The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Sci-Fi TV/Movies

Avatar...not a bad little film...

Sci-Fi has amazed audiences since the dawn of television and movies. Come on in to chat about anything and everything Science Fiction.

Postby event_horizon » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:46 pm

mrshumphreys wrote:Yup.

Aliens was great, I'll grant you that. T2...meh. I liked the first better. Cameron is OVERRATED. Two of the highest grossing films, sure, but they're both complete and utter pants. Sorry. Titanic was slow frickin torture. Avatar was average, at best. Watchable, but nothing great. Cameron's success is undeniable, but his talent is debatable. All his best work was over a decade ago, and most of his success is easily explainable by the lack of taste among the general audience. People like stupid movies. *shrug* event, you can pretend I don't know what I'm talking about all you want, but it's an opinion. I see Cameron as making popular movies, not great ones. Sort of like Michael Bey, except they make a lot more sense and are at least watchable.


First you admit you like the "stupid movies" along with everybody else, then at the same time you say T1 is better than T2? And T2 is "utter pants"? :shock: Oh my freakin' goodness, are you high? :?

mrshumphreys wrote:Cameron's success is undeniable, but his talent is debatable. All his best work was over a decade ago'


Well, considering James Cameron hadn't made a movie in over a decade, your "point" is quite irrelevant. :lol: You don't know what the hell you're talkin' about.
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
User avatar
event_horizon
 
Posts: 1621
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:51 am
Location: Colorado

Postby mrshumphreys » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:37 pm

Erm I said "people" like stupid movies, not me.

As for the decade ago comment, I meant two.
I know exactly what I'm talking about. I'm talking about people who like crappy, middle of the road lowest common denominator bullshit movies. People like you, apparently. :roll: So what? I'm not sure why you're so offended by it.
"It's like arguing with a brick wall, except the brick wall thinks you're an idiot, and thinks it's winning." - Humphreys, that sexy beast.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
User avatar
mrshumphreys
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am
Location: R'lyeh

Postby Rollin_Round » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Just had to weigh in on this. As a former graphics student, I have to say that the work it took to make the CGI parts of the movie move so seamlessly within the live action shots as well as creating the accurate perspectives in the flight scenes is time consuming, tedious and difficult. I have the utmost respect for all the men and women that made this movie visually stunning. As for plot, its a little overdone but whereas some see it as trying to prove that the natives couldn't fight by themselves or the guy was a traitor or whatever I see it as a hope that people can turn away from the greed and self-serving violence that fuels the world as we know it and can embrace a sense of responsibility that encompasses the actions of one and the consequences it has on many. Scoff and shake your head or whatever but I like stories where the under dog wins and people find moments of peace, family and a sense of doing something good for more than just themselves.

And people, movies are mostly fiction. Entertainment. They're there to be enjoyed, provide a diversion to everyday life. No need to take it so seriously.
Rollin_Round
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:12 pm

Postby event_horizon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:52 pm

mrshumphreys wrote:Erm I said "people" like stupid movies, not me.


Erm you said "All his best work was over a decade ago, and most of his success is easily explainable by the lack of taste among the general audience. People like stupid movies."

Yet you confess to liking 'Aliens' and 'Terminator' (which was over a decade ago, or "two"). You might want to work on how you word yourself.

mrshumphreys wrote:As for the decade ago comment, I meant two.


Oooops, I had my ESP key turned off, sorry.

mrshumphreys wrote:I know exactly what I'm talking about. I'm talking about people who like crappy, middle of the road lowest common denominator bullshit movies.


'Avatar' is the highest grossing film of all time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hi ... sing_films

How's that for "lowest common denominator"? :lol: Yep, you still don't know what you're talkin' about.
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
User avatar
event_horizon
 
Posts: 1621
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:51 am
Location: Colorado

Postby mrshumphreys » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:47 pm

It's still sh*t, just like Titanic was.
:P
"It's like arguing with a brick wall, except the brick wall thinks you're an idiot, and thinks it's winning." - Humphreys, that sexy beast.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
User avatar
mrshumphreys
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am
Location: R'lyeh

Postby shadowcass » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:48 am

Avatar is a cartoon, basically. It's all computer animation. There is certainly nothing original about the plot of the movie.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/63085/the-out ... -chameleon
User avatar
shadowcass
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:36 pm

Postby chiselray » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:10 am

mrshumphreys wrote:It's still sh*t, just like Titanic was.
:P



titanic failure of a movie..
User avatar
chiselray
 
Posts: 1539
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am
Location: earth

Postby Aquarian » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:57 am

You're just anti-Boat.
The Few assume to be the deputies, but they are often only the despoilers of the Many.
Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
User avatar
Aquarian
 
Posts: 780
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am
Location: Miami, Florida

Postby chiselray » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:31 am

name calling is a bit out of order..
User avatar
chiselray
 
Posts: 1539
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am
Location: earth

Postby Aquarian » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:23 am

LOL, I was kidding. :P
The Few assume to be the deputies, but they are often only the despoilers of the Many.
Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
User avatar
Aquarian
 
Posts: 780
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am
Location: Miami, Florida

PreviousNext

Return to Sci-Fi TV/Movies

  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 10 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 292 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:19 pm
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests