The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

So, how about that oil spill....

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby greeney2 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:47 am

One of those options is Nuclear Inja, but if the get a step ahead of themselves before we have safe technology, that was a disaster in Chernobol. We had something in the space business called "can't fail" solutions, however no matter how good the plan is, something can fail. This is a classic case of only being as strong as the weakest link, and obviously the techology failed when the weakest link was the pipe going into the ground 5000 feet deep. It had no redundant back up, so if the main pipe failed, a back up secondary could have deverted the oil into a separate emergency system design. Technology is expensive becasue even the simplist feature if skimped on, can bite you in the rear end, everytime. Thats why you have $1000 toilet seats sometimes. In the case of Chernobol, they built their plants without containment buildings, like we have in the USA. Look what happened when they had the "China Syndrome", no place to go, but let radioactivity escape, just like this oil leak, only a panic situation of "How do we stop it".

We have had bridges fall, and dams break, and in the end its the same as this oil leak and Chernobol. The technology was not perfected, and there was no "Can't fail" systems in place. Even the WTC didn;t imagine the worse case senerio we all watched on 911. We roll the dice too often and gamble on sucess, and ignore the "What if" questions.
greeney2
 
Posts: 9584
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby qmark » Thu May 27, 2010 11:03 am

Aquarian wrote:Obama would be wise to heed the advice of the radical environmentalists unless he wants more disasters like this to possibly occur. Now it is not the time to capitulate to corporate interests, as he has since his campaigning days. All this talk about being "tough" on BP is doubletalk, aimed at an effort to placate the sentiments of the "progressive" left. It's not working.


Apparently, Obama, the idiot that he is, is not as suicidal as you.

It would be nuts to believe you can just turn the switch off and expect the country to survive. Or, is that the change you are hoping for? There currently is no infrastructure to support any other source of energy. It will take decades to build a new support system, a new infrastructure, so we can smoothly transition away from fossil fuels. In the mean time, to survive as a nation, we need to use all the resources available.

On a side note, crooked business practices is not a fault with capitalism, it is indicative of the total lack of morality that exists in the world today. And you know what I feel is the root cause of that.
qmark
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby greeney2 » Thu May 27, 2010 11:13 am

That lack of morality, comes from the top of all these companies. They buy and sell divisions with the people in them, with no regard to their fate. They violate safety rules and ride the fine line of just complying with regulations. They have no regard for the long term concern of this earth. Didn;t the CEO of BP already bail out and quit? These people are all the same, walking out on resonsibility, and not caring when they take their $50M bonuses when they quit.
greeney2
 
Posts: 9584
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby bionic » Thu May 27, 2010 11:31 am

I saw today on Yahoo news that Obama has come out and taken this on..finally..hopefully a good sign..Heard that the mud now being dumped on the leak might be working to seal it...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obama
still there will be the massive clean up to be done..damage control
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
User avatar
bionic
 
Posts: 9884
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby qmark » Thu May 27, 2010 7:50 pm

greeney2 wrote:That lack of morality, comes from the top of all these companies. They buy and sell divisions with the people in them, with no regard to their fate. They violate safety rules and ride the fine line of just complying with regulations. They have no regard for the long term concern of this earth. Didn;t the CEO of BP already bail out and quit? These people are all the same, walking out on resonsibility, and not caring when they take their $50M bonuses when they quit.


The lack of morality may exist at the top of these companies, but it doesn't come from these companies. Those are individual decisions made by corrupt humans working at these companies. Capitalism is just a framework for business.
qmark
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby bionic » Thu May 27, 2010 10:26 pm

I was thinking. If they can't plug it(because it's so under pressure and gushing..it blows all corks) they should try to at least divert it by lowering some kind of hose-like tube around it and send it into some kind of container/containment until thye figure out HOW to plug it..damage control.

Like syphoning gasoline.

if you use that idea BP..I want to be PAID :lol:

really..somebody..at least try it
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
User avatar
bionic
 
Posts: 9884
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby Ninor » Thu May 27, 2010 11:25 pm

bionic wrote:I was thinking. If they can't plug it(because it's so under pressure and gushing..it blows all corks) they should try to at least divert it by lowering some kind of hose-like tube around it and send it into some kind of container/containment until thye figure out HOW to plug it..damage control.

Like syphoning gasoline.

if you use that idea BP..I want to be PAID :lol:

really..somebody..at least try it


All that has to be done is that another well has to be drilled at an angle (slant well) below the ocean surface to intercept and seal the well before it reaches the ocean. It's done all the time to cap surface wells that have suffered a similar failure, usually due to a fire/explosion that ruptures the well head. I don't understand why this already hasn't been done weeks ago (other than the fact that it will cost millions and millions of dollars).

As to the fate of BP ... I think the Corporation should have all it's assets seized, then be disincorporated/dissolved. Then, all the proceeds from the liquidation of it's assets should be put in a public trust and used to clean up the mess that it's negligence has caused to the environment and loss of livelihood of the thousands of people who will be affected by this spill for decades to come.
Ninor
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:20 pm

Postby qmark » Fri May 28, 2010 5:26 am

Ninor wrote:As to the fate of BP ... I think the Corporation should have all it's assets seized, then be disincorporated/dissolved. Then, all the proceeds from the liquidation of it's assets should be put in a public trust and used to clean up the mess that it's negligence has caused to the environment and loss of livelihood of the thousands of people who will be affected by this spill for decades to come.


So . . . your response would be to affect the livelihood of thousands of more people?
qmark
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby Ninor » Fri May 28, 2010 10:55 am

qmark wrote:
Ninor wrote:As to the fate of BP ... I think the Corporation should have all it's assets seized, then be disincorporated/dissolved. Then, all the proceeds from the liquidation of it's assets should be put in a public trust and used to clean up the mess that it's negligence has caused to the environment and loss of livelihood of the thousands of people who will be affected by this spill for decades to come.


So . . . your response would be to affect the livelihood of thousands of more people?


If, by the "thousands of people", you mean the employees of BP, the answer is yes, but ... the real workers would get a good severance package from the sale of all of BP's assets. The upper management and the engineers that were in charge of the well (it's design, installation, maintenance, etc.) would get zip ... nada ... nothing. I also believe that those same engineers and upper management, should never be allowed to own shares or work in the oil industry again.
Ninor
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:20 pm

Postby Questioner101 » Fri May 28, 2010 2:59 pm

They drug their feet to try and save "the oil" instead of capping the well. It's all about the money, folks.
"I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request."
User avatar
Questioner101
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion Topics

  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 10 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 292 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:19 pm
  • Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 1 guest