The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Questions that make you think...

Does the MWI imply I should be rich?

In this forum, questions are asked which are really tough to answer. Some philosophical, some regarding morality and many others. Have fun, and post your own personal tough questions!

Postby at1with0 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:37 am

MWI = many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics. It posits the existence of alternate, "parallel" universes.

There are some people who believe that everything that can happen does happen. If that is the case, there is a parallel where I am both willing and able to transport a pot of gold to me here and now. But this hasn't happened. Then either it is impossible for me to be willing and able to send myself a pot of gold or it is not the case that everything that can happen does happen.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby bionic » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:17 pm

It's a paradox. Kind of like a time paradox.

If the other you sends a pot of gold to this you there still needs to be a reality inwhich it did not arrive(at leas tone)..because all possible outcomes are playing out at once.
If there is a you that is trying to send a pot of gold to you in all outcomes then new outcomes in which you did not recieve it pop up right away.

Because all possibilities need to represented and ,be played out. (apparenlty you are in the outocme inwhihc it hasn't arrived..yet..at least)

kinda like wack-a-mole

do me a favor..you in some reality that is sending pots of gold out to all other you's that you can...send me one, too..this me..here..in this reality 8-)
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
bionic

Postby at1with0 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:43 pm

It's evidence against the MWI, unless it is impossible for me to have a pot of gold in any parallel.
at1with0

Postby Dark-Samus » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:37 am

It would be equally possible for you to be utterly poor.
Truth doesn´t control you, you control it...
Dark-Samus

Postby at1with0 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:52 am

In some parallel, there is a me who is both willing and able to send me a pot of gold, in this parallel, presently.
But this hasn't happened.
at1with0

Postby sheye » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:15 am

There are some people who believe that everything that can happen does happen. If that is the case, there is a parallel where I am both willing and able to transport a pot of gold to me here and now. But this hasn't happened. Then either it is impossible for me to be willing and able to send myself a pot of gold or it is not the case that everything that can happen does happen.

(smiles) ^ if someone can send me the rainbow , I'll do my best to get you that "pot of Gold" ^ 8-) ;)

Always wanted my own rainbow...(would be way cool) :lol: :D
sheye

Postby sandra » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:23 pm

Not everything that 'can' happen does happen.
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
sandra

Postby at1with0 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:32 pm

sandra wrote:Not everything that 'can' happen does happen.

That would appear to be the case if the MWI is somehow flawed. Either that or I am not simultaneously willing and able to send a pot of gold across parallels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation

In many-worlds, the subjective appearance of wavefunction collapse is explained by the mechanism of quantum decoherence. By decoherence, many-worlds claims to resolve all of the correlation paradoxes of quantum theory, such as the EPR paradox[7][8] and Schrödinger's cat,[1] since every possible outcome of every event defines or exists in its own "history" or "world". In layman's terms, there is a very large—perhaps infinite[9]—number of universes, and everything that could possibly have happened in our past, but didn't, has occurred in the past of some other universe or universes.
at1with0

Postby frrostedman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:52 pm

MWI holds true. You received the pot of gold from your parallel self, and blew it hosting huge parties, and ingesting large quantities of mind-altering drugs. Now you're so burned out from the experience you don't remember it happening.

In another parallel, a parallel you received the pot of gold and is enjoying it responsibly.

The fact that you are a broke burnout with a flakey memory actually proves the case for MWI.
"But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about Jesus being a great teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." C.S. Lewis
frrostedman

Postby at1with0 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:02 am

It is not the case that everything imaginable happens in a parallel universe. If it were, then in infinitely many parallels, parallel ME's are sending pots of gold to one place, here where I am.
If anything is possible, then it is possible that the statement "anything is possible" is false.
at1with0

Next

Return to Questions that make you think...

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts