The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Ancient & Lost Civilizations

Old Europe 7000–1700 BC

Here, you can discuss the Mayans, Atlantis, the Aztecs and other ancient and lost civilizations.

Postby Aquatank » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:28 am

Certain terms are too generalized, and sometimes the generalizations within certain groups become "bad words". It becomes a problem in Anthropology that people outside science generalize terms without fully understanding them. Missing Link, Caveman, Theory, Witch, and so on and so on. So sometimes we are talking about a Form (as in Platonic Forms) and some people will automatically see the Form only in the extremes with no in betweens. Take the Form: Chair all chairs are different, but some people may only recognize Dinner Chair and Recliner as a proper chairs with all the less being less than chairs. But if the Form is Human, things get complicated. The same applies to art, inside the art world the definitioning things like form, movement, contrast, texture, color outside in the general populace its either art or not art, and hence if its not art what is it? I remember in art class there was in the artworld and the general populace a debate long ago whether photography was a legitimate art, in the end the artworld said yes it is. I think the debate is still out in the public though, because the real answer is yeah its art but there are a whole range of degrees from High art to really cruddy art.
Aquatank

Postby sandra » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:28 am

Yes I understand partially your point- I say partial, because its obvious to most people, I can take things way out of ordinary context and misapply terms to fit my own interpretations. Meaning sometimes physical properties alone don't regulate how I categorize things. Just thinking of a chair, someone like myself would starting thinking of all the possible physical properties along with all possible uses, meanings for uses....etc etc etc. and pretty soon I have a hot mess of connect the dots that just doesn't like to end.
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
sandra

Postby Aquatank » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:39 pm

That was always the problem with Platonic Form, Plato was trying to create a perfect abstract of the corporeal as if it were number. Just doesn't quite work. I remember hearing a thing on the news once about some highschool students who were asked what Chernoyble was and a large percentage answered the long word form of Chair, this was only about two years after the event if I recall correctly. And there in lies the problem Platonic Forms aren't really metaphysical abstracts as he thought but linguistic constructs that rely on a socially agreed upon shared definition. Without that kind of understanding, people end up being like those kids.
Aquatank

Postby sandra » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:52 pm

Aquatank wrote:Suggestion keep an eye on this story: Woman X or X Woman in the 30000BP -50000BP range, it's my opinion we still have living cousins who look enough like us that we don't even know they are there, but they may well know they aren't us. http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/03/ ... a-siberia/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www1.voanews.com/english/news/sc ... 00812.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hey I keep thinking about this- Have you come accross anything new, any new information??
Keeps running through my head, I'll take a look as well, I haven't wanted to lose the flow of info on this one.
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
sandra

Postby Aquatank » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:36 am

Nah, not lately, my mind has been on the county fairand work, and neices and nephews
Aquatank

Postby Aquatank » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:45 pm

Aquatank

Previous

Return to Ancient & Lost Civilizations

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts