The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Modern Relationships and Social Issues

Is Sex Addiction Real?

Let's face it - we all have them. Come on in to offer advice, or maybe get some advice.

Postby mael » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:56 am

Dark-Samus wrote:Yeah right maelstrom :lol: ;)

;) Yeahhh!
mael

Postby Aquarian » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:17 pm

SEX ADDICTION is not recognized by the American Psychological or Psychiatric association. They define it as a "learned sexual behavior" that defies social norms and expectations.

So Why Isn’t Sexual Addiction a Recognized Disorder?

It’s hard to say with any certainty. Levin and Troiden (1988) argue that simply shifting societal values are the main reason to blame. They also bemoaned both the soft science underlying the supposed condition and the spate of media attention of “sexual addiction” in the 1980s (not unlike the media attention given to this same concern nearly 20 years later!). Levin and Troiden also level many additional criticisms at “sexual addiction” as a stand-alone disorder, but most of them are comparatively weak and technical in nature.

Compulsions, as defined by the DSM-IV, are not something that bring a person pleasure. That is why gambling is defined as simply “pathological” and not “compulsive.” The only recognition in the DSM-IV that a person might engage in an enjoyable sexual activity to some extreme is the inclusion of a class of sexual disorders known as paraphilias. Paraphilias are “recurrent, intense sexually arousing fantasies, sexual urges, or behaviors generally involving (1) nonhuman objects, (2) the suffering or humiliation of oneself or one’s partner, or (3) children or other nonconsenting persons.” So while arguably the DSM-IV recognizes sexual compulsions, it’s only in the context of some sexual object, scene or person.

One can’t deny the people who flock to clinicians’ doors looking for treatment for sexual addiction, however, no more than one can deny that people believe they are “addicted” to the Internet. What is both amazing and a little disturbing, however, is to see entire professional societies, such as the Society for the Advancement of Sexual Health, spring up around a disorder that isn’t even officially recognized as such. And despite no clinical agreed-upon criteria for sex addiction, the Society estimates that 3 to 5% of Americans have it.

Despite there being no agreed-upon clinical definition of the disorder, clinicians and doctors are happily treating thousands of patients for this disorder every year. The treatments of choice? Antidepressants and 12 step programs:

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2 ... tion-real/
The Few assume to be the deputies, but they are often only the despoilers of the Many.
Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
Aquarian

Postby Dark-Samus » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:33 pm

Potato, Potatoe, the only thing certain is that they are too weak to control themsevles no matter what it is.
Truth doesn´t control you, you control it...
Dark-Samus

Postby sheye » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:16 am

Potato, Potatoe, the only thing certain is that they are too weak to control themsevles no matter what it is.

WTF Dark???..now yuz sayin' the potatoe or potatata..or rotten potatoe turned into vodka..is all insubsequential??....they are all touz weak..to control themselves ??....in what aspewct..in natural..."life giving" aspects??

sighs < its been a hard days night...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQwwqajZXD8

^ GOLD^
(sheye starts twisting....and smiling the lob sided Mona Lisa smile...)
sheye

Postby sheye » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:19 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA9maAERDAs&NR=1

^ dedicated ...to ^ ???..all those who just love sex..and what it creates...LIFE...

shhh..sorta an Easter Theme.....(smiles)..
sheye

Postby sheye » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:09 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhBrevk7 ... re=related

She Said She Said >>by .....The beatles..

deidicated to sandra.....and to all..who struggle with the skills for proper communication...(myself very much included in this dedication prayer)'
sheye

Postby sheye » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:45 am

lend me your ears ,and I'll sing you a song....and I'll try not to sing out of key...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBDF04fQKtQ&NR=1

No..I get by with a lil help from my friends....

gonna try with a lil help from my friends...

yes...I'm certain that it happens all the time.

ooo..hh..I get by with a lil help from my friends
sheye

Postby mael » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:13 am

Well I'm just off to get some. What shall I do??? I must be addicted.

... I'll be back here in a few hours to finish fixing that 50 year old wind-up clock I picked up from the junk shop yesterday. (Brake cleaner & WD-40 are amazing aren't they)!
mael

Postby sheye » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:15 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVyR_lqZAKs&NR=1

mael...I have a great story about a real "low rider"..I had bought but never got fixed up (crys sad tears)..you would have thought this old laurentian boat with the fins..and the fire flames on it..would have made an excellent body for a low"rider"..sad it didn't all turn out...

always wanted my own "low rider"
sheye

Postby mael » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:07 pm

Great song. I was about when that music worked for me.

Nice fingerwork! Now that reminds me of what my fingers were doing tonight!

I used 1000 wet/dry on the clock case. I thought it was bright orange plastic. But it's actually pink! I love the older stuff!
mael

PreviousNext

Return to Modern Relationships and Social Issues

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts