gasoline when considering automotive use? Possibly within the next couple years?

Hey if you have time can you check out the thread in general discussions and give some input if you have any you could share. Bionic started a thread, and I've been curious about these plug in bikes that as you ride and can generate electricity, how much electricity do they actually help generate etc.
memory works both ways.”
sandra

PreviousNext

Return to Scientific Discoveries and Advancements

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts