The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

So, how about that oil spill....

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby Island_Girl » Sat May 29, 2010 12:16 am

I live pretty close to Grand Isle, La. and Obama
did visit yesterday. Of course we hope things will
get better but lets face it, the oil is already in our
marshes and covering our Pelicans and killing
other birds and critters. My backyard is a canal
and I love the water and birds, ducks, etc. We are already
smelling the oil some days and I am afraid if the booms
don't hold back the oil and it gets in Lake Pontchartain,
then it will get in my canal. We lost everthing in Katrina
and built back...now this. If you read the posts by locals
at the end of this article you'll get a feeling of how things
are in these parts. Say some prayers for us please.

p.s. I see the comments by locals don't show up,
they did when I posted it else where. Oh well,
they were quite colorful as people in my area
are very creative in voicing their opinions, lol

http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill ... nt_in.html
Island_Girl

Postby Questioner101 » Sat May 29, 2010 9:58 am

Was very worried about how it's affecting you Island Girl....wish there was more that could be done....but the "big oil" companies rule the world...unfortunately, and don't seem to be held accountable for what they inflict. Animals always seem to be the last on the totem pole to be cared for.
"I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request."
Questioner101

Postby rath » Sat May 29, 2010 10:52 am

greeney2 wrote:That lack of morality, comes from the top of all these companies. They buy and sell divisions with the people in them, with no regard to their fate. They violate safety rules and ride the fine line of just complying with regulations. They have no regard for the long term concern of this earth. Didn;t the CEO of BP already bail out and quit? These people are all the same, walking out on resonsibility, and not caring when they take their $50M bonuses when they quit.

Ninor wrote:As to the fate of BP ... I think the Corporation should have all it's assets seized, then be disincorporated/dissolved. Then, all the proceeds from the liquidation of it's assets should be put in a public trust and used to clean up the mess that it's negligence has caused to the environment and loss of livelihood of the thousands of people who will be affected by this spill for decades to come.

Don't be so naive !!!

Do you not think that the government's / countries that have been approving these mining & petroleum operations, for no other reason, then so they can collect the huge royalties that come with ..........

Bear any responsibility at all ???

Moral or otherwise.

If governments weren't so eager to get their hands on the royalties in the first place!

Then maybe there would be more Government / union oversight, and mining collapse & environmental disasters would be less common.

Governments are just as guilty as the big mining / oil companys.

After all, they both have a common goal.

Oh yhe ...

Ninor wrote:As to the fate of BP ... I think the Corporation should have all it's assets seized, then be disincorporated/dissolved. Then, all the proceeds from the liquidation of it's assets should be put in a public trust and used to clean up the mess that it's negligence has caused to the environment and loss of livelihood of the thousands of people who will be affected by this spill for decades to come.

& what makes you think other countries would let the USA take such action, without getting ((( OUR ))) fair share.

After all this is not BP's first environmental disaster, is it now.

B.P owes money & clean up costs to other countries long before the USA would ever see a cent.

either way.

It looks like Iran has had the last laugh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Iranian_Oil_Company

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BP
rath

Postby Questioner101 » Sat May 29, 2010 3:41 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/30/us/30 ... ss&emc=rss

Well, that plan was a fail. Now their thinking of "Floatels" for workers to clean hard-to-reach marshy areas....(yup, that's a plan.)
"I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request."
Questioner101

Postby frrostedman » Sat May 29, 2010 5:34 pm

Although I still suspect foul play in the exploding and sinking of the oil rig, I'm still angry with BP. Before the incident, BP assured the administration that they had the "technology" to deal with this very situation and clean it up. It's obvious that they lied. I'm also angry with the administration for giving BP a free pass on the assumption they would be safe and compliant.

The administration invited this problem, and BP lied in saying they could handle it. Both should be held accountable all the way to the end. And if in fact it was some environmental terrorist group that sabotaged the rig, they should all be imprisoned for life without parole.
Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein
frrostedman

Postby evutch » Sun May 30, 2010 9:26 am

oh yeah, that fantasy makes sense. i'll bet genius Rush thought of that one.
environmental communists did it.
yeah..
because capalists have never exploited resources eh?
and never took short cuts or damaged anything for profit..
yeah, MUST have been sierra club green peacers.
yeah.

because a freedom loving free enterprise company that benefits all of us would NEVER be able to lose multiple checks or safty system s to protect workers..
never..
wow.
and besides, we ALL know those damn commie enviro wackos will stop at nothing to look good washing birds on a beach. they LIVE for that.
and now look at ALL the money they'll be getting. eh? all worth it.
yeah, sure.
evutch

Postby vulcan6gun » Sun May 30, 2010 5:21 pm

The bottom line is: we've got over 40 million gallons of oil wrecking the Gulf ecosystem, and the closest thing to a plan so far is to wait another month or more for relief wells, while another 40 million gallons or more of crude oil leaks out. This isn't a laughing matter, or an item to waste time & effort on with political debates or finger-pointing. Saying that such-and-such could have done something-or-other isn't fixing anything.

It's a matter of time before the oil gets into the Gulf Stream, no matter how much anyone tries to sugar-coat it. We're not talking about messing up rich folks' beaches; we're talking about poisoning some of the largest, most productive fisheries on the planet. We're talking about dumping huge quantities of toxic chemicals into one-sixth of the global water supply. We're talking about potentially killing the northern half of an entire ocean.

And all because certain people wanted to make Tesla look like a crazy man, and succeeded.
Vulcan6gun

"Would you like your scientific research grilled, or roasted?"--Unknown Japanese whaler
vulcan6gun

Postby greeney2 » Sun May 30, 2010 5:24 pm

I herd it would take until August to fix them.
greeney2

Postby Aquarian » Mon May 31, 2010 9:11 am

Yeah, BP also said that they have continuously worked on the "Top Kill" method, but to our dismay, they stopped multiple times- thanks to the revelation provided by the top Navy Commander "supervising" the "clean-up" and attempts to cap the gushing oil. The question we should ask ourselves is why is our federal government allowing BP to take charge of this? Why are workers receving $5-7,000 in checks when many of them have lost 3+ weeks of work. The locals have said they make somewhere between $15,000-20,000 in a month (they work for 4-6 months of the year), yet they have been completely short-changed by BP. Alas, BP is a symptom of the capitalist framework. Any attempt to avoid regulatory mechanisms, short-changing of workers, slashing of compensation, etc. is all done in an effort to preserve a profit margin- ie; Capitalism.

Vulcan, I agree with you wholeheartedly on the Tesla comment. That man was a genius and he was robbed of his ingenuity.

People that continue to say we don't have the monies or infrastructure to support an economy fueled by safe alternative fuels are people that have been duped by the fossil fuel industry- and their clear stranglehold on government.

$20 billion dollars or more a quarter (that's 3 months for BP) is scandalous enough.
A seizure of all their assets would be a step in the right direction.
Criminal charges and consequential proceedings would be absolutely appropriate.
The Few assume to be the deputies, but they are often only the despoilers of the Many.
Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
Aquarian

Postby rath » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:46 am

Aquarian wrote:$20 billion dollars or more a quarter (that's 3 months for BP) is scandalous enough.
Criminal charges and consequential proceedings would be absolutely appropriate.

To what end.

Considering the vast number of people & countries' BP already owes compansation to for past environmental catastrophes, it would not help the people affected by this oil spill ....

No US claimant would see a cent in compensation!

Not before all the other past claims are paid in full .... & by that point in time,
there would not be much left for the USA to claim anyway.

Proof of that fact is evident !

Take the exxon valdez compensation claims ..... the fight still rages over 20 years latter.

http://www.accidentsdirect.com/injury-l ... twist.aspx

Knobody would let the USA confiscate BP or Exon mobil, if it meant they / we would lose Their /our right to restitutions & compansation owed to us, for past Claims & legal costs from
BP's previous environmental catastrophes ....... & subsequent court rulings.
rath

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts